Wikipedia's 2012 MLB Uniforms

Silent Wind of Doom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Wikipedia recently change their policy? It used to be they wanted everything in SVG format, so I finally went and uploaded some logos in SVG, now it seems they only want raster (PNG) images these days.

Wait, what now? Why is that?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Did Wikipedia recently change their policy? It used to be they wanted everything in SVG format, so I finally went and uploaded some logos in SVG, now it seems they only want raster (PNG) images these days.

Wait, what now? Why is that?

I really have no idea. But, I recently uploaded a .SVG version of the new Blue Jays primary. Especially since anytime a raster logo is on the Wiki, you'll see a box saying "PLEASE UPLOAD IN A FREE VECTOR FORMAT." So I did, and probably a few hours later, someone reverted to the .PNG. I uploaded it again, it got reverted again. I did the same with the Miami Marlins logos, and again, both got reverted.

So I just quit. I thought people would have preferred vectors for a number of reasons, but I guess not. Maybe they don't like that I was uploading it, since my account is just run of the mill. Maybe they want a "distinguished" person to upload vector logos. I have no idea. But it appears for the moment, rasters are what the wiki wants.

Someday you'll realize that Wikipedia is pretty much crap when it comes to sports uniforms (well, a lot more than that too.) I'm not sure how there gets to be a few 'caretakers' of uniforms, but just the fact that there are no-nothing jackass dbags like Johnny Seoul who have any kind of authority over what gets uploaded there completely discredits the site.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Someday you'll realize that Wikipedia is pretty much crap when it comes to sports uniforms (well, a lot more than that too.) I'm not sure how there gets to be a few 'caretakers' of uniforms, but just the fact that there are no-nothing jackass dbags like Johnny Seoul who have any kind of authority over what gets uploaded there completely discredits the site.

johnny seoul is a nice guy

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe, but he admitted that he likes to troll. That extends to posting bigoted comments, which got him banned from these boards. If he's a nice guy, he's a nice guy who likes to play douchbag games on message boards.

Allowing people like that to take ownership of major projects, crowding our others, is one reason why Wikipedia is losing more credibility every day.

Sorry for my not touching this the day after I posted it, but life got busy. I was working on making the changes, though. Just didn't get to post here or upload them.

And thank you all those who posted corrections! See, I knew you guys would know all the little intracacies and would be an amazing help. This was just what I was looking for. Here's a few comments in response. Of course, the person who brought it up doesn't have to be the one to answer me. Anyone who can answer is welcome.

-Fox-

Twins: Hmm... Then if they don't use the M hat for the blue uniforms, what do they use them for?

Mariners: Any other uses for the teal-brimmed cap besides the teal alternates?

A's and Rays: Since they are both used on the home and road, I put them in any order. In these cases, the teams had three uniforms, then added a fourth alt, so the fourth alt was placed on the end. Plus, as has been pointed out on this board, the A's have constantly used the green alt while their other alt has been constantly changing.

Rangers: Good lord, the Rangers have made things a bit more complicated. I generally only consider variations on the uniform shirt to be considered different uniforms. I don't make seperate images for different combinations of pants, shirts, socks, or caps. If the Rangers continue using red at home, though, I may have to use the red shirt and socks with the home uniform. Does anyone know if they plan to continue this trend? I forget, did they wear the red cap as well?

-Gothamite-

Ohh... I've been seeing his name a lot in the boards... Did he get banned? Well, crap. I did not know that.

-RedSox44-

What the... Son of a... Someone uploaded a recolor of the Diamondbacks uniforms and didn't bother to upload it under the same filename, instead uploading it under a different name, not bothering to include it in the category and worst of all uploading it in the Commons under a free license even though all uniform images contain copyrighted material and need to be licensed as such. I'm gonna have to take care of that.

-NDwas-

Rangers: We get an image of the patches on the jerseys yet?

More coming when I get home tonight.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the the M hat for the Twins still exists but they almost never wear it. Last year they wore it once IIRC in honor of the 1991 championship team. The Mariners have said that the teal-brimmed hat is only for the teal alternate, but we'll have to see if they end up using it with any other jersey. I would be surprised if Texas stops using this combination but we'll have to wait and see.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Hmm, that "Diamondbacks recolor" on Wikipedia is uploaded by a user named "1124Jahgee4211". We had a guy around here a little while back named "Jahgee" who was banned for trolling, I believe. It's probably the same guy.

Also, don't forget about the Red Sox' Fenway Park 100th Anniversary sleeve patch!

250585_Red_Sox_Fenway_s_100th_Baseball.jpg

fenway100.jpg

spacer.png

Rockies and Giants: Thanks to the recent leak I've finally gotten these two done. However, I don't know if there's any news on the pants. I dunno if the Giants are changing the striping on their road pants, and I have no clue what the Rockies' pants are. I'm assuming they will be a brand new non-pinstriped set, so I have no clue what the striping is going to be.

Florida Marlins: The Florida Marlins are included in the index, but are no longer used as a current uniform in the infobox. This is simply an index of all the uniform images. The Florida Marlins uniform is included on the Miami Marlins page as an example of their pre-move look. Whether or not the powers that be will accept this use is yet to be seen, and it may yet be removed. We'll see.

Royals and Rangers: I'm holding out for an image of these patches on the uniforms for a good view of size and stuff.

Toronto Blue Jays: I based the shoes off the unveiling picture, which shows almost all of the players wearing black shoes with blue laces, save for the one person wearing white shoes. We'll have to see what they use during Spring Training.

Quillz: May I ask what your screenname is in Wikipedia?

Arizona Diamondbacks: I will make the change, but awwwww... Jahgee too? I made a championship sig for him. He was one of the first ones I did one for, as a matter of fact.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quillz: May I ask what your screenname is in Wikipedia?

Drygnfyre. I've uploaded a bunch of .SVG logos in the past, including the new primary Blue Jays one, and while most have been accepted, the Blue Jays one keeps getting reverted to a .PNG.

Toronto Blue Jays: I based the shoes off the unveiling picture, which shows almost all of the players wearing black shoes with blue laces, save for the one person wearing white shoes. We'll have to see what they use during Spring Training.

The Jays will be wearing blue shoes.

Here is a photo of Arencibia's new cleats https://p.twimg.com/AhE3IlgCQAEHgQ-.jpg:large

So what is the vector policy, Wind? And if it changed, why?

I have noticed that the "please replace with SVG" info box has disappeared. Maybe the Wiki just doesn't allow SVGs anymore, since they can theoretically be scaled to any size, and they felt that made it a copyright violation.

I was an avid Wikipedia editor a few years back, but I kinda got majorly off-track. I'm an MSPaint user so I never liked the SVG focus. If it's gone, then I'm glad. Now I can do more logo work (before focusing on the uniforms I'd also been the one to get the logos in sync). I don't know what's going on with the policy, but if it's trending towards stuff I can actually edit, I'm all right with that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was an avid Wikipedia editor a few years back, but I kinda got majorly off-track. I'm an MSPaint user so I never liked the SVG focus. If it's gone, then I'm glad. Now I can do more logo work (before focusing on the uniforms I'd also been the one to get the logos in sync). I don't know what's going on with the policy, but if it's trending towards stuff I can actually edit, I'm all right with that.

But you can get Inkscape for free, of, if you click on the actual SVG logo, it was always available in variously sized raster formats.

Archived