2013 Winter and Heritage Classic's

goalieboy82

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outdoors.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why is there an apostrophe in "Classics"?

This is what I want; I know that the league would never do it and why.

Anyways, put new teams in the WC: NJ @ Minn

HC: TO @ Wpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Heritage should certainly involve Winnipeg in some form, because of the fact that they've just come back to the league.

Proposal: Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets with the location either being at the new Investors Group Field (the new home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers that they'll move to for the coming CFL season) or Canad Inns Stadium (the Blue Bombers' old home).

While I have a definitive proposal for the Heritage Classic, the Winter Classic is wide open for me. I do think it should leave the northeast (or at least the Pennsylvania teams).

Proposal: St. Louis Blues at Minnesota Wild at Target Field

Of course, the Red Wings and Blackhawks could be equally valid in the Blues' position.

If the NHL feels it must have the next Winter Classic in the northeast, you can't go wrong with Boston Bruins at New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium, to play up the whole "Red Sox-Yankees" "Boston-New York" rivalry. We could also have Devils/Rangers at MetLife Stadium. A classic between the Bruins and Sabres (Buffalo and Boston have been rivals on the gridiron since the early days of the AFL, and a burgeoning rivalry on the ice too, after the whole "Lucic on Miller" debacle) at Ralph Wilson or Gillette (or Fenway) would be fun.

spacer.png

Both Minnesota and Detroit are probably the most valid candidates for 2013. Minneapolis has two potential venues in Target Field and TCF Bank Stadium. Minnesota also has a large hockey fan base - whether it be high school, collegiate, or professional. The Wild lack big name talent, however, although they could have a big-name in Mikael Granlund if he lives up to the hype.

Detroit, on the other hand, is popular enough to sellout a 100,000 seat venue. Detroit would have better ratings than anything Minnesota is involved in at the moment. Keep in mind, the Wild have no true rival due to their spot in the Northwest Division. No one can really get behind a Canucks/Wild or Wild/Avalanche rivalry because Minnesota isn't close to any of those teams. The new division setup will allow for natural rivalries to form with Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, etc. (and potential playoff meetings that would propel those rivalries). Rivalries lead to ratings, and right now a Detroit/Toronto game is the bigger draw.

Please, don't even think about going to the northeast next year, NHL. Boston had their turn, so did Pennsylvania. If anything, New York should get it. I wouldn't want to see the same teams play in it and same cities host it year-in and year-out.

I'd say for the Winter Classic, I'd think its time to move it west. I'm hoping for Minnesota vs. Dallas @ Target Field or Colorado vs. either St. Louis or Detroit @ Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Heritage Classic, I'd say either Winnipeg or Toronto host, but I'd like to even say Montreal would be interesting.

baltimoreravens.png

What's the NHL's obsession with having a Pennsylvania team in the Winter Classic every year (save for Chicago/Detroit) anyway?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What's the NHL's obsession with having a Pennsylvania team in the Winter Classic every year (save for Chicago/Detroit) anyway?

It'd make (more) sense if either one was in the Original Six, but they're not. Maybe they're trying to expand their market? In Pennsylvania? For some reason? I dunno. The WC should at the very least move away from the Pennsylvania teams, even if it stays in the northeast.

spacer.png

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/After-Detroit-in-2013-where-will-the-Winter-Cla?urn=nhl-wp21472

Puck Daddy made some predictions. I could see Detroit hosting it next year though, I can still hope for the Caps to get it soon. Even Uncle Ted made a bold statement.

"My pipe dream is a Winter Classic at "neutral site" Camden Yards, as the Capitals have made inroads into the Baltimore market."

baltimoreravens.png

Well there is only three places in Canada that can host an outdoor game. Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. Calgary, Edmonton have already done so that cancels them out. Winnipeg is getting a new stadium so that should easily make them the front runners. Vancouver doesn't play outdoors and is too warm, Toronto has BMO, but no one outside of TFC gets BMO, Ottawa doesn't have a stadium right now, and Percival-Molson in Montreal is too small I believe.

Heritage Classic - Investors Group Field

Jets vs. Canucks

Winter Classic - TCF Bank Stadium

Wild vs. Sharks

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yankee Stadium cannot host a Winter Classic as they host a bowl game a few days prior to New Years, and there isnt enough time for turnover. Citi Field and Metlife Stadium would be the NY Metro sites.

That being said, I think a great site for the 2013 Winter Classic would be Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, with the Red Wings hosting somebody. Toronto would be a great match, but NBC seems to want to avoid the Canadian teams.

I was beginning to think I was the only one tired of the same 5 teams in the Winter Classic, Its tiring and getting boring seeing Philly or Boston or Pittsburgh in it. if its a northeast team again next year I'm going to boycott it.

now for my choices...

Red Wings/Blackhawks/Stars vs. Wild @ TCF Bank Stadium - Why TCF? because all the baseball stadium games look to have THE WORST SIGHTLINES EVER. This years WC no one had a good view at all and Football fields seem to be the best choice because they're usually more intimate and surrounded. Whereas Baseball fields they're out in the middle of the field and no one is ever close to the action, I'd hate to buy one of the nosebleeds in a baseball field for a WC, seems like a huge waste.

Minnesota is the State of Hockey for christ sakes and there hasn't been a WC yet? Every year I hear about how the ice conditions could be terrible due to rain or warmer weather but yet yesterday at the time of the WC, Minneapolis was 19 degrees.. seems like perfect weather for playing an outdoor game.

Red Wings vs. Avalanche @ Mile High - great rivalry and I wanna see a WC in the western side of the country. Avs have a big youth explosion that they can build a story around and the Red Wings are.. well the Red Wings.

Sharks vs. Canucks @ CenturyLink Field in Seattle - Neutral site, great stadium, good rivalry and gives the West Coasters a chance to play in the WC.

spacer.png

Archived