goalieboy82

2013 Winter and Heritage Classic's

The best candidate for the Heritage Classic next year would probably be the Canucks and Jets. Both teams are marketable in Canada, and Vancouver just renovated BC Place to have a retractable roof. If you don't like that, the Blue Bombers are opening a new stadium next season.

Calgary hosted the last one, and Edmonton isn't marketable right now, but can be very marketable in a few years if they build around their young studs, and they have Commonwealth Stadium.

I don't see it happening in Toronto, because they lock the roof at the Rogers Centre from about October to March. Ottawa doesn't have a solid stadium right now. Montreal could play at the new Impact stadium, but it would only have 20k seats.

So I think by default VAN/WIN would get the game.

I think there's a really good chance it's going to Detroit next year. I'd like to see it at the Big House, but chances are it'll be at Comerica with the owner situation. Baseball stadiums are really bad for this kind of thing. It was cool in Chicago and Boston because of the historical factor of their parks, but everybody else should host it at a football field if possible. And as much as I'd like to see the Hawks as the opponent, I don't think they would rehash an old matchup so fast. The Penguins have played twice, but they had a different opponent each time. And I'd highly doubt Toronto comes too. I just don't think they'd have enough draw for a casual American fan that a team in the states would have.

Vancouver @EDM or Toronto & Ottawa. Too soon for the Peg. Earn your stripes.

Ideally, sure.

The problem is that Toronto, Monteal, and Ottawa lack outdoor venues big enough to satisfy the NHL. Vancouver, as a rule, has mild winters, so the atmosphere won't be there. Edmonton and Calgary have already hosted it. Winnipeg has the weather and a new outdoor stadium, plus rabid, excited fans. True they haven't been around as long, but they seem to be ideal hosts for the next Heritage Classic (if there is a next one).

Edmonton @ Winnipeg or Toronto @ Winnipeg would be ideal.

Lots of rumors flying today that Detroit will get it for 2013-- but the thing I wasn't expecting (again, these are merely rumors, as I cannot find a source) is that people are saying that the Maple Leafs would be coming to Detroit to play us.

Hope this is true, as this would make for a GREAT atmosphere. Not so sure about the Big House, (if Olympia wants to keep their share of the money) Comerica seems like a pretty likely place to have it-- especially being right downtown. Only time will tell, but it's about damn time Detroit gets a WC.

Another neat idea I saw mentioned on Puck Daddy: rolling the GLI in to the festivities for the week, and having a huge hockey heritage celebration. I would love to see that.

^Regarding the Maple Leafs playing in the game, the US had pretty decent ratings (by Hockey's standards) for the finals last year, which included not only a Canadian team, but a western Canadian team without the massive following of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Perhaps the network isn't as afraid of airing Canadian teams as they once were?

One day I hope to see the Blue Jackets host the game at Ohio Stadium, but I understand why they're never mentioned in the discussions. For one, unless they play Detroit I doubt they'd sell 100,000 tickets. Two, the team is awful right now and have no national draw so television ratings wouldn't be good. It'll take a bonafide Ovechkin/Crosby level superstar and years of deep playoff runs, if not Cup championships to get the game here. The team's national irrelevancy is just too high.

It's a pipe dream at the moment, but if they're still doing this in ten years, if the Jackets are still in Columbus, and if the Blue Jackets have built a team worth watching then maybe I could see it happening. It's not really that farfetched. I mean, who thought ten years ago that the Capitals would be one of the game's showcase teams? Sports change.

I think we'll see a game in New York, New Jersey, Minneapolis, Detroit, Denver, St. Louis, Washington, and cities that have already hosted the game before we'll see one in Columbus. It's too bad because Ohio Stadium would be a fun venue to host it. Certainly more historic than Citizens Bank Park or Heinz Field.

BTW, it was 25 degrees here on Monday.

Next year's basically a lock for Detroit. If that's the case, I'd guess we'll see them face the Sharks (playoff rivalry though the new conferences diminish this a bit), Leafs, Blues, or as a dark horse maybe the Wild considering NBC's airing them quite a bit these days. The Blackhawks would provide the biggest rivalry, but that ship already sailed in 2009.

As for the Heritage Classic, I'd go with Winnipeg. Make it a bit of a celebration of them getting their team back and the fanatical home environment they've got. Considering Vancouver's a bit too warm (the rain there is an issue more so than the temperature), have them involved in it. This one's a little tricky with Winnipeg being the only Canadian team in their conference next year, but Vancouver and Winnipeg could be the best case scenario with Calgary and Edmonton doing one already, Montreal having done two, and Toronto and Ottawa being a bit too east for this matchup.

Now personally, I'd like the Islanders in one at Kate Murray's house. That way I just have to look out the window to watch them play :P In all seriousness, here's how I think the next couple will go for the Winter Classic

2013: Detroit vs. San Jose, Comerica Park/Michigan Stadium

2014: Washington vs. Pittsburgh (yes I'm contradicting a previous point I made, but this is the NHL and NBC so...) Nationals Ballpark

2015: NY Rangers vs. Buffalo, Yankee Stadium OR vs. New Jersey, MetLife Stadium OR vs. NY Islanders, Citi Field. This all goes with what stadium's available and whether or not NBC wants to risk having two teams in the same market play or not

2016: Minnesota vs. Chicago/St. Louis, TCF Bank Stadium or Target Field (either way great views of the skyline)

As for the Heritage Classic, assumes it's an every-other-year deal

2013: Winnipeg vs. Vancouver (in Winnipeg)

2015: Toronto vs. Montreal (I have a feeling they'll come up with something stadium-wise to make this work)

2017: Edmonton vs. Ottawa (kinda throwing Ottawa a bone here to have them in one)

2015: Toronto vs. Montreal (I have a feeling they'll come up with something stadium-wise to make this work)

2017: Edmonton vs. Ottawa (kinda throwing Ottawa a bone here to have them in one)

What, like blow the roof off of Stade Olympique again?

I meant in Toronto. Whether that be BMO Stadium or elsewhere (home team's first in these cases)

I meant in Toronto. Whether that be BMO Stadium or elsewhere (home team's first in these cases)

BMO Stadium is too small (20 or 25K) and the weather is way too mild.

Comerica is the better choice. During winter break periods, a collegiate campus is essentially shut down, so union staff has to work an additional day during a holiday. Plus while UM has a liquor license taps are not going to pour in Michigan Stadium compared to Comerica or Ford Field. The Lions could play week 17 away from home at three locations to make it available and they have had the Frozen Four.

Ford Field is a roofed stadium. Sort of defeats the Winter Classic feel. Comerica is pretty much a lock, since Illitch owns the Wings and Tigers.

Detroit hosting Chicago seems like the most likely scenario. I'd like to see it in Comerica Park, as would Ilitch. I say this because of the skylines and I prefer baseball stadiums over football stadiums. However, I don't see them passing up The Big House. On top of having 60,000-70,000 more seats, it'll have much better viewing angles and much more history.

They can make the field but unlike the other stadiums the NHL has had a Winter Classic, you cannot sell booze in The Big House.

At all?

Yeah, winter doesn't really get going until after the New Year. It's possible it could work, but it's a gamble. Better then Vancouver though.

As for the Leafs in the Winter Classic? It's possible, but I doubt we'll see it. The NHL seems content to do the Winter=American Heritage=Canadian thing.

Yeah, winter doesn't really get going until after the New Year. It's possible it could work, but it's a gamble. Better then Vancouver though.

As for the Leafs in the Winter Classic? It's possible, but I doubt we'll see it. The NHL seems content to do the Winter=American Heritage=Canadian thing.

I really don't think they would do that at BMO, they aren't even playing soccer there in March, apparently due to plumbing issues. If they can't get the stadium ready for March then how can they have it ready for January?

Secondarily, it's quite obvious (as Icecap said) that the NHL is trying to use this to grow the sport in the USA, they don't need any help growing the game in Toronto. I don't see Toronto ever participating in these.

How are these Winter Classics "growing the sport in the USA" when they're featuring the same teams they almost-daily air while going up against college football games for ratings?

The luster of playing games outside is wearing off, especially when they're featuring teams that NBC and Versus already feature at least once or twice a week. I've seen enough Penguins, Capitals, and Flyers games to last a while.

I really don't think they would do that at BMO, they aren't even playing soccer there in March, apparently due to plumbing issues. If they can't get the stadium ready for March then how can they have it ready for January?

Secondarily, it's quite obvious (as Icecap said) that the NHL is trying to use this to grow the sport in the USA, they don't need any help growing the game in Toronto. I don't see Toronto ever participating in these.

BMO cannot be used in the winter. As mr.negative pointed out, there are plumbing issues. The pipes werent insulated, which means the bathrooms, concessions and most importantly the fire supression sprinklers can't work.

BMO cannot be used in the winter. As mr.negative pointed out, there are plumbing issues. The pipes werent insulated, which means the bathrooms, concessions and most importantly the fire supression sprinklers can't work.

That was the same issue with the Vikings and the Monday night game last year when the Metrodome roof caved in, but they were able to make it work. Now I don't know if BMO can or can't adapt like they could there, but they made it work for a one-time event.

That was the same issue with the Vikings and the Monday night game last year when the Metrodome roof caved in, but they were able to make it work. Now I don't know if BMO can or can't adapt like they could there, but they made it work for a one-time event.

I don't know the specifics, but they are moving the March Toronto FC champions league game to the Rogers Centre rather than playing it at BMO Field, so that tells me they aren't willing to pay for the repairs.

Anyone who thinks Denver should have the Winter Classic has never lived in Denver. It's likely to be 60 degrees on New Year's Day in Denver, and we don't have the humid, damp cold that sticks around like the Midwest and Northeast have. Denver's winter weather doesn't really lend itself to good outdoor hockey conditions.

Minnesota should definitely get a nod at some point.

I want there to be a Colorado-Detroit Winter Classic. Imagine Claude Lemieux and Kris Draper in an alumni game!