Super Bowl XLVI

buffalo50

I hesitate to even post this because I almost feel like I'm being punk'd.. or maybe I'm on Candid Camera or something -- but does anyone else feel like the logo for Super Bowl XLVI is straight-up pathetic and, well... insulting?

dmwp5m8hle1ain9n53bajt1er.gif

An obvious, lazy, continuation from the previous year...

fmdf6rwvy8syuhcwvtjek55fd.gif

Is that this for real? If so, it's sad really. I mean, I feel like that logo is disrespectful. Disrespecting both us and the history of the game. Consider all the beautiful Super Bowl logos that came before it... . I'm shaking my head right now. Surely I can't be the only person that feels this way? Perhaps there's even a post about this already? Of course I didn't check.

All the logo's up until about 1987 are pretty fantastic if you ask me... Certainly dated a litre, but all unique in their own way. From '87 on they somehow get a little 'samey', as if the same designed made them all... with the odd exception.

Anyway, that's what's grinding my gears today.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just brought this up to my brother-in-law last weekend. Such a disgrace to rehash last year's logo. I really hope they don't stick with it for the next however many years. But then again, if they change it for next year, it's going to look really awkward with every logo being unique and then two years of the exact same mediocrity. Big time fail

I just brought this up to my brother-in-law last weekend. Such a disgrace to rehash last year's logo. I really hope they don't stick with it for the next however many years. But then again, if they change it for next year, it's going to look really awkward with every logo being unique and then two years of the exact same mediocrity. Big time fail

The current SB logo/patch is permanent (for now). I remember reading that somewhere prior to last year's SB.

The current SB logo/patch is permanent (for now). I remember reading that somewhere prior to last year's SB.

Thats unfortunate

This is old news, but now that the playoffs are upon us, it does make sense to rehash this. Personally, it's extremely disappointing. I always enjoyed the originality of Super Bowl logos, and how they reflected the local area.

Though I must say, the logos over the last 5 years have been pretty lacking. I liked the XLIII logo, but that was it, and even that one didn't compare to many of the preceding Super Bowl logos. Also noticed that the past 5 years have seen barely any local influence on the logos - they put orange in anything happening in Miami, and made the hideous XLII logo a silhouette of Arizona, both of which are pretty lazy ways to "reflect" the host city.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I suppose they were trying to go for a classy looking permanent championship logo like the NBA Finals. I hate this though, I mean I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but it is unfortunate. It used to be so easy to recall which Super Bowl was which by looking at the logo, but now that definitely isn't going to be the case. Unless a Super Bowl turns out to be amazing they'll probably just all blend together now.

90758391980.gif

The shape of the XLV logo looked terribly awkward as a patch on the jerseys last year, IMO. The lack of the stadium on the patch left too much open space. XLVI probably isn't going to be any different. It's too bad, really. Not to mention, aside from the shape being unappealing, it's an awfully bland setup to make permanent.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Of course, they took one of the worst logos in recent memory to make permanent.

Wasn't quite like that.

They didn't choose this one at random. They designed it to be permanent. Everything that I dislike about it (lack of local flavor, bland color scheme) is a feature, not a bug.

Yeah, the idea is to make it like the Stanley Cup logos. Of course, the Stanley Cup logo makes more sense since the event is named after the trophy and the trophy looks cool. Also, the actual national logo drops the stadium so, even less of the logo has to change each year. To me, it feels a little like Arena League football's non-city specific logos for their championship which they use since they have a real thin grasp on event locations (money troubles).

I understand why they want some continuity with the logos, but I wish they decided to do it like the final four or winter classic, where the essence of the logo is the same but customized every year. If you look at the final four and winter classic logos as a group, you can see that they are instantly recognizable as such a logo, representing that event, but still different every year to reflect something unique about that years event.

If you look at the superbowl logos page on the mothership, all together they look more like any league page. Like all different team logos. I can see why the NFL sees that as a problem. But if they all had the same roman numeral font and superbowl script, but different colors and background every year it'd be perfect for everyone.

The way they chose to do it is bland and lazy.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

It's okay for the Stanley Cup, NBA Finals, World Series to have a standard logo because those games aren't played in a destination city that changes each year. Those games are played at the teams own stadiums. Events like All Star Games, and Bowl games should have individual logos and show some indentity with the host city each season.

Next year?

superbowlxlvii.gif

I'm guessing that's photoshopped. But yes, next year's logo is expected to look something like that.

Somewhat OT: As a Saints fan, this logo scares me. Why? The Super Bowl city curse. The team whose city is hosting the big game that season almost always has a losing record.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I hesitate to even post this because I almost feel like I'm being punk'd.. or maybe I'm on Candid Camera or something -- but does anyone else feel like the logo for Super Bowl XLVI is straight-up pathetic and, well... insulting?

dmwp5m8hle1ain9n53bajt1er.gif

An obvious, lazy, continuation from the previous year...

fmdf6rwvy8syuhcwvtjek55fd.gif

Is that this for real? If so, it's sad really. I mean, I feel like that logo is disrespectful. Disrespecting both us and the history of the game. Consider all the beautiful Super Bowl logos that came before it... . I'm shaking my head right now. Surely I can't be the only person that feels this way? Perhaps there's even a post about this already? Of course I didn't check.

All the logo's up until about 1987 are pretty fantastic if you ask me... Certainly dated a litre, but all unique in their own way. From '87 on they somehow get a little 'samey', as if the same designed made them all... with the odd exception.

Anyway, that's what's grinding my gears today.

I'm with you I don't mind the logo but I was hoping something like a race car or a checker flag to incorporate Indiana.

Archived