Super Bowl XLVI

buffalo50

Its not perfect, but its not that bad. I've recently taken a look at all of the previous Super Bowl Logos featured on this site and as much as I completely love many of them I abhor MOST of them. I would rather have one middle of the road logo each year that really isn't that bad but does the job as opposed to some of the total garbage logos that we've been blessed with in the past decade.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what the Grey Cup does in Canada. Beginning in 2004 there have been similar elements throughout the years (font, inclusion of trophy, maple leaf) but each design is original.

If the NFL were to this, it's be a great idea, while keeping the iconic elements.

At they very least they could make the "OFFICIAL" logo each year feature the logos of both teams in the game. That would at least make it easier to identify which logo applied to which matchup.

I wouldn't be so opposed to this homogenization of logos if the league didn't have such a rich tradition of creativity with past logos. (Not all of them were that great, but at least it was cool to see what the logo was going to be every year.)

The way it is now, it might as well be the Academy Awards, which I think changes its graphic every year.

Now that I think about it, if it's going to be (basically) the same every year, there is really no reason to even have a logo for the Super Bowl anymore. Just use the Lombardi Trophy (without numbers or a stadium) every year just like the Oscars use the ... well, Oscar.

Its not perfect, but its not that bad. I've recently taken a look at all of the previous Super Bowl Logos featured on this site and as much as I completely love many of them I abhor MOST of them. I would rather have one middle of the road logo each year that really isn't that bad but does the job as opposed to some of the total garbage logos that we've been blessed with in the past decade.

Couldn't disagree more. To me each SB had a logo that made me recollect the games and the cities the games were played in. This new crap is sterile, colorless and honestly soulless. I do agree that past logos weren't always great, but that was part of the fun as a logo nerd.

newsig.jpg

Couldn't disagree more. To me each SB had a logo that made me recollect the games and the cities the games were played in. This new crap is sterile, colorless and honestly soulless. I do agree that past logos weren't always great, but that was part of the fun as a logo nerd.

We agree to disagree.

Again, I would rather not have to recollect games and the cities that the games were played it with ultra crappy garbage logos that will be forever ingrained in the annals of NFL history. Refer to the NY Giants most recent Super Bowl victory in Arizona... historic game with unbelievable finish associated with a total crap logo...no thanks.

There is that.

The current "standard" logo might not be the best Super Bowl logo, but it's far from the worst.

not sure if its a product being married or being infused with a huge dose of reality but I'm more than happy with mediocre these days. :)

But it's still corporate, unimaginative and most of all, lazy.

Truth be told, I'd rather have a CRAP logo than this. Because at least the crap logo would be creative and not soul-less like this. And I, like every other sane person here knows that this really isn't a big deal at all. The NFL is still going to be the top league in this country and it will still be the Super Bowl.

But I just hate it because it's another reminder that art is dying and corporations rule. It's also just a little reminder that the No Fun League is starting to live up to that nickname more and more.

But hey, if ya like the repetitiveness and complete dull factor of this thing, go ahead.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Truth be told, I'd rather have a CRAP logo than this. Because at least the crap logo would be creative and not soul-less like this. And I, like every other sane person here knows that this really isn't a big deal at all. The NFL is still going to be the top league in this country and it will still be the Super Bowl.

But I just hate it because it's another reminder that art is dying and corporations rule. It's also just a little reminder that the No Fun League is starting to live up to that nickname more and more.

But hey, if ya like the repetitiveness and complete dull factor of this thing, go ahead.

I can't help but feel that your post, while passionate is littered with points based around your opinions and generalizations without any real constructive critique of the design. I've seen plenty of crap logos but have never seen a "soul-less" logo; don't know what that is. sorry.

The NFL made a conscious effort to brand their biggest game by highlighting an iconic symbol in football: The Vince Lombardi Trophy. While you may have issues with the execution of the design I don't think calling it "corporate" or "soul-less" even comes close to being correct. It was an intelligent decision and one that has been done similarly and very successfully in other sports leagues before. I'm not going to go into a huge discussion about this since I took part in the long thread that came out when the logos were unveiled. But I thought I should just at least respond to your post. In the end you are more than entitled to your opinion but just remember its not shared by all, and I'm one of those people even if I'm not quite as sane as everyone else ;)

The NFL made a conscious effort to brand their biggest game by highlighting an iconic symbol in football: The Vince Lombardi Trophy.

I feel this is the biggest mistake they made. The Lombardi Trophy looks great in the hands of the winners but the dimensions just make for a poor logo. The smallest element in the logo (besides the classy NFL shield) is the very name of the event. The name bars, TV networks, and, possibly, the common man can't say without getting the pants sued off them. If you make it bigger along with the numerals, you'd overwhelm the trophy. Put the trophy to the left or right and it feels unnecessary.

Oh well, it'll pass in a season or two when the NFL gets bored with it and they'll put up a new infuriating "system" of Super Bowl logos.

The NFL made a conscious effort to brand their biggest game by highlighting an iconic symbol in football: The Vince Lombardi Trophy.

I feel this is the biggest mistake they made. The Lombardi Trophy looks great in the hands of the winners but the dimensions just make for a poor logo. The smallest element in the logo (besides the classy NFL shield) is the very name of the event. The name bars, TV networks, and, possibly, the common man can't say without getting the pants sued off them. If you make it bigger along with the numerals, you'd overwhelm the trophy. Put the trophy to the left or right and it feels unnecessary.

Oh well, it'll pass in a season or two when the NFL gets bored with it and they'll put up a new infuriating "system" of Super Bowl logos.

Again, the execution isn't the best. I'm very confident that when done correctly that it could work quite nicely. The NBA finds a way to make their design work for the finals and their trophy is predominantly vertical. I love the idea but its not done as well as it should have been. That being said I still like it. I like the silver, I like the trophy being featured. I do wish they would add a couple of color elements to offset the silver, maybe colors that are unique to that area that is hosting the game. In this year's case maybe add blue and white somewhere: on stars or ribbons or something. I've been meaning to put together a visual concept of my own about how to fix this but alas, with a new kid and busy job that task has been pushed to the side.

I can't help but feel that your post, while passionate is littered with points based around your opinions and generalizations without any real constructive critique of the design. I've seen plenty of crap logos but have never seen a "soul-less" logo; don't know what that is. sorry.

...alright.

The Design: WHY have the Lombardi Trophy? We all know what it looks like and the "non-standard" logos before last year did fine without them and we don't need to see it to know it's the championship game. IT'S THE FRIGGIN' SUPER BOWL. That was one of the things that seperated them from NBA Finals logos or Stanley Cup logos or WS logos. They all felt different and special in their own ways.

Second, what's up with the chrome finish? This isn't the 80's. I feel like all you need are random flashes around it and it would make a perfect cover for a Whitesnake album.

The only thing I could forgive is the use of the same font for a few years in a row. Sure that's not as creative, but at least there's history with that. I could understand that.

And just the way it looks on jersey is like a phallic symobl with the trophy sticking up like that. It just looks wierd on a uniform.

Everything I just mentioned wasn't meant to be constructive, because that gives the impression that I want to HELP it. I hate this thing and I want to see it go away. I called it soul-less (and lazy) because they're basically taking the same logo and slaping a different stadium in the background. That's it. It just seems cold as if the guys in charge all got in a meeting and said, "Hey, let's just take a cookie-cutter and just place the stadium somewhere in there. Sure it'll take away from the host city that worked their asses off to get the game, but the NFL's image will be the ONLY feature in this and that's all that matters."

You're talkin' to an architect major here, so I'm not too big on dull and monotonous. I feel that if you're gonna copy a style, do it ONCE and no more after. At least give it a different color scheme or something distinctive and I really don't think a different stadium done in the same grey and silver is that much of change. Be different.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived