Michigan Football 2011

GFB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a valid point, but the players agreed to the new cut after testing it in the spring, then wanted out of it when the fall came around. To me, that's on the school for allowing players to dictate a change like that that leads to inconsistency. I know for a fact that it made Michigan's Adidas reps crazy after the lengths they went to to get every player properly fitted in the spring.

Nike hasn't had that problem because they don't provide alternatives. You get what they send.

Ok, that makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you previously stated that Michigan did not want the Techfit uniforms last year (2010)... What made Adidas think that the players were going to be alright switching this year? Did they believe their "modified" cut fixed all the problems of the original Techfit cut? Or is this just a matter of a supplier trying to push the Techfit program so they can market the hell out of it (ala the ProCombat)... I probably believe it would be somewhere in between. (Yes, I understand the players agreed to it in the spring, but I have no idea how much pushing there was for them to try it...)

Also, can you confirm then that the two maize shoulder stripes on the 2011 road Techfit uniforms were added so that the previous road uniforms could be accommodated at the same time?

Lastly, not asking for any spoilers, but do you have any knowledge on if there are plans in place to go to with the new Ripon cut (like the Sugar Bowl uniforms) full-time in 2012 or if the Techfit uniforms will be making a comeback in 2012 as well? And will there be a chance we will see a more classic-looking away uniform like the protype we saw last spring (sans the shoulder stripes).

But they're not "having to piece together" anything. Michigan received a full set of the Three-stripe practice uniforms this season. They have them. They're not three years old. All Adidas teams use the same design and get new complete sets every single season.

What I see in that first shot, as someone who has spent time on college practice fields at an Adidas school, is most players in the normal practice jerseys and what are probably old game pants, which is what most every school I know of, Adidas and Nike alike, use. I see linemen in old or extra game cut jerseys, which is something that coaches do when other linemen have been using the looser practice jerseys to grab instead of using proper technique. Then, I see a couple of players in the experimental Techfit jerseys and pants (the white pants), that they were testing out.

I don't see anything in that photo that I would say is abnormal for a spring practice or any practice, really, regardless of the manufacturer.

I don't see them piecing together sets. I know for absolute fact that Michigan received enough practice jerseys for all players to wear. That's not an issue.

That is all-around great info... Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. I would + your reputation on this board if I could.

Like the OP, I too had trouble believing Michigan had such crazy uniform problems this season. I'm sure I'm gonna sound like I'm beating a dead horse, but even the home jerseys had different fonts for certain numbers. I liked the road uniforms for the MSU game, and i didn't mind the Sugar Bowl jerseys just as a one off, but the outline on the numbers either needed to not be so thick, or either just put on the normal block font or even the font from the two vintage looks this year. I hope that Michigan's vintage looks are over. I'm ok with having the helmet numbers because we used to have them back in the day but I hope that the gray facemasks and numbers are gone for next season. We need to get back to being Michigan! Uniforms and all!

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

The alternating maize and blue stripes on the shoulders is a nice look, but it gets too busy. I think if they restricted the number of stripes to 3 maize (like the helmet) and 4 blue stripes, it would tone down the uniform quite a bit. I think the blue jersey just about has to have maize pants and the white jersey just about has to have white pants. I think they need to drop the outline around the name and numbers, since it will just crowd up uniform design.

I think they can get a decent look together - without having plain blue and plain white jerseys. They just need to have some sort of vision and not just throw :censored: at the wall to see what sticks. Michigan deserves/needs a solid uniform, classic INSPIRED uniform. It doesn't have to be strictly a throwback uniform, but I think a classic-inspired uniform is nearly a must for Michigan.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think they can get a decent look together - without having plain blue and plain white jerseys. They just need to have some sort of vision and not just throw :censored: at the wall to see what sticks. Michigan deserves/needs a solid uniform, classic INSPIRED uniform. It doesn't have to be strictly a throwback uniform, but I think a classic-inspired uniform is nearly a must for Michigan.

Here is the vision:

236.jpg

Honestly, when you have the best helmet in college football (sorry, everyone else) why would you try to divert any attention away from the helmet and toward the uniform? This is why the home uniforms work so well... They support the helmet by being a blank canvas and allowing the helmet to be the centerpiece.

Ok, that makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you previously stated that Michigan did not want the Techfit uniforms last year (2010)... What made Adidas think that the players were going to be alright switching this year? Did they believe their "modified" cut fixed all the problems of the original Techfit cut? Or is this just a matter of a supplier trying to push the Techfit program so they can market the hell out of it (ala the ProCombat)... I probably believe it would be somewhere in between. (Yes, I understand the players agreed to it in the spring, but I have no idea how much pushing there was for them to try it...)

Also, can you confirm then that the two maize shoulder stripes on the 2011 road Techfit uniforms were added so that the previous road uniforms could be accommodated at the same time?

Lastly, not asking for any spoilers, but do you have any knowledge on if there are plans in place to go to with the new Ripon cut (like the Sugar Bowl uniforms) full-time in 2012 or if the Techfit uniforms will be making a comeback in 2012 as well? And will there be a chance we will see a more classic-looking away uniform like the protype we saw last spring (sans the shoulder stripes).

That is all-around great info... Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. I would + your reputation on this board if I could.

The first batch of Techfits were all basically the same jersey with no modifications for individual player preferences. Michigan players didn't like them, RichRod hadn't allowed them to be tested in practice. They got them, RichRod didn't want them to change halfway thru the year.

In the spring, Adidas worked with all of their schools to size certain players better for Techfit jerseys. Made a few adjustments, etc. They worked extensively with Michigan. Certainly, Adidas would prefer that their high-paid school wear their showcase product. But they also felt that it was the superior product to their other offerings. But they've found over the last couple of years that they have a downside, IF they can be grabbed, they stretch enough that they're a detriment. That's actually the reason that Wisconsin passed on them.

The stripes were added to match what was available at retail. The final product for 2012 was always intended to have the stripes, the prototypes worn in practice did not have that detail. I don't know if they would have been on there had Michigan elected to wear Techfits in 2010. A couple of teams had missing or added details like that when the conversion was made mid-season.

I think what you'll see next year is what UCLA wore against USC. It is basically the Ripon cut, but is available with both a Techfit-like (but not Techfit material) stretch mesh and the traditional mesh, so when a team wears some of each, the difference isn't noticeable. It also can fix the UCLA stripe problem, don't know why they didn't put stripes on the UCLA jerseys. You will still see some teams in the Techfit, some schools love it. It will be interesting to see what each team comes out with.

Hope I didn't come off as condescending, just wanted to make sure you weren't misunderstanding what you were seeing.

The first batch of Techfits were all basically the same jersey with no modifications for individual player preferences. Michigan players didn't like them, RichRod hadn't allowed them to be tested in practice. They got them, RichRod didn't want them to change halfway thru the year.

In the spring, Adidas worked with all of their schools to size certain players better for Techfit jerseys. Made a few adjustments, etc. They worked extensively with Michigan. Certainly, Adidas would prefer that their high-paid school wear their showcase product. But they also felt that it was the superior product to their other offerings. But they've found over the last couple of years that they have a downside, IF they can be grabbed, they stretch enough that they're a detriment. That's actually the reason that Wisconsin passed on them.

The stripes were added to match what was available at retail. The final product for 2012 was always intended to have the stripes, the prototypes worn in practice did not have that detail. I don't know if they would have been on there had Michigan elected to wear Techfits in 2010. A couple of teams had missing or added details like that when the conversion was made mid-season.

I think what you'll see next year is what UCLA wore against USC. It is basically the Ripon cut, but is available with both a Techfit-like (but not Techfit material) stretch mesh and the traditional mesh, so when a team wears some of each, the difference isn't noticeable. It also can fix the UCLA stripe problem, don't know why they didn't put stripes on the UCLA jerseys. You will still see some teams in the Techfit, some schools love it. It will be interesting to see what each team comes out with.

Hope I didn't come off as condescending, just wanted to make sure you weren't misunderstanding what you were seeing.

Not at all... you seem to have a pretty good grasp of what is going on... I'm just an outsider trying to piece together what little information I had available. Thanks again.

Here is the vision:

236.jpg

Honestly, when you have the best helmet in college football (sorry, everyone else) why would you try to divert any attention away from the helmet and toward the uniform? This is why the home uniforms work so well... They support the helmet by being a blank canvas and allowing the helmet to be the centerpiece.

Park the homerism bias. It's a good helmet, but saying its the best in college is pompous.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Here is the vision:

236.jpg

Park the homerism bias. It's a good helmet, but saying its the best in college is pompous.

I severely dislike Michigan, but I agree that their helmet is easily top 3 in the country, if not the best.

Here is the vision:

236.jpg

Butthurt much? ;)

I'm just kidding with ya, but go look at any best college football helmet list, and there's a 95% chance that it's in the top 3... If not #1. Frankly, the only other schools that come close in my mind are Florida State and Texas.

I severely dislike Michigan, but I agree that their helmet is easily top 3 in the country, if not the best.

I don't see how a helmet with a design that is also used by other schools like Delaware and Princeton is all that special. I mean, Michigan basically copied that look from Princeton way back when.

I don't see how a helmet with a design that is also used by other schools like Delaware and Princeton is all that special. I mean, Michigan basically copied that look from Princeton way back when.

Because it's timeless. When you see that helmet, you know it's Michigan. The design goes back farther than the Power T or Georgia's G, even farther than USC's Trojan.

Think about your own school. MSU has had multiple helmet designs in just the last 10 years. I couldn't tell you what's on it today. But Michigan is a classic.

Because it's timeless. When you see that helmet, you know it's Michigan. The design goes back farther than the Power T or Georgia's G, even farther than USC's Trojan.

Think about your own school. MSU has had multiple helmet designs in just the last 10 years. I couldn't tell you what's on it today. But Michigan is a classic.

I just don't see how you can put Michigan's helmet in the top 3 if you don't also include Delaware's and Princeton's as the other two in your top three. Since Michigan doesn't own the trademark on the winged helmet design and others use it concurrently, it really isn't that special in my opinion. It's kind of a cool helmet really, but it loses its luster since others use it.

No need to mention MSU. This is a Michigan thread. My opinion isn't based upon whether I am a fan of MSU or not.

Michigan's winged helmet history

Crisler brought it FROM Princeton TO Michigan, so no, we didn't steal it.

If it's not a great design, why is it that about 1,000 high schools across this country use some variation of it? I think that should say enough about the impact it has.

I never said it wasn't a great design. It is a nice design. I said it isn't special because its impact has been diluted by other teams wearing it. Your point about the high schools is more evidence.

If I brought something like a design from one job to another, it would be called stealing. It's OK if you think it's not in the case of Crisler. But it was stealing. Stuff you come up with at your employer for your employer is their property. Not yours.

If it's not a great design, why is it that about 1,000 high schools across this country use some variation of it? I think that should say enough about the impact it has.

I never said it wasn't a great design. It is a nice design. I said it isn't special because its impact has been diluted by other teams wearing it. Your point about the high schools is more evidence.

If I brought something like a design from one job to another, it would be called stealing. It's OK if you think it's not in the case of Crisler. But it was stealing. Stuff you come up with at your employer for your employer is their property. Not yours.

Regardless of its origins, it is now most commonly associated with Michigan, particularly in the colors of maize and blue. It's like the Georgia "G" - they may have taken it from the Green Bay Packers, but if you see that "G" in black/red/white, you immediately think Georgia. The fact that Michigan wasn't the first to wear the winged helmet 80 years ago, or that they aren't the only school to wear it now, has little to no bearing on its present associations or iconic qualities.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Leave it to Spartans and Buckeyes to derail a thread by trying to cheapen the Michigan helmet... :rolleyes:

Listen. Yes, Princeton wore the wings first. But after Crisler left Princeton, they didn't use a winged helmet design for 70 years. Let me repeat that for you... Princeton went 70 YEARS without the helmet. 7-0 years.

Delaware jumped on the winged helmet train when one of Crisler's players from MICHIGAN, David Nelson, took over as Delaware's coach in 1950. Delaware nearly exactly copied Michigan's helmet exactly for several years until 2004 when Delaware switched from a navy blue to a royal blue.

Just like whitedawg said... Just because a design is copied by another team, doesn't cheapen the history or status behind the original. Do you view the Maple Leafs uniforms as less classic or valuable because the Tampa Bay Lightning are blue and white now too?

Just like whitedawg said... Just because a design is copied by another team, doesn't cheapen the history or status behind the original.

I get that Michigan fans love their helmet. They should. But they have to accept that it's not original to their school as much as they try to convince themselves that it is or that it doesn't matter. Michigan can never say they have a unique helmet. That alone does indeed cheapen the helmet's history and status.

Here is the vision:

236.jpg

As a design professional, I can't say Michigan's helmet is a good design since it has nothing to do with Michigan or Wolverines. It looks nice and is distinctive but it's basically "fluff". Great design should have something to do with its subject matter.

Archived