Thrift Store Gems 2012

nash61

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minnesota Timberwolves 89 to 96 jersey. I'm so glad I found this, its pretty rare around here.

Picture.jpg

I am willing to take offers for it if the price is right.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

h72yO.jpg

Salvation Army, $2.99

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Man, I'm as much of a Hawks fan/Wings loather as anyone, but the Wings' white jersey loks damn good. I mean, to the point where I've considered buying one. It's a true classic.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Edmonton_Oilers_Jersey.jpg

$30 at Hockey Experts. As ugly a jersey it is, for $30 I couldn't say no.

SportChek had them for $30 a few months ago, and I passed.

Ended up getting the pre-Edge version for $15 instead off Kijiji.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Stumbled onto another find:

7919041572_08a78c5806.jpg

It's an early 1970s SuperSonics jersey (c. '70-'72?), and might be the rarest jersey I've ever seen at a thrift store. I don't know whether or not replica jerseys were sold in those days, but based on this old listing at Grey Flannel Auctions, it sure looks possible that this could be a team-issued top from the era. Unfortunately, the only tagging present is the Sand-Knit tag, so it may not be easy to figure things out for sure.

It's an early 1970s SuperSonics jersey (c. '70-'72?), and might be the rarest jersey I've ever seen at a thrift store. I don't know whether or not replica jerseys were sold in those days, but based on this old listing at Grey Flannel Auctions, it sure looks possible that this could be a team-issued top from the era. Unfortunately, the only tagging present is the Sand-Knit tag, so it may not be easy to figure things out for sure.

:blink: :blink: Sweet mother. You might win the thread on that one. Jerseys of that high quality were definitely not sold in those days, 99.9% sure that's a team-issued blank. Don't know if you plan on keeping it, getting it attributed (Lenny Wilkens or Spencer Haywood) or selling it - if it's one of the latter two, you just came into a couple hundred easy bucks. Incredible find.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yeah, Sand-Knit didn't start selling replica NBA jerseys until the early 80s, so I'd guess that's a team-issued jersey - an amazing find. Any chance of some close-ups of the tag & wordmark?

I'd suggest keeping hold of it - NBA jerseys from that era are pretty hard to come by, and the value only seems to go up as time goes on...

:blink: :blink: Sweet mother. You might win the thread on that one. Jerseys of that high quality were definitely not sold in those days, 99.9% sure that's a team-issued blank. Don't know if you plan on keeping it, getting it attributed (Lenny Wilkens or Spencer Haywood) or selling it - if it's one of the latter two, you just came into a couple hundred easy bucks. Incredible find.

This might just be the gem of all gems. What a Find! :grin:

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Yeah, Sand-Knit didn't start selling replica NBA jerseys until the early 80s, so I'd guess that's a team-issued jersey - an amazing find. Any chance of some close-ups of the tag & wordmark?

I'd suggest keeping hold of it - NBA jerseys from that era are pretty hard to come by, and the value only seems to go up as time goes on...

I've had a couple of 80s-era Sand-Knit MLB replicas over the years, and they weren't anything like this at all (screen-printed, lightweight double-knit, etc...). Close-ups, as requested:

7927928174_1f184ff148.jpg

7927932138_6f6a702ba0.jpg

The material is some kind of cotton-spandex blend- I want to say it's durene, but I don't have anything to compare this to.

And as far as getting a name/number added goes... while I agree it doesn't look quite right without them, I'd be worried about "ruining" a vintage blank with a contemporary customization (as cool as it would be to have a period Lenny Wilkens jersey).

Archived