NASL's Minnesota Stars Now Minnesota United FC

-kj

Stars-2012-Full-Color-218x300.jpg

Well done Mockba!

Great job. Literally, not a thing I would change at first glance. Well done.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, crap.

Another sportslogos.net designed identity down the tubes...

Mockba did a great job on the Stars, just to be tossed aside.

Yeah, damn.

I actually like the new name and identity, but... damn.

Yeah, it's a damn shame they kicked Mockba's logo to the curb after just one season.

That said, if they were going to rebrand the club, I remember someone (may or may not have been on CCSLC) once suggested Athletic Club Twin Cities. AC/TC could have been an awesome identity.

CCSLC signature.png

Obviously I'm a newer poster, although I've been lurking for awhile, but I have to chime in on the Stars FC design by Mockba as well.

Definitely a fan of it, love the color scheme and the use of L'Etoile Du Nord as it really is uniquely Minnesotan.

Disappointing that they went in the direction they did so recently after adopting the look you designed. Not trying to blow smoke up your ass because I don't even know you, but for what its worth your work was 1st rate.

The new logo isn't that bad, although I don't know how I feel about Man City vibe I get from the color scheme and jerseys.

I always thought Manchester United was a combination of a few teams hence the "United" tag, but when you said that further research says its just a name. Always trust Gothamite™.

I'm not bothered by American teams adopting European sounding names for their clubs. Haven't South American, Asian, Central American and even Mexcian teams done the same? I don't see it as any different than the Tokyo Baseball team being known as the Giants.

Though Newcastle United actually was formed from a consolidation of two clubs into one—Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End IIRC.

(Secretly hopes the new Indianapolis Club is Indiana Villa or something :P)

6fQjS3M.png

Does anybody know who will make the Minnesota United FC kits? I love everything about them, but it also occurred to me that the images they released yesterday look just like concepts. Whichever brand ends up making the kits could determine whether they look as nice as they do in the illustration.

First off, lemme say how much if a crime it is to discard Kevin's logo. It really was too notch, sir. Having said that, they did a really good job with the loon. At least they still stuck with a Minnesotan thing. United sucks though.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Yeah, Newcastle are the big club that came about their name the way everybody thinks the other clubs did.

I never heard - this must mean that Minnesota now has stable ownership, right?

Yes owned by former United Health CEO.

Not to take anything way from Mockba's work, because it was a great update of a pretty poor design, but the new crest is top notch. Best identity in NASL IMO. I agree United is a bit silly, but if taken in the figurative sense of uniting the Twin Cities, then I suppose it works. There certainly was nothing wrong with the Stars name though.

Can anyone point me to photos of the new kits?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the grainy photo a few pages back. Will have to wait for better quality images to judge.

On this week's du Nord podcast, Minnesota United FC president Nic Rogers spoke about the thought process that went into changing the club's name.

First of all, he conceded that part of the appeal of United is that it is known throughout the world as a name that's associated with soccer teams and, at least insofar as sports nomenclature is concerned, conveys soccer pretty unequivocally.

The second thing that the team's new ownership was trying to convey through the United name is the sense of uniting the people of the Twin Cities metro area. Rogers specifically spoke about bringing together people from large and divergent ethnic communities behind the brand, but he also mentioned the unifying force that it could have amongst other communities. Define that as you will: Minneapolis and St. Paul, urban and suburban, etc.

Finally, he mentioned that the new ownership group has a story they want to tell about uniting the history of professional soccer in Minnesota. Rogers spoke to the fact that in talking to a variety of soccer enthusiasts about their love for the sport in the State of Minnesota, he was struck by the fact that everyone had a different incarnation of pro soccer that resonated with them: the Kicks, the Strikers, the Thunder, the Stars. He went on to say that Minnesota's track-record with the sport at the pro level is a somewhat "confusing history" with "fits and starts" and "crooks and liars" who, at times, have taken advantage of the goodwill of fans. To that end, the new ownership group sees the Minnesota United FC brand as signifying that a "new chapter" is beginning in Minnesota pro soccer history.

As for the new logo, it was designed by Minneapolis-based branding firm Zeus Jones. You can check-out their overview of their work on behalf of Minnesota United FC at http://www.zeusjones...a-new-identity/.

Oh... and apparently the Red button the jerseys is meant to represent the eye of a loon.

Brian, you a regular duNord reader/listener? I've known Bruce for quite a few years now, he's a great guy. Wes is also good, though I haven't known him nearly as long.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived