Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

Peter Nowak out as Philadelphia Union manager.

In addition, members of the Union’s front office offered no official comment, but the decision comes on the heels of a report release Saturday by the Edinburgh Evening News that claims Nowak has applied for a vacant position with Scottish Premier League club Hearts.

Nowak denied the claim telling the Daily News the report was “absolute false,” but the writer confirmed via Twitter that he has knowledge that Nowak applied. If true -- whether approved or not by Union ownership -- this decision certainly strikes a chord given the Union’s current 2-7-2 status in the bottom of MLS Eastern Conference in addition to the revolving door of players since the Union wrapped an 11-8-15 campaign last season that resulted in a trip to the playoffs in only the organization’s second season.

Holy crap, if Nowak actually did apply for the Hearts job, then this has gotta be one of the most obvious attempts at getting fired that I've ever seen. It's like he figured "Oh :censored:, I don't wanna be here anymore. How can I get out of here without looking foolish???" and then completely botched it.

This is not shocking. Nowak has only run the team into the ground since making the playoffs last year. Theyre terrible. Not to mention applying for that job in Scotland. This was the only way this could end for Nowak in Philly.

Nowak shouldn't be fired! The GM should be. You can't trade your top goal scorer (Sebastian Le Toux) your captain and best defender (Danny Califf) and your #1 pick (Danny Mwanga) in the same season. You can't expect to win games after trading your entire team.

Nowak was also the VP of Soccer Ops & was the one in charge of making those trades, which would make him the GM in this case.

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, in other news, Major League Soccer registered a new domain name over the weekend...cityfc.com. The MLS_Analyst account over at reddit threw out a hint that pretty much confirms that something big's going on, and MLS Rumors reported that it was registered for $3,188.

Looks like the 20th MLS franchise is in the early stages of becoming a reality.

EDIT: Things just keep getting better for TFC, huh.

Also, in other news, Major League Soccer registered a new domain name over the weekend...cityfc.com. The MLS_Analyst account over at reddit threw out a hint that pretty much confirms that something big's going on, and MLS Rumors reported that it was registered for $3,188.

Or it's meant for one of the existing 19 clubs. Who could be re-branded as "City"? Salt Lake, perhaps?

Or it's meant for one of the existing 19 clubs. Who could be re-branded as "City"? Salt Lake, perhaps?

I instantly thought this as well...but Dave Checketts has way too big of a boner for Real Madrid to change the name.

If it's a rebrand of a current franchise, I'd bet on either New England or Columbus.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Peter Nowak out as Philadelphia Union manager.

In addition, members of the Union?s front office offered no official comment, but the decision comes on the heels of a report release Saturday by the Edinburgh Evening News that claims Nowak has applied for a vacant position with Scottish Premier League club Hearts.

Nowak denied the claim telling the Daily News the report was ?absolute false,? but the writer confirmed via Twitter that he has knowledge that Nowak applied. If true -- whether approved or not by Union ownership -- this decision certainly strikes a chord given the Union?s current 2-7-2 status in the bottom of MLS Eastern Conference in addition to the revolving door of players since the Union wrapped an 11-8-15 campaign last season that resulted in a trip to the playoffs in only the organization?s second season.

Holy crap, if Nowak actually did apply for the Hearts job, then this has gotta be one of the most obvious attempts at getting fired that I've ever seen. It's like he figured "Oh :censored:, I don't wanna be here anymore. How can I get out of here without looking foolish???" and then completely botched it.

This is not shocking. Nowak has only run the team into the ground since making the playoffs last year. Theyre terrible. Not to mention applying for that job in Scotland. This was the only way this could end for Nowak in Philly.

Nowak shouldn't be fired! The GM should be. You can't trade your top goal scorer (Sebastian Le Toux) your captain and best defender (Danny Califf) and your #1 pick (Danny Mwanga) in the same season. You can't expect to win games after trading your entire team.

Nowak was also the VP of Soccer Ops & was the one in charge of making those trades, which would make him the GM in this case.

Well then good. He deserves to be fired.

The Orlando USL team is "Orlando City FC". I think thats where theyre going.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Orlando USL team is "Orlando City FC". I think thats where theyre going.

Actually they are Orlando City SC ...so there's NO way it's them. :P

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Spending time in prison is better than playing on the pitch for TFC these days. However, the players will have to learn how to play better defense immediately, if they want to have any success in minimizing the opponent's scoring chances, if you know what I mean.

Considering that Nick Soolsma and Miguel Aceval are international players and this may end up sending them home as they won't have the freedom to move around North America, I'd say playing for a bad team is better than potentially playing for no team.

My question is what the hell were they doing out at 3 in the morning? Is there not a curfew especially in a 3 game week?

The statement from the club isn't much better:

"We are aware of the charges filed against Miguel Aceval, Luis Silva and Nick Soolsma in Houston earlier today. The players are presently with the team and we continue to investigate this matter. As such, the team will not provide any further comment at this time."

Which always says to me "yeah we know and we don't want to talk about it. We'll say we are looking into it further and we will never talk about it again.".

It's getting harder and harder to love this club.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Could be.

I hope not; the league would be much stronger with a team in NYC

That may be true, but right now Orlando City is more ready than the Cosmos ownership to make the jump to MLS. Expansion can go until we have 22 or preferably 24 teams so the Cosmos are still pretty much a given.

soundersbanner.png

Yeah, Stumptown seems perfectly suited for the sport.

Best thing MLS has ever done is build the instant regional Northwest rivalry. No other league would be so willfully blind to its national footprint, and consequently no other league would put three expansion teams in a row in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver. I've been very hard of MLS overall, but that's well to their credit.

I love these new ads that ESPN has been doing for the various games they play on Saturdays now. The latest one for this week's big California Clasico game being played at Stanford Stadium (they're expecting over 42,000 fans for it) gave me goosebumps. And last week's Cascadia Cup one wasn't too bad either.

I posted what you said on tumblr, and apparently MLS Rumors also reported that they registered the domain names MLStoNYC.com, majorleaguesoccernyc.com, and majorleaguesoccertonyc.com?. all were registered on June 20.

Hey I am trying to get into Soccer so I chose two teams, one the Red Bulls the local team despite their horrendous name and uniforms, and the Timbers because a man with a chain saw to celbrate goals is too :censored:ing cool.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived