Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If so, we can stop; they don't get any more Cosmo-ic than ol' Shep.

messingbookback.jpg

Well, getting closer, at any rate.

This is perhaps my least-favorite site of all that have been considered, but I'll take it if I get my Cosmos back.

Hopefully not everyone else in NY is waiting to get the Cosmos back too. I'd hate to think the ex-Metrostars would become second class citizens overnight.

Not from New York so this is just a guess, but that's what I definitely see happening. And it's guess the Cosmos would be the new top team for high profile DPs.

Also to consider is that the New York/New Jersey MetroStars, MetroStars, and Red Bull New York will have had 18 years** to build their brand and pedigree; however, they have failed to deliver on any championship aspirations to date.

** I have factored in that the NYC Club would begin in 2014.

Not just championships; they've been freaking invisible in this city. They've ignored us for long enough that we can return the favor.

The MetroBulls are the most irrelevant big city franchise in ANY sport. Theyre more irrelevant in MLS than the Clippers are in the NBA. If the Cosmos (or whatever they call the franchise) come back, they'll automatically dwarf the Pink Cows by virtue of their location, if they have any success on the pitch that will make them look worse (and I'll probably laugh, a lot).

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I thought Montreal was going to be a slam-dunk along the lines of Seattle, Vancouver and Portland.

Other than the on-field product being bad, is Montreal not shaking out as a great market?

You have to admit it's been a rough year in Montreal off the field. The city is in chaos from what the locals are saying. Particularly among the MLS' target late teen-early 20 demographic. That and supposedly this last week is some big holiday week in Quebec where everyone is out of town. At least those are the two excuses I've heard.

But it wouldn't shock me to learn that Montreal is still a bad sports town.

I'm not sure that judging franchise viability based on mid-week attendance is going to paint an entirely accurate picture. They did, after all, draw insanely large crowds to the Big O before the upgrade to Saputo was finished.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I thought Montreal was going to be a slam-dunk along the lines of Seattle, Vancouver and Portland.

Other than the on-field product being bad, is Montreal not shaking out as a great market?

You have to admit it's been a rough year in Montreal off the field. The city is in chaos from what the locals are saying. Particularly among the MLS' target late teen-early 20 demographic. That and supposedly this last week is some big holiday week in Quebec where everyone is out of town. At least those are the two excuses I've heard.

But it wouldn't shock me to learn that Montreal is still a bad sports town.

Yeah: La Fête nationale du Québec. But (and admittedly i'm not overly knowledgeable on French-Canadian culture) I understood that it ends on St. John the Baptist day, which was the 24th.

Either way TFC continues to dominate the Impact at Saputo stadium, 11 to 1 in goals all time.

In other TFC news: Nesta to TFC?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Let me preface my comment with some history.

From back when Toronto FC first started. Most of Canada predicted that it would never work in Toronto. They said nobody cared about soccer and a more "european" city like Montreal deserved a team more. Then year 1 came around and Toronto sold out every game with a 15,000 strong waiting list. The sell outs continued for 3 more years. Even the last 2 years while there hasn't been sell outs, the team is still among attendance leaders. Pretty good considering they've been consistently the worst team on the field over the past 2 years.

Then Montreal joined MLS this year. Great! They did deserve to have a top flight club. They had strong attendances in the USL/NASL and had a new stadium. Before the season once again they told the world (of Canadian soccer supporters)they were going to better Toronto and Vancouver in every way. Started calling Vancouver and Toronto fans plastic fans, just bandwagon hoppers, etc. Then Montreal finally opens up their new/renovated stadium, and can't even sell it out. Hell they play their biggest rival and leave blocks and blocks of empty seats. All this for a team in contention for the play offs.

I'd like to see strong attendance in Montreal, but it does make me laugh to see how they can't even sell out their stadium in year 1. Can you imagine what it would be like if they miss the play offs a few years in a row?

On a semi-related note. Can we play Montreal every week?

1zqy8ok.gif

I love these new ads that ESPN has been doing for the various games they play on Saturdays now. The latest one for this week's big California Clasico game being played at Stanford Stadium (they're expecting over 42,000 fans for it) gave me goosebumps. And last week's Cascadia Cup one wasn't too bad.

It's been a great game so far, 4-3 Quakes halfway through

the 2nd half. Mistakes put then down 3-1, but ripped off 3 straight to put themselves up.

And after the game, Beckham was going to have a heart attack.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

MLS All Star Starting IX:

Goalkeeper: Jimmy Nielsen (Sporting Kansas City)

Defenders: Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Aurélien Collin (Sporting Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Heath Pearce (New York Red Bulls)

Midfielders: David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Dwayne De Rosario (D.C. United), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Thierry Henry (New York Red Bulls), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

DC United will announce a new majority investor on Tuesday, from the Goff:

The long-awaited announcement of Erick Thohir becoming United?s new majority investor will take place Tuesday afternoon at a downtown Washington hotel, I?m told. Club officials declined comment.

Thohir?s interest in United came to light on the Insider in March. He is from Indonesia, owns several media properties and is a part-owner of the NBA?s Philadelphia 76ers. Will Chang, the club?s lone investor for the past three years, will retain a stake in the club.

I spoke with Chang briefly this evening. He had no comment about the club?s hierarchy changing. But he did say he is flying to Washington from his home in northern California and would be available to talk Tuesday. So there you go.....

This will give the club a cash infusion hopefully to help get us a new stadium. HALLELUJAH!

Hopefully this doesn't lead to a Cardiff City-esque situation.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I highly doubt it. I just hope this guy has a heavy disdain for the city of Baltimore.

I'm kind of serious: Does anybody but Seattle care about the Open Cup? The Sounders get to their fourth straight final, beating Chivas USA 4-1, and will face SKC in the final. A somewhat good week to be a Sounders supporter as John Spencer gets his walking papers from Portland earlier in the week.

soundersbanner.png

Last night was the 3rd best Toronto FC game I've ever witnessed live.

1. TFC winning 2-1 at LA this year

2. 6-1 at Montreal

3. 3-2 home to Vancouver.

The way Mattocks taunted the TFC support after his (very nice it has to be said) goal. Followed by Dunfield's last second header to gain the 3 points. Just amazing!

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived