Domestic Soccer 2012

TFoA

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: New York Cosmos Plan to Make NASL Return in 2013

On Thursday, the Cosmos will announce plans to field a franchise in the NASL, Bigapplesoccer.com reports. "The New York Cosmos are expected to announce this afternoon that will have a franchise in the North American Soccer League for the 2013 season, according to sources close to the team," the report says. "The Cosmos last played professionally in the United States in the original NASL in 1984." The Cosmos were a flagship franchise in the original NASL. It's star-studded team won five league championships in the 1970s and 1980s. Fans flocked to Giants Stadium to watch the likes of Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and the late Giorgio Chinaglia strut their stuff in the swamplands of New Jersey. The orginal Cosmos disbanded shortly after the NASL folded, but they were reborn in 2010 under new ownership. The club has expressed an interest in playing in MLS, but significant hurdles remain. "It is not immediately known whether performing in the NASL was a prelude play in Major League Soccer, which is gung-ho on adding a 20th franchise, an expansion team in New York City," Bigapplesoccer says. "The league is hopeful of building a new stadium in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens." The new NASL is the second division of professional soccer in the U.S. It currently has nine teams in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. The Cosmos would be the tenth, while Ottowa will field a team in 2014.

Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/report-new-york-cosmos-plan-to-make-nasl-return-in-2013.html

NESN.com Article

It's been confirmed by Julian Deguzman's agent as of 2am this morning. JDG has been traded to FC Dallas, the player coming back in return has yet to be named.

Looks like a salary dump for TFC. Word is that TFC has been talking to Alessandro Del Piero and Carlos Bocanegra about coming into the club. The word is they also have interest in Canadian international Kevin McKenna but no talks with him yet.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It's been confirmed by Julian Deguzman's agent as of 2am this morning. JDG has been traded to FC Dallas, the player coming back in return has yet to be named.

Looks like a salary dump for TFC. Word is that TFC has been talking to Alessandro Del Piero and Carlos Bocanegra about coming into the club. The word is they also have interest in Canadian international Kevin McKenna but no talks with him yet.

Update: The word is that TFC gets Andrew Wiedeman.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm kind of serious: Does anybody but Seattle care about the Open Cup? The Sounders get to their fourth straight final, beating Chivas USA 4-1, and will face SKC in the final. A somewhat good week to be a Sounders supporter as John Spencer gets his walking papers from Portland earlier in the week.

When I lived in Rochester, the Open Cup was a huge deal -- especially when the Rhinos won. At that time, however, the Rhinos were trying to make the leap to MLS (when no one else cared) and an Open Cup win was seen as legitimizing. Turned out for naught for the Rhinos though; they totally missed their window to build a new stadium (which they did but is kind of crappy) and make the jump. MLS, dare I say, is too big time now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm kind of serious: Does anybody but Seattle care about the Open Cup? The Sounders get to their fourth straight final, beating Chivas USA 4-1, and will face SKC in the final. A somewhat good week to be a Sounders supporter as John Spencer gets his walking papers from Portland earlier in the week.

When I lived in Rochester, the Open Cup was a huge deal -- especially when the Rhinos won. At that time, however, the Rhinos were trying to make the leap to MLS (when no one else cared) and an Open Cup win was seen as legitimizing. Turned out for naught for the Rhinos though; they totally missed their window to build a new stadium (which they did but is kind of crappy) and make the jump. MLS, dare I say, is too big time now.

I should have said any MLS club instead of anybody period. It's unfortunate that other MLS clubs don't put much effort towards winning the Open Cup. Champions League qualification for one. Winning the oldest soccer trophy in the US for another.

soundersbanner.png

I should have said any MLS club instead of anybody period. It's unfortunate that other MLS clubs don't put much effort towards winning the Open Cup. Champions League qualification for one. Winning the oldest soccer trophy in the US for another.

No. For MLS clubs other than Seattle the Open Cup appears to remain nothing but a third rate cup somewhere below the MLS Cup, MLS Supporters' Shield and, CONCACAF Championship, but above things like the Carolina Challenge Cup.

I think some teams are starting to try harder, it's just that it's difficult to while playing a tight MLS schedule with the lack of depth of these clubs. Portland said they were going all out this year and ended up losing early.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yeah, what most MLS teams do is similar to what the big-time clubs in England do for the League Cup over there. When they play the lower division teams they'll throw out a side with a varying amount of their reserve players. If they win, great. They'll start playing more key players the farther they advance. If they lose, they don't really care and can keep on focusing on league play since they rested some starters.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Sebastien Le Toux on his way again, heading from Vancouver to the Red Bulls for Dane Richards.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Sebastien Le Toux on his way again, heading from Vancouver to the Red Bulls for Dane Richards.

Didn't see that coming at all. I assume Vancouver has something big coming up, why would you trade off a player of that caliber without a transfer already lined up?

Didn't see that coming at all. I assume Vancouver has something big coming up, why would you trade off a player of that caliber without a transfer already lined up?

They also sold Chumiento to FC Zurich. Gotta have something coming up.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

I know, which personally I didn't like cause he's on my fantasy team, lol.

But it sounds like they are clearing up cap space for a big move. Wonder who?

US Open Cup is a chicken and egg. Teams aren't going to care about tournaments that they play on training grounds and draw sometimes fewer than 2,000 people. Fans aren't going to show up to what amounts to a pre-season lineup. The Champions League slot isn't really a draw as for the most part I don't think many teams care about that either. Many times those games don't draw either (though it appears to be getting better).

This guy, according to various stories.

This guy, according to various stories.

Confirmed today, Cap's sign Kenny Miller of Scotland. I know we have a Scottish coach, but I'm not sure that signing a bunch of scot's players is that great a strategy. If nothing else, they may get sunburnt if we open the roof in BC Place.

Is there some big contingent of Scots in Vancouver or something??

That was the joke when DC United signed Salvadoran Cristian Castillo a few years ago, and the large Salvadoran community loved DC United, then he blew and DC got rid of him, and they hated DC United again.

Archived