Am I the only one who liked the turf baseball field loo

uuh70

Astroturf in baseball was ugly and horrible, and hopefully soon the Jays and Rays will find a way to get grass too so its all gone forever.

If you're willing to pay for a new stadium in Toronto then by all means. If not, then you're going to be looking at turf for a long time.

True but can you imagine a PNC Park type stadium in downtown TO. It would be a beauty.

By all means I would be very happy for the Rogers Centre to be replaced by a baseball specific stadium. Unfortunately I dont think Rogers has any interest in building a new park since they own the dome and make quite a bit of a profit off of it...and I really hope the city doesnt spend tax money on a new stadium.

1zqy8ok.gif

By all means I would be very happy for the Rogers Centre to be replaced by a baseball specific stadium. Unfortunately I dont think Rogers has any interest in building a new park since they own the dome and make quite a bit of a profit off of it...and I really hope the city doesnt spend tax money on a new stadium.

I've heard talked about a few times but on a scale of 1-10 where 10 means the stadium is getting built no question about it and 1 means there is no chance of it being built, I'd say its at about a three right now. Maybe a four but the Blue Jays no real plans as of now to build a new stadium. I don't think your even going to hear anything serious until at least the end of the decade. The SkyDome was an incredibly expensive stadium to build even by today's standards.

I would also regard Canadian governments as a little bit smarter then US governments when it comes to these things. I don't see too many instances of them just cutting checks for teams to build new stadiums/arenas with a complete disregard for what kind of economic impact it may actually bring. (Insert Glendale/Harrison/Surise joke here) I think they learned their lesson after Olympic Stadium.

Astroturf in baseball was ugly and horrible, and hopefully soon the Jays and Rays will find a way to get grass too so its all gone forever.

If you're willing to pay for a new stadium in Toronto then by all means. If not, then you're going to be looking at turf for a long time.

it will rank as one of the worst stadiums in the game.

anyways. astrotruf is an abomination.

Not all astroturf fields were created equally. I played at Franklin Field (U of Penn) and it was like painted concrete, just like the Vet - but without the deadly seams. I also played at Villanova's field, which was the same legit astroturf, but with a nice pad underneath, and (for lack of a better term) "brushed up" fibers. It wasn't bad at all. Other than the rug burns, I enjoyed it.

There were a few big problems with the turf fields. One problem was that back in the day, most teams didn't own or at least manage their own stadiums, so they were basically tenants paying money to the city or some stadium authority who was charged with maintaining the surface, and in many cases, this was neglected. Poorly maintained astroturf was deadly. Well-maintained astroturf was (for the most part) fine. I've never played on NexTurf or FieldTurf or SpeedTurf or whatever other second-generation artificial surface is out there now, but I have no doubt that it's far superior and easier to maintain than old astroturf - but that doesn't mean that there weren't some good astroturf fields.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived