When the alternate looks better than the primary

johnnysama

YMMV on this one, but there are rare examples out there where an alternate uniform/logo looks better than the primary one.

IMO, the final Portland Beavers road cap logo:

3ykdgajoe6xyr9q91hap21xuh.gif

....looked better than their primary.

Well.... that is all I can really think of at this time. If there are any more, I'll be sure to share them.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most NBA alternate logos are better than the primaries.

Also, all three Ottawa Senators alternate logos are far superior to their current primary:

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif157.gifllhdewr1nbsu8505qhi6qe789.gif

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Screen-shot-2011-12-09-at-14.59.49-.png

Much better than the navy roads, in my opinion.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Since this topic was created, I'll speak my long-held opinion on the matter.

In my mind, a successful alternate should aim to look better than the primary(ies). And you'll know when that objective has been achieved when fans and other observers start clamoring for the alternate look to become the primary (speaking about uniform sets here). The thing about alternates, though, is this: part of their appeal is in their limited exposure, but once they become more regularly exposed i.e. become the primary, that luster dies out rather quickly. Case in point: Tennessee Titans (and to a much lesser extent, the Atlanta Thrashers). Fans of both teams clamored for the columbia/baby/powder blue jerseys of both sets to become the primaries. Now look where we are with the Titans...they have a great road look (since they introduced the columbia pants), but their home look has been all kinds of jacked up since the switch--and remember, when that light blue jersey first came out, they were a HOT item. Same thing with the navy Cleveland Cavaliers alternates a few years ago (taking a risk here--y'all already know what it is)...it got to a point where they were wearing the navy alts (which to me was the best-looking set of the bunch) seemingly more than their regular wine roadies.

Anyway, that's just an opinion I've long had. Time will tell how this plays out with the Denver Broncos (and if the rumors prove to be true, the Jacksonville Jaguars)...oughtta be interesting to see.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

In my mind, a successful alternate should aim to look better than the primary(ies). And you'll know when that objective has been achieved when fans and other observers start clamoring for the alternate look to become the primary (speaking about uniform sets here). The thing about alternates, though, is this: part of their appeal is in their limited exposure, but once they become more regularly exposed i.e. become the primary, that luster dies out rather quickly. Case in point: Tennessee Titans (and to a much lesser extent, the Atlanta Thrashers). Fans of both teams clamored for the columbia/baby/powder blue jerseys of both sets to become the primaries. Now look where we are with the Titans...they have a great road look (since they introduced the columbia pants), but their home look has been all kinds of jacked up since the switch--and remember, when that light blue jersey first came out, they were a HOT item. Same thing with the navy Cleveland Cavaliers alternates a few years ago (taking a risk here--y'all already know what it is)...it got to a point where they were wearing the navy alts (which to me was the best-looking set of the bunch) seemingly more than their regular wine roadies.

Anyway, that's just an opinion I've long had. Time will tell how this plays out with the Denver Broncos (and if the rumors prove to be true, the Jacksonville Jaguars)...oughtta be interesting to see.

With the Broncos, it's because of the history and tradition of orange. The only fans I've seen complain about the impending switch became fans after the 1997 change.

Most of the Broncos jerseys I own are orange, so I really don't think we'll see the same thing that happened with Tennessee... especially since Denver doesn't have a hundred different pairs of pants to try with them.

With the Broncos, it's because of the history and tradition of orange. The only fans I've seen complain about the impending switch became fans after the 1997 change.

Most of the Broncos jerseys I own are orange, so I really don't think we'll see the same thing that happened with Tennessee... especially since Denver doesn't have a hundred different pairs of pants to try with them.

To be fair, they each have three pairs of pants.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

To be fair, they each have three pairs of pants.

I do know that, I was exaggerating intentionally regarding the number of pants the Titans wear.

My point was that there is only one pair they can actually wear with the orange jersey. The blue pants and the white pants with the orange stripe would not work.

I think the Kings' purple crown logo looks better than the LA penciltip logo, but the penciltip jersey looks a lot better.

Also, the Ducks' 3rd is their best.

'

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Archived