NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Don't blame Nike, blame the teams. The Patriots stood up to Nike and have a good looking collar. I'm hoping that teams realize that 1) they look ridiculous in action and 2) the flywire collars were made to be worn for a collar that matches the jersey and looks terrible otherwise. I'm guessing there's at least one and probably more teams that change their collars for next season.

I've said this about the other things we've found objectionable about the new uniforms: it's a feature, not a bug. Teams CHOSE to have their collars look like that. I know we care about how bad some of the collars look, but most people aren't going to give it a second thought.

I don't think anyone should expect these collars to go away. If the teams cared, they'd have done what NE or HOU or GB did, and keep the old collar style or sufficiently modify the new collar style.

Or it could have been that Nike just went up to them and said, "this is your uniform on the new template. Look fine?" And the teams didn't think twice about the collar. It wouldn't surprise me if at least one team saw the patriots and didn't even think they could keep their collar like that.

I might believe it if there weren't so many teams that stuck with the old collar or have a full collar. I think there are a certain group of teams who are EXTREMELY concerned with their brand/look (NE, GB, OAK to name a few) and they had a specific vision of how they wanted to look. Nike went to them and got told "No, we want this instead." Any team that got "suckered" into the new collar didn't care enough to protect their image in the first place.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't blame Nike, blame the teams. The Patriots stood up to Nike and have a good looking collar. I'm hoping that teams realize that 1) they look ridiculous in action and 2) the flywire collars were made to be worn for a collar that matches the jersey and looks terrible otherwise. I'm guessing there's at least one and probably more teams that change their collars for next season.

I've said this about the other things we've found objectionable about the new uniforms: it's a feature, not a bug. Teams CHOSE to have their collars look like that. I know we care about how bad some of the collars look, but most people aren't going to give it a second thought.

I don't think anyone should expect these collars to go away. If the teams cared, they'd have done what NE or HOU or GB did, and keep the old collar style or sufficiently modify the new collar style.

Or it could have been that Nike just went up to them and said, "this is your uniform on the new template. Look fine?" And the teams didn't think twice about the collar. It wouldn't surprise me if at least one team saw the patriots and didn't even think they could keep their collar like that.

I might believe it if there weren't so many teams that stuck with the old collar or have a full collar. I think there are a certain group of teams who are EXTREMELY concerned with their brand/look (NE, GB, OAK to name a few) and they had a specific vision of how they wanted to look. Nike went to them and got told "No, we want this instead." Any team that got "suckered" into the new collar didn't care enough to protect their image in the first place.

the problem is that nike has been eliminating contrasting collars with their college teams that have adopted the pro combat/speed machine look...when I heard that they were going to use the speed machine template for the nfl, I initially thought that all contrasting collars were going away...boy was I wrong as I never thought they would try to shoehorn a traditional collar onto essentially a collarless jersey.

big mistake.

these collars are making me so mad

2bac6e08f6bc663476cfe580a0bf2af4.jpg

We finally have our golds matched only to sport this eyesore of a collar. So close to a solid look. So, so close.

We haven't seen the gold pants yet so this may be premature. Concerns me a lot that PT at the premier and now Toon at the rookie deal are in the unitard all black. Wonder if they're switching to the black pants as the default with the black jersey (please God, nooooo!).

And hating those stupid collars may have unified this board more than anything else has, at least since I've been here. :D

these collars are making me so mad

2bac6e08f6bc663476cfe580a0bf2af4.jpg

We finally have our golds matched only to sport this eyesore of a collar. So close to a solid look. So, so close.

The sunlight photo here looks good, but if I remember correctly, under the artificial lighting of the unveiling (and the Superdome) the golds still did not match.

Good point.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

george_wilsonnike.jpg

SU12_AT_NFL_UNIFORM_FLYWIRE_BILLS_large.jpg

>>>>>>

I must say .... The day Nike unveiled the 32 uniforms and I saw that above photo of George Wilson modeling it, I gasped!! ohmy.gif

It reminded me of the early 90s when Carwell Gardner used to wear that white padding around his collar. Some LB's and FB's used to wear them, offensive linemen too.

It didn't look good then and it surely doesn't look good now.

e127_12.JPG

There's still 2½ months until the preseason, and if a team has serious remorse about those collars I refuse to believe Nike couldn't quickly produce those elite game jerseys without the thick white collar or whatever collar if so requested. This is a major mass-production company, that's plenty of time.

In most teams case just keep it the color of the jersey like Arizona did. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the Cardinals were initially shown theirs with the white collar and said "no freakin' way" before Nike made theirs all-burgundy because they still have the flywire. I saw another photos of the AZ gameday uni, and it had the glossy part under the front stitching like on the Bills jersey.

Many fans buy the authentics which are now know as 'elite' ... I guarantee this is going to deeply effect jersey sales for those buyers.

azflywirejersey.png

Hoping they change it for 2012 is futile. It's the same reason they don't let players change numbers willy-nilly: the merchandise has been produced. No way in hell will Nike eat that stock. They are almost certainly going to be wearing the ugly collars in 2012.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Hoping they change it for 2012 is futile. It's the same reason they don't let players change numbers willy-nilly: the merchandise has been produced. No way in hell will Nike eat that stock. They are almost certainly going to be wearing the ugly collars in 2012.

>>>>>>

Yea ... I'm afraid you're right.

I do though believe that sales on the 'elite' jerseys for the buyer who normally buy authentic jerseys will DEEPLY drop.

Hopefully they correct it by the 2013 season. I just can't believe so many teams signed off on them with a collar looking like that.

I like how Detroit has theirs, it's not a game jersey, but at least they didn't make theirs with those fly wire collars in silver.

Nike-NFL-Detroit-Lions-81-Calvin-Johnson-Game-Team-Color-Blue-Jersey.jpg

I honestly believe that you wont see those collars for to much longer...

BTW, I'm kinda surprised that this thread has gone on longer than it did. It was originally intended to just be predictions of who would change and who wouldn't.

Yeah. This has basically become the NFL offseason Nike uniforms news and opinions thread. That'd be a good rename for this thread 29texan, but only you can change the title, since you started the thread.

Huh..... I completely forgot about that.

Just don't know how.

EDIT: Nevermind.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

BTW, I'm kinda surprised that this thread has gone on longer than it did. It was originally intended to just be predictions of who would change and who wouldn't.

Yeah. This has basically become the NFL offseason Nike uniforms news and opinions thread. That'd be a good rename for this thread 29texan, but only you can change the title, since you started the thread.

Just don't know how.

I chuckled when I saw that you renamed the thread. You chose a much more fluid title than I originally suggested. Good job.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I guarantee this is going to deeply effect jersey sales for those buyers.

Guarantee is a bold statement. To be honest, I don't think the general audience of buyers really care either way. If they want a new jersey for their team, they will buy it. Regardless of the collar (or anything else).

It is a bummer that these Nike uniforms seem to be causing more harm than good. I wish they didn't mess with the collars, and just had the Nike fitting and materials. And instead of making uniforms like my vikings worse looking, I wish they just re-did a couple teams. Sorry for not wording everything well, but that has just been on my mind. I know the teams had the choice to accept the new template, but Nike could of redesigned a couple teams!

Just don't know how.

I chuckled when I saw that you renamed the thread. You chose a much more fluid title than I originally suggested. Good job.

Seemed kinda pointless calling it just the "Predictions thread" when they've been a couple months now...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

As a Seahawks fan, these collar issues make me happy we went the route we did! What is confusing to me is that the Washington Huskies have used this toilet seat cover collar for the last few years and imo it looks smaller than the NFL versions and also looks decent on the jersey. Anyone agree with me? Granted I wasn't happy when the Dawgs switched to this style but it has grown on me. Is it smaller? Does the piping make it work? I don't know but to me it looks way better than the saints or ravens.

That's not the same jersey template as what the NFL teams are using.

My bad, I thought it was. Do you mind pointing out the differences? Does UW not use flywire? I guess my point was they can make the collar somewhat fit with the jersey and look the size of the traditional collar here but not on these NFL jerseys. Am I wrong that the flywire part is only on the front of the neck with the same colored flywire like the shoes have or did I miss understand and it's a system throughout the neck of the jersey? Thanks

The UW jersey does NOT use the flywire. Their jerseys are the same cut as what Alabama currently wears.

No, Washington's uniforms are an older version of the Pro Combat template. Bama wears the Speed Machine.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It is the Speed Machine. They just don't have the flywire.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It is not the speed machine.

6_347324.jpg

That jersey he has on is no different than this.

jake_locker_washington610x.jpg

This is the speed machine. The collar size, not just the flywire, is noticeably different.

ApKQxMyCAAEMJ6-.jpg

Which means, Alabama's jersey is no different than this, save for the colored piping and contrasting collar...

Washington+v+Stanford+81-_XR1tM5Rl.jpg

Archived