NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Heres a few tweets. It's clear these people don't know that many othe teams have this look...

That black collar thing on the Saints uniforms is really irritating. Just looks out of place.

Saints jerseys look like it has a collar. Ugly. #whodatnation

Those @Saints @nikefootball jersey's are ugly around the collar #JustSaying

?@nightowlsinc: The collar on these Saints jerseys looks ridiculous.? all that is missing is the bow tie. #NikeFAIL

What in the hell is with the black part of the Saints uniforms around the collar? Looks awful.

It really is ugly. So unnecessary #nikefication RT @Warchant_DC: Hate the collar on those new Nike Saints unis.

Nice work on the saints uniform @Nike. The jerseys look like they have a 70's style leisure suit collar on them.

Honestly though, if you search twitter for "Nike Saints" you'll get a lot of positive tweets too.

I searched "saints collar" and it was overwhelmingly negative.

Then again, a search for the collars will most certainly bring about negative responses because they are people who are focusing on that single aspect. For someone who liked the Nike unis, they would probably wouldn't focus on just that part. It's a self fulfilling search. It would be like searching for the words "broken iPhone" and 99% of the results would be negative.

Same thing I thought. How many people are actually going to tweet "Man those Nike collars are sick!"

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said this a few pages back, and I'll repeat it now that we've seen the collar in action: while there will be a subset of fans that care (us and the Twitterati who posted about it tonight), the teams just don't care that much. I don't think it is a stretch to say 20+ teams will wear whatever the hell Nike gives them because they don't care beyond the colors and the logo. It's just not that important to them. For the teams that kept the old template, it matters. For the Texans, who eschewed the new collar, it matters. But it's pretty clear that most of the others don't.

If the Saints cared, they'd have gone a different direction with the gold matching. If the teams with the funky yoke collars cared, they'd have gone the route Houston did. The teams "MIGHT" change for 2013, but don't be so certain. Maybe 2-3 teams will. If they let it get to this point, what makes you think they'll care that much to fix it? Nike didn't show up with jerseys they day before the unveil and say, "This is what you get". Clearly, there was a feedback loop.

Remember, it's a feature, not a bug.

(edit for spelling)

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I mean this is totally ridiculous. How the hell did several the NFL teams allow this to see the field?

Are teams that chose blocked flywire collars going to be stuck with this for 5 years?

And anyone notice how extra "fly" Drew Brees' uniform was. Huge flywire section. Even bigger than the offensive lineman. And the pants looked awful, especially when the lineman began to sweat through them.

ad48168b6eb04c0c92ab539d64ea817a-afa86255c6cb4612a72e5245567311b1-0.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, NFL uniforms as brought to you by the 1977 Chicago White Sox.

I mean this is totally ridiculous. How the hell did several the NFL teams allow this to see the field?

Are teams that chose blocked flywire collars going to be stuck with this for 5 years?

And anyone notice how extra "fly" Drew Brees' uniform was. Huge flywire section. Even bigger than the offensive lineman. And the pants looked awful, especially when the lineman began to sweat through them.

ad48168b6eb04c0c92ab539d64ea817a-afa86255c6cb4612a72e5245567311b1-0.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, NFL uniforms as brought to you by the 1977 Chicago White Sox.

Always love busting out the Chet Lemon!!

chet-lemon.jpg?w=497

I don't think the collars on the white look as nearly bad as they will on the black jerseys but I could be wrong.

I really do not like the uniforms overall & wish they were still Reebok.

I think they kind of look bush league not even as good as some of the Nike schools look.

Whoever had asked if teams were going to wear the color-coordinated shoes, I guess that question has been answered. Players on AZ all look to be in black shoes, yet NO's players shoes are not consistent.

Both Arizona and New Orleans were wearing black shoes. No inconsistency with either team.

Very nice to see and both teams looked very good.

And can we move on about the collars? They are friggin' collars, for God sake.

No, because the collars are intentionally horrible to draw attention to the fact that they are a proprietary Nike design element. The giant collar (which inexplicably cuts off) is terrible for taking up decreasing shoulder space, but it is made far worse by the fact that the neck hole is giant and they could easily fit a normal collar inside that hole. There is no need to show off the shoulder pads and undershirts.

As for the rest of the uniforms, the Saints looked terrible. The golds might be close to matching now, but it looks bad. Khaki pants are not befitting the New Orleans Saints. As for the Cardinals, the proprietary Nike belt loop "technology" is 1) unnecessary, and 2) an eye sore. It looks particularly bad on teams like the Cardinals whose pant stripes are meant to tie into the jersey stripes. It's inexcusable to have a patch of white over the stripe. Their jerseys were even worse. Nike went with the dual-fabric nonsense to have distinctive sweat zones on the fabric. The top and bottom of the jerseys were completely different colors. It's an absolute joke.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think it's been said before, but the Nike swooshes look terrible on the sleeves. The TV numbers need to be moved closer to the collar.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

From the 49ers website the other day. Three stripes in full effect!

11.jpg

Nah, this is in full effect.

alexsmith01.jpg

Well, the three stripes are there. It's just that elastic in sleeve. I'm just happy that David Akers isn't the only player now that has a jersey where we can see all three stripes fully

Go A's!

I had always wished that the 49ers had some gold on their jersey just to match their helmet and pants.

The fact that it doesn't is my favorite part of the 49ers look.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Didnt nike say that they were planning a larger scale re-design than just the small changes they made this year to a few teams? I believe nike is just trying to, in a way, phase out some of the mess that reebok created...The collars may look big but they are there for comfort, and at least they arent being tied down by a shoe string or cut or, like ray lewis, not actually exist. By the looks of the college game, nike is by far the best looking uniforms fit wise (whether traditional or not). Their uniforms "fit" the athletes well and dont look like spandex just kinda laying all crooked on shoulder pads or that the pant stripe has a massive bulge in the middle of the leg where it stretches too much. Give nike a year to develop the rest of their "idea" before we start shooting them down.

Miami.png

Thanks for posting that... always nice to be reminded how tired that uniform had gotten and why I'm so glad they brought back their classic look.

Between the boring design, the horrendous color distribution, and the butt-ugly interrupted sleeve stripes, the Niners' current uniforms are already more tired than the classics I posted will ever be.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived