NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/7/2012 at 0:05 PM, phutmasterflex said:
On 8/7/2012 at 11:05 AM, DGivens87 said:
On 8/6/2012 at 0:04 PM, phutmasterflex said:

From the 49ers website the other day. Three stripes in full effect!

Um, is that a VISA logo on a game jersey??? I understand it's a pic from practice, but that looks a lot like game jersey to me.

Harbaugh requires players to wear the game jersey during practice because he wants the players to get the feel and accustomed to wearing game jersey versus a much looser practice jersey. Less injuries occur with a tighter, game jersey he believes. He started this last year. So yeah, since VISA is supposed to be on the jerseys during practice, the VISA logo is on these game jerseys.

How long until someone deems this "tasteful" and deems them worthy for game action.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

From the 49ers website the other day. Three stripes in full effect!

11.jpg

Um, is that a VISA logo on a game jersey??? I understand it's a pic from practice, but that looks a lot like game jersey to me.

Harbaugh requires players to wear the game jersey during practice because he wants the players to get the feel and accustomed to wearing game jersey versus a much looser practice jersey. Less injuries occur with a tighter, game jersey he believes. He started this last year. So yeah, since VISA is supposed to be on the jerseys during practice, the VISA logo is on these game jerseys.

How long until someone deems this "tasteful" and deems them worthy for game action.

5 years...as with the nba this is simply inevitable...pro sports used to not be as profit driven as other traditional industries but once the league started grossing revenues in the billions the mentality shifted to the point where profit was as important if not more than winning, especially among the newest generation of owners...any mba marketing class will tell you that a property (intellectual or physical)is by definition, destined to be fully exploited or maximized in terms of revenue...if there is an opportunity to gain revenue, it should be taken so in the profit taking business person's mind the cost of mucking a uniform is simply outweighed by the incremental revenue.

while this logic works in the profits at all cost every fiscal quarter mentality, the long term costs are rarely considered in terms of brand dilution or product degradation...so like I said this will happen but only time will tell as to what the real lasting impact will be.

If they made the wings on the pants stripes lime green instead of gray, I'd agree with you.

I believe they intentionally did not make them green as the blue pants have green ones and they will better match the blue jerseys. Believe they will eventually settle back into the all blue monochome home look again.

Sure why not. Maximize the full ugly potential of the uniform.

Seattle2012.png

It bothers me that the middle "chunk" of the sleeve stripe is lime green on the blue jersey, but all parts of the sleeve striping are the same color on the other two jerseys. For ultra-modern uniforms, the white and gray versions are pretty colorless.

1) That's extremely silly of Harbaugh.

2) If that's the case, this is a second set of game jerseys with the patch on them. They will not see the field during games.

1- As he explained it last year, with a tighter game jersey, less chances of pulling on a loose jersey and getting injured. Harbaugh wants to simulate game situations as much as possible during camp, so he has players wear game jerseys. His practices are also three hours long, which is the average length of an NFL game. I wouldn't call it silly as his reasons behind it seem pretty reasonable. And it's not like the sponsors get hosed from it. The logo is still there.

2- Exactly. The team have the normal practice jerseys which were used during OTAs. They have these game jerseys for practices. And they have the jerseys for the actual games.

Go A's!

Thanks for posting that... always nice to be reminded how tired that uniform had gotten and why I'm so glad they brought back their classic look.

Between the boring design, the horrendous color distribution, and the butt-ugly interrupted sleeve stripes, the Niners' current uniforms are already more tired than the classics I posted will ever be.

The color distribution isn't a problem, and here's why. Each element is part of the uniform, and when combined with the other elements, the rhythm of the color distribution is perfect. You have your predominantly gold element up top, with red and white trim, followed by your red element with white trim, then another gold, red and white element to balance out the top portion, and finally another red and white element to finish it off. Like a poem; A-B-A-B. It's all part of the uniform, and the elements are always* seen together, so the colors are always in balance.

* I anticipate you're going to call me out at this point, saying that (technically) fans wear just the jersey quite often, and sometimes a player won't have his helmet on, or he'll be wearing sweats instead of game pants on the sideline, and so forth. I don't want to address this foolishness later, so I'm doing it now. Nobody's image of the 49ers uniform is of a fan wearing just the jersey or a player wearing sweats on the sideline.

A Marine Corps uniform might consist of a white cap, dark blue jacket and medium blue trousers, but it still works because as a whole, each element works together to achieve a level that you can't reach with each part individually.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2) If that's the case, this is a second set of game jerseys with the patch on them. They will not see the field during games.

1- As he explained it last year, with a tighter game jersey, less chances of pulling on a loose jersey and getting injured. Harbaugh wants to simulate game situations as much as possible during camp, so he has players wear game jerseys. His practices are also three hours long, which is the average length of an NFL game. I wouldn't call it silly as his reasons behind it seem pretty reasonable. And it's not like the sponsors get hosed from it. The logo is still there.

2- Exactly. The team have the normal practice jerseys which were used during OTAs. They have these game jerseys for practices. And they have the jerseys for the actual games.

1. the guy is definitely eccentric and probably has a few screws loose but he's gonna lose way more guys to injury simply by going overboard with full contact sessions. injuries attributed to loose jerseys should be the least of his concerns. as far as simulating game situations, is the quarterback fair game? are ball carriers being taken to the ground? are they cut blocking inside the box? are they blowing whistles early or letting bad plays run all the way out? are all of the dirty tricks bin play? (holding/foot stomping/hands inside face masks). I think all of the conditions I just mentioned much more reflect game conditions rather than just wearing the game jerseys.

2. fun fact: before the drop shadow era, old game jerseys were the 9ers traditional practice jerseys. they also wore white in the exhibition season at home assuming that they could get away with having one set of jerseys before settling on a final roster. so what we are really witnessing is a revival of an old practice tradition

The color distribution isn't a problem, and here's why. Each element is part of the uniform, and when combined with the other elements, the rhythm of the color distribution is perfect. You have your predominantly gold element up top, with red and white trim, followed by your red element with white trim, then another gold, red and white element to balance out the top portion, and finally another red and white element to finish it off. Like a poem; A-B-A-B. It's all part of the uniform, and the elements are always* seen together, so the colors are always in balance.

I get what you're saying, but it still just doesn't look good to completely ignore one of the team colors for select parts of the uniform and then emphasize it in other places. While the A-B-A-B color distribution makes sense to me in theory, I still think it looks disjointed and bland. I have the same issue with the Niners' uniforms that I do with Oregon's: they have a great color scheme! Wear it with pride! No need to muddle things by not wearing one of the team colors or adding unnecessary colors.

* I anticipate you're going to call me out at this point, saying that (technically) fans wear just the jersey quite often, and sometimes a player won't have his helmet on, or he'll be wearing sweats instead of game pants on the sideline, and so forth. I don't want to address this foolishness later, so I'm doing it now. Nobody's image of the 49ers uniform is of a fan wearing just the jersey or a player wearing sweats on the sideline.

No, but fan jerseys are a pretty big money-maker, so teams should probably be more mindful of what could potentially get lost in that application.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1. the guy is definitely eccentric and probably has a few screws loose but he's gonna lose way more guys to injury simply by going overboard with full contact sessions. injuries attributed to loose jerseys should be the least of his concerns. as far as simulating game situations, is the quarterback fair game? are ball carriers being taken to the ground? are they cut blocking inside the box? are they blowing whistles early or letting bad plays run all the way out? are all of the dirty tricks bin play? (holding/foot stomping/hands inside face masks). I think all of the conditions I just mentioned much more reflect game conditions rather than just wearing the game jerseys.

2. fun fact: before the drop shadow era, old game jerseys were the 9ers traditional practice jerseys. they also wore white in the exhibition season at home assuming that they could get away with having one set of jerseys before settling on a final roster. so what we are really witnessing is a revival of an old practice tradition

1- Harbaugh never said that jerseys will be determining factor between a player's injury, but he feels that it would be better to have players to wear game jerseys during practice. And they're not doing everything similar to an actual game, but three hour practices is for conditioning purposes, preparing them for the grind of a real game. The entire point for Harbaugh is to prepare for the team for the season and if simulating game conditions by uniforms, practice length is something he believes helps, then he's going to do it. Players haven't complained, VISA doesn't get screwed over, so here we are.

2- Harbaugh has had some unique uniform quirks. Here's a story I wrote last year when I was covering the team as a full-time reporter.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jim-harbaugh-adds-own-style-to-49ers-uniforms-this-year

Go A's!

Yeah, a more brassy gold would have looked so much better.

But what really bothers me is how busy the swoosh is against the shoulder numbers.

Agree on both. The number outlines look khaki, not gold. The pale gold is awful. And it seems to me the best idea for Nike would have been to put the swoosh on the upper left chest. That solves both the "busy" problem and the backwards swoosh on the right sleeves, which looks ridiculous.

501fa41a46d3f.preview-300.jpg

To earlier posts, agree that the collars look ridiculous on the Saints and that the back numbers are definitely different, more narrow it seems.

BTW, anybody notice the weird gold FDL NFL Network is using? It's nothing like the Saints' actual FDL (well, except the overall shape of course.) For one thing it's all gold and another glaring difference is that it has a "belt" like this one:

1212971990fmDqZ9.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I get what you're saying, but it still just doesn't look good to completely ignore one of the team colors for select parts of the uniform and then emphasize it in other places. While the A-B-A-B color distribution makes sense to me in theory, I still think it looks disjointed and bland. I have the same issue with the Niners' uniforms that I do with Oregon's: they have a great color scheme! Wear it with pride! No need to muddle things by not wearing one of the team colors or adding unnecessary colors.

No, but fan jerseys are a pretty big money-maker, so teams should probably be more mindful of what could potentially get lost in that application.

Interesting theory. Makes a lot of sense, but I don't think the average jersey buy cares enough for the team to bother thinking that way. Plus there's also the fact that it looks just fine. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1- Harbaugh never said that jerseys will be determining factor between a player's injury, but he feels that it would be better to have players to wear game jerseys during practice. And they're not doing everything similar to an actual game, but three hour practices is for conditioning purposes, preparing them for the grind of a real game. The entire point for Harbaugh is to prepare for the team for the season and if simulating game conditions by uniforms, practice length is something he believes helps, then he's going to do it. Players haven't complained, VISA doesn't get screwed over, so here we are.

2- Harbaugh has had some unique uniform quirks. Here's a story I wrote last year when I was covering the team as a full-time reporter.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jim-harbaugh-adds-own-style-to-49ers-uniforms-this-year

ok so we're both in agreement that he's nuts.

ok so we're both in agreement that he's nuts.

Nuts in a good way, if I had to categorize it. But if he continues to win, I'll accept his nuttiness however out of the norm it is

Go A's!

Yeah, a more brassy gold would have looked so much better.

But what really bothers me is how busy the swoosh is against the shoulder numbers.

Agree on both. The number outlines look khaki, not gold. The pale gold is awful. And it seems to me the best idea for Nike would have been to put the swoosh on the upper left chest. That solves both the "busy" problem and the backwards swoosh on the right sleeves, which looks ridiculous.

Moving it to the chest was not possible. The NFL determines placement of logos, and they allow one on each sleeve and one on either pant leg or hip. Believe me, Nike asked.

For comparison...

Last year

mark-ingram.jpg

This year

Cardinal-vs-saints.jpg

- The numbers are closer together this year.

- The golds, at least in the lighting of these pics, don't look as different as I thought they were.

- The pants FDL is farther down the stripe.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Reebok Saints jerseys had ample room between the team logo and the tv numbers for a manufacturers logo. Why did Nike feel the need to move the FdL higher up on the sleeves?

The reason there's not as much room on the Nike uniform is that the elastic cuff on the sleeves and the jersey collar are much wider than the Reebok jerseys. This leaves less room to fit the FDL & Swoosh on the sleeve and numbers on the shoulders.

The Carolina Panthers jersey colors are out.

http://www.panthers....66-b95541242f70

Their black jerseys are some of the best in football. They need to wear them for all home games other than the one alternate game per year. If the Raiders can deal with the heat of 1,000 suns upon them wearing black jerseys in Oakland, the Panthers can live with it in the early season, too.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived