29texan

NIKE NFL Uniforms

tempDSC_0186--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

I'm not a fan when they go monochrome, but this is so much better than our previous disaster from 2002-2011. So much better!!

Anna...you crazy.

I've got to agree with Anna on this one. I despised that old set, and although I hate monochrome, this set is a huge upgrade.

Also, I love that all the players in that photo are wearing the new team-colored cleats.

The cleats really complete the look. I think this set looks great.

This picture perfectly encapsulates what is wrong with the new Seahawks' uniform set. All three elements are disconnected.

Helmets? Double blue and grey.

Jerseys? A balance of navy, grey, and neon green.

Pants? Navy and neon green.

Each piece emphasizes the team's colour scheme in such a different way that they almost look like they come from three different uniform sets.

I believe the jersey is the balancing factor. The helmet is blue/grey, the pants are blue/green, and the jersey has all 3. It all comes together right in the middle. Love it and I love how our lime green pops with these new uniforms. That picture really show how beautiful this new look is; even if I hate monochrome.

When a team has three official colors, I don't think it should be mandatory to all 3 colors appear on every single item. I think the Chargers are a perfect example of a team that has done that and it looks too busy.

I dunno, at first I hated the Seahawks new look, but that look is starting to grow on me. Even the monochrome they sported today.

I am one of the few people that loved their home look on day one and I really liked them today especially with more players wearing the neon green shoes than the standard black/white.

Yeah, the neon green shoes were a nice touch to the look.

tempDSC_0186--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

This picture perfectly encapsulates what is wrong with the new Seahawks' uniform set. All three elements are disconnected.

Helmets? Double blue and grey.

Jerseys? A balance of navy, grey, and neon green.

Pants? Navy and neon green.

Each piece emphasizes the team's colour scheme in such a different way that they almost look like they come from three different uniform sets.

Exactly. Plus, it's just so damn undignified. ^_^

Still, I think the gray pants take it from a "1" to maybe a "4"... add some green to the gray pants and you might push "6".

Has a team benefited more from the switch to Nike than the Cardinals? The white jersey just looks so much more crisp.

as far as standardizing the different uniform cuts, the Bengals have really benefited from Nike. The reebook uniforms had different cuts all across the team so the uniform wasn't exactly uniform. Now every guy looks like he's wearing the same jersey and you don't have issues like some players whose nameplate extended below the orange yoke on the white jerseys.

As a team they look much cleaner.

Has a team benefited more from the switch to Nike than the Cardinals? The white jersey just looks so much more crisp.

I need pictures.

cardinals-patriots-ap-t1.jpg

g-spt-120916-gostkowski-213p.nbcsports-story-612.jpg

as far as standardizing the different uniform cuts, the Bengals have really benefited from Nike. The reebook uniforms had different cuts all across the team so the uniform wasn't exactly uniform. Now every guy looks like he's wearing the same jersey and you don't have issues like some players whose nameplate extended below the orange yoke on the white jerseys.

As a team they look much cleaner.

Ah, true. Don't get to many Bengals games over here, but I did catch one in the preseason so I totally forgot about them. You're so right, the Bengals do look a million times better. Both teams essentially had the same problems with cuts/nameplates that appear to be fixed with the Nike takeover.

Ah, true. Don't get to many Bengals games over here, but I did catch one in the preseason so I totally forgot about them. You're so right, the Bengals do look a million times better. Both teams essentially had the same problems with cuts/nameplates that appear to be fixed with the Nike takeover.

I don't have a picture, but if I remember correctly Kevin Kolb's red nameplate extended down into the white of his jersey yesterday, unfortunately.

I don't have a picture, but if I remember correctly Kevin Kolb's red nameplate extended down into the white of his jersey yesterday, unfortunately.

Wow.

09000d5d82b7f2e6.jpg

Why the heck did they do that?

Holy large image Batman!

Anyone see that Titus Young has "Young Sr." on the back of his jersey?

Yeah, isn't he a bit young to have a kid in the nfl? Isn't that the only way to have a "sr." on your jersey?

I know some college kids that have to pay child support. Young is what, 23/24? Not that rare anymore.

My personal uniform matchup winners for week 2 (sans tonight's MNF game, but neither set is a huge favorite of mine anyways)..

Gold Medal: Chicago at Green Bay

I'm more of a traditionalist, so this matchup will always be tough to beat, even when they play in Chicago and the sets are flipped:

Bears_Packers_Football_113912_game.jpg

Silver Medal: Detroit at San Francisco

I know the 49'ers set isn't universally loved on this site, but it's always been a personal favorite of mine, especially early in the season when the sun shines over Candlestick for afternoon kickoffs. This was the national Fox game, so I watched most of this game and found myself in aesthetic awe of the sun glaring off sliver helmets versus gold helmets. Just a pretty looking game. I've always loved how vibrant the 49'ers red jerseys look.

Lions_49ers_Football_114390_game.jpg

Bronze Medal: Kansas City at Buffalo

If not for Buffalo's toilet seat collars, this one ranks a tad higher. Other teams have the same collar, but it just seems more pronounced on Buffalo than it does on TB, St Louis, etc.. Buffalo still has a good home set that would be fantastic with a non-contrasting collar, while Kansas City arguably made the biggest leap in the league with the Reebok --> Nike conversion. Bonus points for the red pants.

Chiefs_Bills_Football_114108_game.jpg

My personal uniform matchup winners for week 2 (sans tonight's MNF game, but neither set is a huge favorite of mine anyways)..

Gold Medal: Chicago at Green Bay

I'm more of a traditionalist, so this matchup will always be tough to beat, even when they play in Chicago and the sets are flipped:

Bears_Packers_Football_113912_game.jpg

Silver Medal: Detroit at San Francisco

I know the 49'ers set isn't universally loved on this site, but it's always been a personal favorite of mine, especially early in the season when the sun shines over Candlestick for afternoon kickoffs. This was the national Fox game, so I watched most of this game and found myself in aesthetic awe of the sun glaring off sliver helmets versus gold helmets. Just a pretty looking game. I've always loved how vibrant the 49'ers red jerseys look.

Lions_49ers_Football_114390_game.jpg

Bronze Medal: Kansas City at Buffalo

If not for Buffalo's toilet seat collars, this one ranks a tad higher. Other teams have the same collar, but it just seems more pronounced on Buffalo than it does on TB, St Louis, etc.. Buffalo still has a good home set that would be fantastic with a non-contrasting collar, while Kansas City arguably made the biggest leap in the league with the Reebok --> Nike conversion. Bonus points for the red pants.

Chiefs_Bills_Football_114108_game.jpg

the 49ers stripes are an absolute trainwreck. why don't they just mimic the bears' stripes? with the current placement you basically see 1/2 a stripe tucked under a sleeve, if that. alex smith's jersey is the only one that looks decent. also the tan pants are a total downgrade from the gold but that gripe is across the league.

fyi...the 9ers game was on nbc and the kickoff was at 5:30.

You're right, it was NBC's Sunday night game, but my point still stands that the first half was played under sunny skies. Your other point is understandable, but still just an opinion. I have a soft spot for the 49'ers set, shoulder stripes and all.

Seeing fans in the stands with both Nike and Reebok jerseys really cemented the point for me. The Nike ones look like crap. The material is just so un-jersey like (by what we're accustomed to think that a jersey should look like) and looks like a stiff t-shirt with numbers on it (and mesh side panels for some reason.) Also, while they do appear to fit much better for people in average-to-good shape, let's face it - there's a lot of big fat Fs wearing these things, and they cling to their big fat bellies.

Put the Nike numbers on a Reebok jersey and you have a winner. To people who are saying "but the shoulder material is thicker and stronger", "it's better made", etc., I ask "so what"? You're just wearing it like it's a shirt. You don't need it to withstand armed combat.

Seeing fans in the stands with both Nike and Reebok jerseys really cemented the point for me. The Nike ones look like crap. The material is just so un-jersey like (by what we're accustomed to think that a jersey should look like) and looks like a stiff t-shirt with numbers on it (and mesh side panels for some reason.) Also, while they do appear to fit much better for people in average-to-good shape, let's face it - there's a lot of big fat Fs wearing these things, and they cling to their big fat bellies.

Put the Nike numbers on a Reebok jersey and you have a winner. To people who are saying "but the shoulder material is thicker and stronger", "it's better made", etc., I ask "so what"? You're just wearing it like it's a shirt. You don't need it to withstand armed combat.

I whole-heartily disagree with just about everything in this post. But I'm a quality-over-cost, Apple i-everything, not-even-a-little obese guy. :P

That was my worry when I first saw the new Nike cuts -- they are not appealing for big guys. It's just one more thing, really, that will give a boost to the second-hand market. If you're a 3XL guy, would you rather be shoved into the official Nike Seahawks jersey that gives you blisters in your love handles? Or would you be more comfortable in a looser-fitting counterfeit modeled after the Reebok cuts? An NFL apparel manufacturer focusing its target demographic on fit guys seems like a losing proposition to me, especially in plus size America.

MLS jerseys are the same way. There are a ton of die-hard Sounders fans in Seattle who love buying merchandise. Again, the problem is that the jerseys only look good on fit guys. Anyone with even a little bit of a gut better be comfortable showing it off for the world. (Luckily for the Sounders, there are a ton of Seattlites without shame.)

I whole-heartily disagree with just about everything in this post. But I'm a quality-over-cost, Apple i-everything, not-even-a-little obese guy. :P

Ugh. That's the grossest cultural signifier we have today. Apple's marketing has successfully convinced a good chunk of the cell phone market that their $200 pocket computer is purchased by actual better people than other $200 pocket computers. It's so weird.

Probably already covered in here but did the replacement refs not get equipped with white pants? Looks odd seeing them in the black cold-weather pants in warm temperature or dome games.

I would have more sympathy for my larger brethren, but the fact is that these Nike replica jerseys are not that much slimmer than the Reebok alternatives. If anything, they are still too "big" IMO, especially in the sleeves. Nike should shrink those down, then provide a "big 'n tall" replica cut for those who prefer their uniforms with more room for girth.

As for materials, I for one am glad they moved away from the polymesh. First of all, the only football teams that still use mesh uniforms are small budget highschools that havent purchased new uniforms in the last 10 years. Secondly, the mesh was itchy, uncomfortable, and semi-transparent. I always had to wear a tshirt underneath the old replicas anyway, so these new ones eliminate the need for that.

As for your Apple hatred (and this isn't the place for it), it's not the specs that have creatives like myself headed in droves for the Apple store; it's the quality, accessibility, and integration across mediums. While the specs for my 15" MacBook Pro that I bought 6 years ago aren't any more impressive than my roommates' HP, mine has outlasted his by 3 years and is still going strong.