NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Here's a VERY rough draft of my idea:

qHUeO.png

In hindsight, I'm not sure I quite captured the shade of powder blue that I'm looking for, but you get the idea.

I absolutely hate it, but mainly because it breaks my football uniform rule. 2 of the 3 uniform items have to match (helmet, jersey, pants), and if you absolutely insist on not having 2/3 match, the helmet has to be the darkest item of the uniform. I've NEVER seen a uniform combination where the three items were all different and the helmet was the lightest part of the uniform that didn't end up looking completely bush league.

Slightly disagree. The Patriots silver-white-navy road set, Boston College gold-white-maroon set (not sure if they still wear this or not) look good IMO.

I don't think I've seen a white helmet example that looks good, nor a dark jersey / lighter helmet example.

Granted, there are some exceptions to the rule, but neither of those looks had the helmet as the lightest part of the set, as you stated. If the Chargers insist on having a white helmet, they absolutely have to go with white pants or, gulp, wear a monochrome uni with it. Otherwise it just looks cheap.

BlueSky's idea above actually seems to be a great compromise. Yellow helmet, powder jersey, yellow pants. Boom. It's a combination that not only solves my biggest uniform gripe and would look fantastic, but it would as well tie in with the Los Angeles area well because of the colleges. Powder for UCLA, Gold for USC (Ok, it's a stretch, but still :P )

I think a uniform like that could work as long as there's enough white on the jersey and socks to make the helmet not feel disjointed.

This picture perfectly encapsulates what is wrong with the new Seahawks' uniform set. All three elements are disconnected.

Helmets? Double blue and grey.

Jerseys? A balance of navy, grey, and neon green.

Pants? Navy and neon green.

Each piece emphasizes the team's colour scheme in such a different way that they almost look like they come from three different uniform sets.

I believe the jersey is the balancing factor. The helmet is blue/grey, the pants are blue/green, and the jersey has all 3. It all comes together right in the middle. Love it and I love how our lime green pops with these new uniforms. That picture really show how beautiful this new look is; even if I hate monochrome.

When a team has three official colors, I don't think it should be mandatory to all 3 colors appear on every single item. I think the Chargers are a perfect example of a team that has done that and it looks too busy.

I like the colors, but as Ice_cap pointed out, it just doesn't come together right. There are three uniforms there, but they took a piece from each one instead of talking all the elements from one uniform.

I would have more sympathy for my larger brethren, but the fact is that these Nike replica jerseys are not that much slimmer than the Reebok alternatives. If anything, they are still too "big" IMO, especially in the sleeves. Nike should shrink those down, then provide a "big 'n tall" replica cut for those who prefer their uniforms with more room for girth.

As for materials, I for one am glad they moved away from the polymesh. First of all, the only football teams that still use mesh uniforms are small budget highschools that havent purchased new uniforms in the last 10 years. Secondly, the mesh was itchy, uncomfortable, and semi-transparent. I always had to wear a tshirt underneath the old replicas anyway, so these new ones eliminate the need for that.

As for your Apple hatred (and this isn't the place for it), it's not the specs that have creatives like myself headed in droves for the Apple store; it's the quality, accessibility, and integration across mediums. While the specs for my 15" MacBook Pro that I bought 6 years ago aren't any more impressive than my roommates' HP, mine has outlasted his by 3 years and is still going strong.

I noticed that, too. The jerseys are still oversized. They need to add an XS for people that are our size. As far as Apple goes. I buy a lot fo stuff because it's not offensive to look at. I value something that's visually put together as well as it is physically functional. I think Apple's quality has waned recently. Our 5+ year old machines run like tops, but I don't see that happening as much anymore.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed Sunday that the Panthers' shoulder stripes vairied on different players. On most lineman, the stripes were cut off and looked LSU style. On Cam Newton, the stripes extended all the way and were warped, almost looking like enlarged USC/Texans stripes. The lineman-style looks better, but the inconsistency bothered me the whole game.

A. The Panthers have had that mismatch for as long as I can remember. B. You're crazy.

This is how shoulder loops are supposed to look.

Saints%20Panthers%20Football.JPEG-0f9a4.jpg

Bert Jones and Troy Aikman agree

017048939.jpg

t_43287.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

I noticed Sunday that the Panthers' shoulder stripes vairied on different players. On most lineman, the stripes were cut off and looked LSU style. On Cam Newton, the stripes extended all the way and were warped, almost looking like enlarged USC/Texans stripes. The lineman-style looks better, but the inconsistency bothered me the whole game.

A. The Panthers have had that mismatch for as long as I can remember. B. You're crazy.

This is how shoulder loops are supposed to look.

Saints%20Panthers%20Football.JPEG-0f9a4.jpg

Please explain to me why the Colts and Jets can't do this too?

The Jets throwing back to these is loooong overdue. Not sure why they're hanging onto the Titans identity so hard. That part of their history was practically left for dead in the 60s.

freeman-mcneil-new-york-jets-action-autographed-photograph-3392469.jpg

Jets should make those the regular and the Bill Baird(Namath) version as throwbacks. Baird was my high school teacher, I was his all time favorite student, even gave me money for graduation. I also subbed for him after I finished college. He taught drivers ed and sex ed.

The only uniforms the Jets have ever thrownback to were the poorly done 94 and 93 uniforms with the green helmet that should have been white and, the Titans uniforms. So they have never actually thrownback to an era in jets history. IMO they should wear the 1963 uniforms with the plane on the helmet.

In my opinion, the Colts, Jets, and Patriots (alternate) use spandex shoulder loops and therefore are going for a different style/look than what the Panthers are doing.

NO. the Patriots, Colts and Jets are all using uniforms that are supposed to be matches of what they've worn in the past. The full wrap-around is exactly the look the Jets and Colts SHOULD be going for, and that was his point. If the Panthers can pull it off, why not the Jets and Colts?

There's no reason that this

image.jpg

shouldn't look like this

unitas_namath.jpg

but with minimized sleeves

What they're wearing now is not a "look they're going for". It's a style that was brought on by uniform manufacturers deciding that it would be easier to manufacture jerseys without the full loop and the teams not having the stones or the care to stand up for their uniform. Now people have just accepted that the best they're going to get in terms of shoulder loops is the current jersey cut where it ends 5 inches above the armpit.

PvO6ZWJ.png

According to Madden 13, The Jets have the Titans uniforms with the Nike template so they're probably going to wear them.

I'm still hoping the Panthers black pants end up actually happening as a surprise. Like I posted in one thread, they were in the E3 Demo of Madden 13 and got mysteriously removed in the retail version.

bSLCtu2.png

In my opinion, the Colts, Jets, and Patriots (alternate) use spandex shoulder loops and therefore are going for a different style/look than what the Panthers are doing.

NO. the Patriots, Colts and Jets are all using uniforms that are supposed to be matches of what they've worn in the past. The full wrap-around is exactly the look the Jets and Colts SHOULD be going for, and that was his point. If the Panthers can pull it off, why not the Jets and Colts?

image.jpg

shouldn't look like this

unitas_namath.jpg

What they're wearing now is not a "look they're going for". It's a style that was brought on by uniform manufacturers deciding that it would be easier to manufacture jerseys without the full loop and the teams not having the stones or the care to stand up for their uniform. Now people have just accepted that the best they're going to get in terms of shoulder loops is the current jersey cut where it ends 5 inches above the armpit.

Keep in mind it may have been a conscious decision to truncate the stripes because either A. a modern, short sleeve/sleeveless jersey may look strange with full wrap shoulder loops or B. the design just won't fit as the garment is designed, and the garment is designed first and foremost for function and comfort. It would be nice to have total control and free reign over how things are manufactured as a client or a designer, but it's rarely possible, especially on such a large scale.

When you really think about it, old football jerseys started out as sweaters and over a few decades became something basically like thick t-shirts with shoulder yokes. For the last 20 years, they've pretty much stuck to a similar mold of a top with side inserts, a shoulder yoke and a cap sleeve. The Pro Combat/Speed Machine/Elite 51 jersey is the same idea with more seams in different places. Jerseys in general don't evolve much. The only truly different jersey (from a construction standpoint) that's come along recently is the TechFit, with the seamless torso, engineered fabric and pockets under the shoulder yoke to lock in the pads. It would be a great idea to design a new type of jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

According to Madden 13, The Jets have the Titans uniforms with the Nike template so they're probably going to wear them.

I don't know if you can say that. The Packers' blue throwbacks, in Nike configuration, are in the NFL Style Guide, but won't be worn this year (if ever again).

First off, I disagree that the lineman style looked better. Anyway, the lineman style is NOT how LSU's are done. It's actually much, much better than what LSU does. On their jerseys, Nike just brings the stripes down to the horizonal seam on the ftont and back, meaning it suddenly truncates with jersey color directly underneath it. On the Panthers' jerseys, the striping ends at the sleeve cuff instead of just stopping randomly. It's much better that way,

OldRomanSig2.jpg

image.jpg

shouldn't look like this

unitas_namath.jpg

you're partially right that it's a manufacturing limitation, but the main factor is that 90% of game jerseys are cap sleeved which means there is no armpit for the ucla stripes to wrap under...the only way to get a full loop under the arm would be to stretch the stripes all the way down to the side of the rib cage which would give you a houston rockets effect.

Keep in mind it may have been a conscious decision to truncate the stripes because either A. a modern, short sleeve/sleeveless jersey may look strange with full wrap shoulder loops or B. the design just won't fit as the garment is designed...

It's not that hard. On the Colts jerseys, move the striping insert farther onto the shoulders if need be and take stripes down to the cuffs on each jersey. They don't have to wrap around, but they shouldn't be little slashes that end randomly. On the Jets jerseys, they need to stop using the triple-stripe elastic-looking insert on the shoulders. Look at the picture posted. There is actually a green stripe touching the green sleeve. It's been there since they brought these back in 1997, and it never made sense, particularly with the sleeves shrinking. Make that stripe white and then sew a single piece of green material next to it, following around the sleeve insert and ending with a slight curve when it met the side panel. Again, it doesn't have to wrap all the way around, but they could clearly make it look better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't buy that that is the only way to build a modern jersey with UCLA style shoulder loops. I think it's probably the easiest way for the manufacturer and the teams relented because it doesn't bother them as much as it bothers me. If they were really pressed, Nike, Adidas, Reebok, whoever could pull off full shoulder loops again. Cam Newton is proof.

If they really wanted to, they could have full shoulder stripes, even on the new Nike speedrobots template (or whatever focus-grouped, marketing buzzword they decided to call these things). The Colts and Jets are NFL teams, the uniform manufacturers would create any uniform cut they wanted them to.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You telling me the Jets or Nike couldn't do this if they really wanted to?

jets_zpse8b02ba5.png

Mark Sanchez's left arm and #11's right arm are what I'd like to see. #11's left arm is how it is currently. Tell me the left arm is better than the right arm.

Yes, they'd have to make an adjustment to their template, but they're already making slight adjustments for multiple teams.

FWIW, I actually think the Colts stripes look longer and better on this new nike template than they did on the Reeboks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Nikes shown that they can do full shoulder loops on a modern template with lsu's pro combats. Like a lot of the uniforms complaints I think it ultimately comes down to the teams just not wanting or caring enough to change.

The cardinals and Vikings are basically colored where there could be loops if that makes sense.

I don't buy that that is the only way to build a modern jersey with UCLA style shoulder loops. I think it's probably the easiest way for the manufacturer and the teams relented because it doesn't bother them as much as it bothers me. If they were really pressed, Nike, Adidas, Reebok, whoever could pull off full shoulder loops again. Cam Newton is proof.

If they really wanted to, they could have full shoulder stripes, even on the new Nike speedrobots template (or whatever focus-grouped, marketing buzzword they decided to call these things). The Colts and Jets are NFL teams, the uniform manufacturers would create any uniform cut they wanted them to.

"Speedrobots" is nice. I think Nike's marketing dept. uses madlibs to name their templates. I was thinking we should have a contest to come up with the dumbest name, but really... how do you top "pro combat" in the dumb / fake tuff / insulting to actual combat veterans department?

Archived