NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bengals' uniforms aren't hard to fix.

As one (if not the only) team the Nikefied collars look good on, I don't think eliminating the disco collars are necessary. Several things are necessary, however:

1. Unify the sleeve stripes. Black stripes on an orange sleeve. This isn't rocket surgery.

2. Ditch the striped B logo altogether. It's a stupid, stupid, redundant logo. Use the tiger head. As for the uniforms, no logos are necessary. The tiger stripes are a strong enough element to function on their own as the primary identifier.

3. Eliminate the side panels and 3/4 pants stripe. It was a misguided attempt to emulate a Bengal tiger's white underbelly. As such, it was a dumb idea then, and it's a dumb idea now.

In addition, there are several things that aren't necessary, but would enhance their uniforms drastically (in my opinion):

1. Drop the effeminate number font. Football is a game played by manly men of unquestioned manlitude. A switch to standard block would be an immediate improvement. Also, nix the drop shadows. They look clunky on thin players.

2. Add a small wordmark under the collar. Stupid people think they're the Tigers. This would help eliminate that.

3. Lose the contrasting shoulder yokes on the away whites. It's unnecessary, plain and simple.

Sigs are for sissies.

Drop the effeminate number font. Football is a game played by manly men of unquestioned manlitude. A switch to standard block would be an immediate improvement. Also, nix the drop shadows. They look clunky on thin players.

?

Um... how's that? I'm not a fan of the font, myself, but effeminate? Like the font has boobs or something?

Actually, were that the case, I'd probably like the font better.

Bengals just need to upgrade their number font and go with orange sleeves with black Bengal stripes on every jersey. I think the pc pants stripe that gets cutoff at the bottom of the hip would be a good spot for the stripes on the pants, with maybe a logo above them. Simple enough no?

The Bengals have the busiest helmet design in the NFL, so pairing it with the busiest uniform design in the NFL is a mistake. What they need is something simple, like bringing back the inaugural uniforms but putting the current helmet with them.

They're a football team named the Bengals, not a group of tigers playing football. Having tiger stripes on the helmet, jersey, and pants is overkill. There are plenty of tiger-based football teams that have excellent looks without wearing Tigger suits

IMHO, the Chiefs white over red is one of the best road sets in the league -- and their white over white is just wrong. If they wore the red socks it would at least balance things out a little.

I agree with that last part.

Red socks would turn this white/white set from a mediocre uniform to beautiful. Funny how that little lack of balance throws the whole thing off.

edit: Wouldn't mind if they just did this:

AJGreen.png

It's a big improvement, but it still needs to go more towards the Esiason set. The tiger stripes on the shoulders, pants and helmet are enough. Lose the chest logo. Also, this uniform needs a block font to work. It should be a very traditional uniform other than the helmet and the striping areas which are filled in with tiger stripes. Anything more and it looks closer to an arena league uni.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, that was a particularly unwise adjective to use.

Especially as an epithet.

He's not using it as an epithet. The Bengals weren't intending to make effeminate uniforms. They were likely trying to make the polar opposite. So if the numbers were effeminate, it would mean that the font is very wrong for this set, it's not just an insult.

I don't personally think the font is effeminate, but it is very bad.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

IMHO, the Chiefs white over red is one of the best road sets in the league -- and their white over white is just wrong. If they wore the red socks it would at least balance things out a little.

agree on red socks. but i really like the white pants and hate the red. this forum will never collectively agree on anything, lol

and i like the Bengals number font

/i'm done

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Bengals have the busiest helmet design in the NFL, so pairing it with the busiest uniform design in the NFL is a mistake. What they need is something simple, like bringing back the inaugural uniforms but putting the current helmet with them.

They're a football team named the Bengals, not a group of tigers playing football. Having tiger stripes on the helmet, jersey, and pants is overkill. There are plenty of tiger-based football teams that have excellent looks without wearing Tigger suits

I've been driving that wagon for years. Exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah, that was a particularly unwise adjective to use.

Especially as an epithet.

He's not using it as an epithet. The Bengals weren't intending to make effeminate uniforms. They were likely trying to make the polar opposite. So if the numbers were effeminate, it would mean that the font is very wrong for this set, it's not just an insult.

I don't personally think the font is effeminate, but it is very bad.

Very bad in general, or very bad for football?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived