NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

I despise the stupid manufacturer logo being so big and above the team logo. Looks ridiculous.

It was Miami's decision to place the logo there though. The Swoosh location is the generic spot allowed by the NFL. The logo has been there since the 90's with Wilson, Logo Athletic, Starter, Puma, Adidas, Reebok, and Nike. Again, the Dolphins choose to place the logo there and it's size. As for the Swoosh size, it is the same size as the previous Reebok logo (2.25 square inches).

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's crazy to me that a football player could be so ignorant of his own uniform to see the same helmet he wore on the field last year and think it is something so cool and new that it's worth tweeting about.

I don't think getting caught in the hype surrounding Nike's NFL "takeover" is anywhere close to being ignorant. Tons of people, players, media, and etc are extremely excited about this change. Now of course the haters will hate and will always hate, but this is the reality of the world we live in. If uniforms weren't a big deal, this forum would be a ghost town.

I despise the stupid manufacturer logo being so big and above the team logo. Looks ridiculous.

It was Miami's decision to place the logo there though. The Swoosh location is the generic spot allowed by the NFL. The logo has been there since the 90's with Wilson, Logo Athletic, Starter, Puma, Adidas, Reebok, and Nike. Again, the Dolphins choose to place the logo there and it's size. As for the Swoosh size, it is the same size as the previous Reebok logo (2.25 square inches).

Your first two sentences contradict each other, and the second one doesn't make sense.

The placement of the logo is dictated in the contract that the NFL signs with the manufacturer. The Dolphins don't make any decision outside of whatever their involvement may have been with the contract negotiations, which I would assume is little if any. That, and I'm not sure what "generic spot" means. I believe that it's a pretty specifically defined spot, with allowances made in some cases for custom one-off tailoring jobs (i.e. you may see the swoosh next to the team logo or closer to it if the jersey is modified in such a way that it's specified placement isn't possible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's crazy to me that a football player could be so ignorant of his own uniform to see the same helmet he wore on the field last year and think it is something so cool and new that it's worth tweeting about.

I don't think getting caught in the hype surrounding Nike's NFL "takeover" is anywhere close to being ignorant. Tons of people, players, media, and etc are extremely excited about this change. Now of course the haters will hate and will always hate, but this is the reality of the world we live in. If uniforms weren't a big deal, this forum would be a ghost town.

I think you may have completely misinterpreted what I said.

What is surprising to me is that a player, TJ Heath specifically, could see the exact same helmet he wore all of last season and think that it is a brand new helmet (and one worth tweeting about because of how awesome it is). Heath's own equipment manager confirmed that he didn't see any new helmet and whatever he was tweeting about does not exist. I know some players are dumb, but that is a new level of dumb. How could you possibly think that the same helmet you wore last season is a new design? Did he just never take a close look at it and notice the teal flakes?

I said nothing at all about hype or whether one should be excited about new Nike uniforms. I am super excited about them and it's safe to say that everyone around here shares that opinion.

Are the helmets even made by different people? It's not part of the Nike deal, as Nike don't supply team helmets! Whatever way you look at it, it's a pretty stoopid tweet, even allowing for a more charitable explanation.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think you may have completely misinterpreted what I said.

What is surprising to me is that a player, TJ Heath specifically, could see the exact same helmet he wore all of last season and think that it is a brand new helmet (and one worth tweeting about because of how awesome it is). Heath's own equipment manager confirmed that he didn't see any new helmet and whatever he was tweeting about does not exist. I know some players are dumb, but that is a new level of dumb. How could you possibly think that the same helmet you wore last season is a new design? Did he just never take a close look at it and notice the teal flakes?

I said nothing at all about hype or whether one should be excited about new Nike uniforms. I am super excited about them and it's safe to say that everyone around here shares that opinion.

It was not confirmed that he saw the exact same helmet - only that the equip manager said that there is no new helmet for next year and he didn't know what the player was talking about. Unless the equip manager is handcuffed to the player 24/7, he has no idea what the tweet was about. The player could've seen a fan design, or gone on the web and seen someone's concept that he thought was legit, could've seen a custom one-off, or maybe did see a prototype or the 2013 helmet, and the equip manager is just covering his ass since they're probably not allowed to talk about it. You guys jump to conclusions way to quickly.

Are the helmets even made by different people? It's not part of the Nike deal, as Nike don't supply team helmets! Whatever way you look at it, it's a pretty stoopid tweet, even allowing for a more charitable explanation.

I'm simply quoting this for the irony contained within.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What would an NFL player, making hundreds of thousands of dollars, call people arguing over uniform minutiae? :)

Remember, 95% of the population - including probably 95% of NFL players - don't know/care about Nike/Riddell/Schutt/etc.

8596484610_3a38500074.jpg

"@JagsEquipment: RT @TDJaxTim: @JagsEquipment TJ Heath mentioned seeing the new helmets on twitter today, that's why we have questions.

TJ is seeing things."

My point is if go through his tweets and all of that is very coy about giving information about new stuff out and or studder steps to get around it. That still doesn't mean it's not there.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

What would an NFL player, making hundreds of thousands of dollars, call people arguing over uniform minutiae? :)

Remember, 95% of the population - including probably 95% of NFL players - don't know/care about Nike/Riddell/Schutt/etc.

What's your point?

The swoosh while iconic is so unbalanced. It looks awful in that placement, at least the Reebok shield had some type of balance. Too bad the NFL won't allow it on the chest, it seems to middle the sleeve design because it stinks out like a sore thumb - which I'm sure Nike doesn't mind one bit.

Your first two sentences contradict each other, and the second one doesn't make sense.

The placement of the logo is dictated in the contract that the NFL signs with the manufacturer. The Dolphins don't make any decision outside of whatever their involvement may have been with the contract negotiations, which I would assume is little if any. That, and I'm not sure what "generic spot" means. I believe that it's a pretty specifically defined spot, with allowances made in some cases for custom one-off tailoring jobs (i.e. you may see the swoosh next to the team logo or closer to it if the jersey is modified in such a way that it's specified placement isn't possible.

Nothing contradiction at all. It's the Dolphins decision to have the Dolphin logo on the sleeve instead of stripes or numbers. I called the Swoosh location as "generic" because that is the token location for the manufacture's logo on a NFL jersey since at least the mid 90's. Nike can't dictate where it goes or how big to make it. Both solely come down to the NFL.

No contradiction. He's referring to two different logos: the disk & the swoosh. Miami decided to put their logo, the team logo, on the sleeve in the first place. The NFL mandates the manufacturer's logo size & placement. Maybe generic was poor choice of words. General would be have been better.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I only saw one picture from the Brandon Marshall presser and he was wearing a suit in it. I wonder if they are forgoing the normal routine of handing free agents their jersey. If not, are they using unbranded Reebok stock?

When the Bucs introduced Eric Wright, Carl Nicks and Vincent Jackson, they were given Reebok jerseys.

1_120314_MM_Free_Agent_PC_0201--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

2IA3b.png

Nothing contradiction at all. It's the Dolphins decision to have the Dolphin logo on the sleeve instead of stripes or numbers. I called the Swoosh location as "generic" because that is the token location for the manufacture's logo on a NFL jersey since at least the mid 90's. Nike can't dictate where it goes or how big to make it. Both solely come down to the NFL.

Ah, I apologize. I thought you meant that it's the Dolphins decision to put the manufacturer logo there, not their own.

It's a shame that teams have to reconsider their designs and logo placements to account for the manufacturer's mark (which wasn't an issue until the sleeves shrunk) but I guess that's where we're at.

I don't have a problem with shrinking sleeves, but I don't like that elements that would otherwise fit perfectly fine there have to be compromised due to a non-team specific mark. I wish they would have negotiated to put it above the NOB, but I can clearly see why Nike would balk at that. I'm getting to the point where I don't think the chest is the worst idea ever. Maybe replace the equipment shield with one that contains a swoosh. I'd be fine with that I guess.

I only saw one picture from the Brandon Marshall presser and he was wearing a suit in it. I wonder if they are forgoing the normal routine of handing free agents their jersey. If not, are they using unbranded Reebok stock?

When the Bucs introduced Eric Wright, Carl Nicks and Vincent Jackson, they were given Reebok jerseys.

1_120314_MM_Free_Agent_PC_0201--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

It is only March, so they aren't allowed to hold up the Nike jersey. But that is interesting that they didn't go with the ProLine jerseys that the NFL started selling last month.

Ah, I apologize. I thought you meant that it's the Dolphins decision to put the manufacturer logo there, not their own.

It's a shame that teams have to reconsider their designs and logo placements to account for the manufacturer's mark (which wasn't an issue until the sleeves shrunk) but I guess that's where we're at.

I don't have a problem with shrinking sleeves, but I don't like that elements that would otherwise fit perfectly fine there have to be compromised due to a non-team specific mark. I wish they would have negotiated to put it above the NOB, but I can clearly see why Nike would balk at that. I'm getting to the point where I don't think the chest is the worst idea ever. Maybe replace the equipment shield with one that contains a swoosh. I'd be fine with that I guess.

I suppose I should've re-worded my original post. Sorry about that.

Archived