NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Does this flywire stuff do anything at all? It just seems like the snake oil of today. And are those mesh things on the stomach going to end up being those ridiculous dark splotches that some college teams?

1. Yes, it strengthens an area of the uniform that has a tendency to become damaged without adding significant amounts of weight via additional fabric.

2. Probably.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ONLY team who came out of today looking better are the Chiefs. That simple striping tweak on their sleeves means it's a bit less cluttered & more visually pleasing around there now.

I think the Bears improved today, too, and via the same move. By bumping the sleeve numbers up to the shoulders, it allows the sleeve stripes to widen out, and the "GSH" to become larger, perhaps to something closer to 1985 proportions. Over the past several years, the stripes and GSH kept getting squished down, with the bottom stripe moved down to the elastic sleeve cuff, and the league founder's initials often getting obscured.

Definitely agree with all of this. I've been hoping for a while that the Bears would move their numbers to the shoulder. It was ridiculous that the shoulders of the jersey were empty while they were pushing one of their stripes to the sleeve cuff. I didn't think the Chiefs had to make that same move, but it looks better now that they did. I always thought of their stripes as solely cuff striping, but their jerseys look better with the striping enlarged onto the sleeves.

I know they've done functionally the same thing, but somehow the Bears change just doesn't sit with me yet. I don't consider it a downgrade, and over time it's probably a good move, just something that'll take me time to get used to.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I'm gonna say this- aside from the bad contrasting collars, Nike have done well! I know not every uniform error has been fixed, but given uniform design rights are held by the NFL, that wasn't Nike's remit. I like the Seahawks unis as a good upgrade of one NFL team that desperately needed some changes, and as a decent modern look (although I am left in trepidation for what awaits the Jags next year, given they are billed as Nike's first really big uni change!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The ONLY team who came out of today looking better are the Chiefs. That simple striping tweak on their sleeves means it's a bit less cluttered & more visually pleasing around there now.

I think the Bears improved today, too, and via the same move. By bumping the sleeve numbers up to the shoulders, it allows the sleeve stripes to widen out, and the "GSH" to become larger, perhaps to something closer to 1985 proportions. Over the past several years, the stripes and GSH kept getting squished down, with the bottom stripe moved down to the elastic sleeve cuff, and the league founder's initials often getting obscured.

Definitely agree with all of this. I've been hoping for a while that the Bears would move their numbers to the shoulder. It was ridiculous that the shoulders of the jersey were empty while they were pushing one of their stripes to the sleeve cuff. I didn't think the Chiefs had to make that same move, but it looks better now that they did. I always thought of their stripes as solely cuff striping, but their jerseys look better with the striping enlarged onto the sleeves.

I know they've done functionally the same thing, but somehow the Bears change just doesn't sit with me yet. I don't consider it a downgrade, and over time it's probably a good move, just something that'll take me time to get used to.

Seeing Urlacher actually wearing the uni made me feel a lot better about the shoulder numbers, I actually like it a lot.

3cj7n.png

tumblr_kpyvo9Xi0L1qzddo2o1_400.jpg

I like how less crammed the uniform is now, the awesome stripes are now prominently displayed, as is the GSH insignia. Just look at the previous look: reebok logo, number, stripes, gsh, stripes. One of the stripes is even tucked away. This new look is far superior.

My only question is are QB/K/P still going to get uniforms with some kind of a sleeve, or is it mandatory to keep the form-fitting across the board?

It still weirds me out when I see college QB's look like this (obviously it's adidas, but you get the idea):

Dayne+Crist+Notre+Dame+v+Navy+dxWjAhM-1KHl.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

About shoes, from Uniwatch's team by team breakdown:

===

The mannequins at the unveiling were all wearing two-tone shoes in team colorways colors. At first I thought these were just for display. But Giants equipment manager Joe Skiba tells me that all players can now wear team-colored shoes, although they have the option of sticking with white or black. So the longstanding rule mandating predominantly black or white footwear has apparently been scrapped (I?m trying to get league confirmation on this). This is basically the same thing the NBA has done. Of course, many players have shoe contracts with companies other than Nike, so it?s it?s gonna be a real crazy quilt out there on the footwear front.

===

Interesting.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

In this photo you can photo you can clearly see Roethlisberger pretty much in the middle with some fairly hefty sleeves on

apkw1dmciaa9hsv.jpg

Image from UniWatch twitter account

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Ah yeah, those are some big ol' sleeves. Good to see.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

At least quality won't be an issue. :rolleyes:

10792274-standard.jpg

Lies, dude. These are Nike quality numbers made of high tenacity stretch material, for lightweight lockdown strength.

twitter

10792274-standard.jpg

Lies, dude. These are Nike quality numbers made of high tenacity stretch material, for lightweight lockdown strength.

A couple of times Nike have produced new rugby shirts for England and in the first game the numbers have come off. The issue doesn't seem to last though and after a game in the new style shirts, the numbers seem to become more resilient.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Does this flywire stuff do anything at all? It just seems like the snake oil of today.

1. Yes, it strengthens an area of the uniform that has a tendency to become damaged without adding significant amounts of weight via additional fabric.

That's true...when it is used on the shoulders like in first generation pro combat unis. It's new use (on the Speed Machine template in college and Elite 51 in the NFL) is to keep the shoulderpads from popping out of the collar, which was a problem on the first gen pro combats.

Does this flywire stuff do anything at all? It just seems like the snake oil of today. And are those mesh things on the stomach going to end up being those ridiculous dark splotches that some college teams?

2. Probably.

1. At least, that's the party line.

2. Oh, not probably... absolutely. Look for nasty belly blotches all over your NFL in 2112.

Redskins:

Really hope the gold pants are not dead. And if they aren't, they better have fixed the stripes.

Lukas is also saying that Orakpo hinted the confirmed 2012 alternate could be... black. :censored:. But damn it it'll probably look really cool.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

10792274-standard.jpg

The numbers started coming off at a press conference? Oh wow. This is going to be a fun ride.

At the very least the Chargers' navy jerseys should make the stomach sweat blotches less notable.

Saw on UniWatch today that the Chiefs aren't using the flywire collar. Anyone have any good pics of that area? It was pretty hard to tell with the pictures I've seen, but if that's the case, good for them.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Saw on UniWatch today that the Chiefs aren't using the flywire collar. Anyone have any good pics of that area? It was pretty hard to tell with the pictures I've seen, but if that's the case, good for them.

pretty good pic if you click "Cheifs" on Uniwatch

pretty good pic if you click "Cheifs" on Uniwatch

There is no link titled "Cheifs" but there is one titled "Chiefs".

spacer.png

Redskins:

Really hope the gold pants are not dead. And if they aren't, they better have fixed the stripes.

Lukas is also saying that Orakpo hinted the confirmed 2012 alternate could be... black. :censored:. But damn it it'll probably look really cool.

Don't apologize for something you like.

People are making excuses all over the place for enjoying aspects of design, and it is completely unnecessary. You won't get kicked off the boards for voicing your positive opinion.

8596484610_3a38500074.jpg

49ers white jersey

1d390e587dab11e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg

I always found it odd how there is no gold on any of the 49er's jerseys now. Looks out of place with the gold helmet and pants.

i dont mind there not being any gold. but i hate those stripes. running the stripes at an awkward angle off the sleeve is such a horrible idea i cant believe it made it on the field, let alone copied and exaggerated by Nike (sleeve area seems smaller than RBK). i see what they were going for, to make the stripes level, to make them look like the old 80's jersey. but it just dosent work. sleeve stripes really dont work on modern uniforms anyway, that was a nice graphic element years ago but the design is dead. the problem (jersey cut) has changed but the solutions havent, they're just ramming a square peg through a round hole. Steelers, Packers, Etc arnt perfect but its the best you can do with the modern jersey i think (actually what Oklahoma State did i think is the best. dont force a stripe, make it into a different shoulder graphic element). 49ers i give credit for trying something different, to try to make it better, but like i said, no way that should have ever made the field. if not for those awful stripes, they would probably be my favorite NFL uniform.

I'm guessing that Nike will move the stripes up similar to what the Bears jerseys look like when the 5 year period is over. I'm assuming Nike couldn't fix the sleeve stripes because of the 5 year rule.

Archived