NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

But seriously, we need to not call the Packers, Raiders, and Patriots heroes for standing up to Lord Nike. Those franchises are all out to make money just like any other company. Personally, I think that the Raiders not adopting a black Flywire shows stubbornness and the characteristics Al Davis was often lampooned for when he was alive.

It's stubbornness to want to preserve your aesthetic tradition and team brand by not bowing to the whims of Nike? Interesting.

Polyester to nylon mesh to dazzle whatever... things change.

At the end of the day, what interests me was the Packers players (the ones who actually wear the uniforms, not just dissect minutiae) liked the performance-based "whims" of Reebok's new pants when they wore the throwbacks.

8596484610_3a38500074.jpg

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I don't have to search through the thread, can someone tell me how close is an Elite 51 jersey to an actual game day uniform? Or will there be another option for an actual authentic jersey?

"Elite 51" is the game day uniform. The retail authentics are called just "Elite" and are as close as you'll come to the players' versions.

But seriously, we need to not call the Packers, Raiders, and Patriots heroes for standing up to Lord Nike. Those franchises are all out to make money just like any other company. Personally, I think that the Raiders not adopting a black Flywire shows stubbornness and the characteristics Al Davis was often lampooned for when he was alive.

It's stubbornness to want to preserve your aesthetic tradition and team brand by not bowing to the whims of Nike? Interesting.

Polyester to nylon mesh to dazzle whatever... things change.

Yes, things change. There's a difference between uniforms simply evolving and a company forcing a "trademark" onto uniforms changing them for the sake of change. Nike's flywire, at least as it's currently used, is the latter, not the former.

It's not evolution, it's just something Nike can force onto a uniform so when people see it they know it's Nike. There wasn't this football-wide need for something like flywire that Nike saw and created a solution for. I don't recall any player ever saying "man I wish we had inserts in our jersey collars to keep our pads from popping out." Even if such a need existed, the problem's very nature would only demand that the flywire be present on the inside of the collar. After all it's the inside that rubs up against the pads. The fact that the flywire is present on the outside as well simply proves the point that it primarily exists to promote the Nike brand. It's got nothing to do with uniform evolution.

It wasn't unreasonable for the teams that opted not to go with flywire collars to do so because they felt it either looked ugly or muddled their brand with an obvious Nike branding element.

At the end of the day, what interests me was the Packers players (the ones who actually wear the uniforms, not just dissect minutiae) liked the "whims" of Reebok's new pants when they wore the throwbacks.

Did Reebok's new pants hamper design or impose a corporate pattern onto pre-existing designs?

Again there's a fine line between evolution and change for branding's sake. Change is fine, if it provides a clear benefit over what came before. If it's just a new pattern with really good PR that's imposed as a branding tool then that's not uniform evolution. That's just branding. At the expense of the team.

Which is primarily my problem with Nike. When they designed the Seahawks uniforms they didn't ask "how can we design the best Seattle Seahawks uniform possible?" They asked "how can we use the Seattle Seahawks' desire for new uniforms as a means to further promote the Nike brand?" Of course a company is going to want to promote itself, and that's fine to an extent. That's why, despite a few grumblings, few people have a problem with manufacturer logos on uniforms. The problem that often pops up with Nike is that when they design a uniform they design it first and foremost to promote themselves, and the team second. Heck, the new Seahawks uniform includes an insert that exists just to highlight the Nike swoosh! It's a trend that I, as a fan of sports uniform and logo design, find troubling. Manufacturers should design for the team first and foremost. Nike doesn't get that.

I'm pretty sure the above teams have the flywire option if the player wants to wear it on game day since it is technically a performance based addition and not a fashion item (even though some players will wear it because it's "cool").

I'm pretty sure the above teams have the flywire option if the player wants to wear it on game day since it is technically a performance based addition and not a fashion item (even though some players will wear it because it's "cool").

Any performance based function it might have could be achieved by only being used on the inside of the collar. That's why I called it a fashion item and a branding tool. By using it on the outside of the collar it doesn't serve its purported purpose, and only serves as a branding tool for Nike.

Any performance based function it might have could be achieved by only being used on the inside of the collar. That's why I called it a fashion item and a branding tool. By using it on the outside of the collar it doesn't serve its purported purpose, and only serves as a branding tool for Nike.

Which I totally agree, but the performance aspect will be the excuse they (the players and Nike) will probably use to have the option available.

while it is being used as a trademark and visible technical feature I believe the reason it was added was that the collar area of the pro combat jerseys was so flimsy it was tearing frequently and needed reinforcement...then again there are ncaa teams with pro combat jerseys that didn't go with the speed machine collar.

I think the closest jersey equivalent was the old cowboys' tie down collar...had reebok opted to use something like that across the league during their contract would folks be up in arms?

one last thing is that reebok definitely tried to force current looks onto the tech fit template and failed miserably...the giants were the only team that adpoted it and it resulted in massively distorted stripes.

It is all about money.

The NFL, Nike, the Packers, the ads running on this website - no one is in it for 100% virtuous, altruistic reasons.

Lukasian hyperbole of corporate takeover is like complaining that butchering the cow makes a mess, and then saying "well I have to eat steak, so..."

8596484610_3a38500074.jpg

It is all about money.

The NFL, Nike, the Packers, the ads running on this website - no one is in it for 100% virtuous, altruistic reasons.

Lukasian hyperbole of corporate takeover is like complaining that butchering the cow makes a mess, and then saying "well I have to eat steak, so..."

I never said it wasn't, and I never denied the Packers, Raiders, etc... weren't out to make a buck. Of course they are. They just didn't sacrifice their brands to help Nike make a buck, which as a fan of sports aesthetics I'm in favour of.

Make as much money as you can, I don't care. Just don't ruin the uniforms doing it.

I'm not so sure about that since it completely changes the look, especially if you already have collar trim. And if that is the case, Nike probably would've had uniforms there that showed the look with flywire, rather than without.

I'm not so sure about that since it completely changes the look, especially if you already have collar trim. And if that is the case, Nike probably would've had uniforms there that showed the look with flywire, rather than without.

That was my understanding as well. If the team as a whole opts out of the flywire, I don't see them allowing players the option to wear the jerseys with it.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

But if you go to Nike's website and look at the Elite Jersey, the flywire is on the Chiefs jersey. I mentioned this on UniWatch today. I think all 32 teams (even the Packers and Patriots) will have the option of wearing the flywire and/or the cooling system jersey cut because both are performance based versus being a fashion statement. Use the previous NY Giants uniforms as an example. Some players wore a completely different uniform (stretch) and some wore the regular cut. I'm assuming this was based on performance preference and this will be the same way for this as well. It just doesn't make sense to see the flywire on the Elite Jersey if this wasn't the case. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out during the 2012 season.

Its cute that you keep insisting that.

But if you go to Nike's website and look at the Elite Jersey, the flywire is on the Chiefs jersey. I mentioned this on UniWatch today. I think all 32 teams (even the Packers and Patriots) will have the option of wearing the flywire and/or the cooling system jersey cut because both are performance based versus being a fashion statement. Use the previous NY Giants uniforms as an example. Some players wore a completely different uniform (stretch) and some wore the regular cut. I'm assuming this was based on performance preference and this will be the same way for this as well. It just doesn't make sense to see the flywire on the Elite Jersey if this wasn't the case. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out during the 2012 season.

Its cute that you keep insisting that.

I know, but isn't that Nike's claim for the purpose of the flywire?

Archived