2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Jets are going to make a QB change this offseason, but if Sanchez doesn't make progress this coming season, then he will be gone.

The games I've seen him in he looks very inconsistent. I think the talent level is there with him. He has the potential to still be a franchise QB. Seen him make too many good passes and lead too many late game drives to simply say he doesn't have it. Maybe that's why he's getting knocked the way he is by his teammates. I don't watch Jet practices so I have no idea what Sanchez may or may not be doing but for guys that show flashes of talent and you wonder why they don't put it together more often, lack of hard work usually is the case.

Players also hardly ever call out other guys in the media by name, so if he is being criticized like that, more then one guy thinks its an issue.

What in the world is Jacksonville thinking? To borrow a phrase, the Falcons couldn't do diddly poo offensively despite trading all those picks for Julio Jones and having a (supposedly) franchise QB, an outstanding TE, another premium (if often butterfingered) WR, and a workhorse running back. Then in the playoffs they're outscored by their own defense and this guy lands a head coaching gig a few days later? Unbelieveable.

7th in points, 10th in total yards, 8th in passing yards hardly seems like diddly poo, especially from the point of view of an OC with head coaching experience.

But when it counted, against quality teams, and in their playoff games over the last several seasons, they've failed miserably.

True enough, but there aren't a ton of quality coordinators around at the moment, for whatever reason, and the Jaguars don't have much to lure a retired proven coach like Gruden or Billick or Cowher out of the TV studio. So you aren't goin g to find a perfect hire right now. My guess is that a lot of Head Coaching appointments this cycle are going to be a bit underwhelming.

Fair points. Not like anyone of note would be beating down their door.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Looks like Jeff Fisher is going to the Rams

I can't believe he's going to take the Rams job before interviewing with the Raiders!

Either way he will be in L.A. in a few few years :P

The NFL in LA? That's a bunch of Mularkey!

;)

6uXNWAo.png

I think he'll do well.

They struck me as a team this year that got beat by bad luck as much as anything else. They had a brutal schedule to start the year and then the injuries starting piling up.

Not saying this was a great football team either, but the roster they have doesn't strike me as a 2-14 team. Had they not been so beaten down to start the year I think they would have managed at least another couple of wins.

Fisher's about the only proven guy around who was ever going back to the sidelines (Schottenheimer, apparently, excepted), so the Rams have a decent little coup there. Not that St Louis isn't a decent place, but is this a sign that the Rams are somewhere near the front of the queue for LA? (As if we didn't know that already!)

Also would Fisher be the first guy to coach two teams whilst they relocate? (Oilers/Titans and Rams)? Not much of a stat, but a little bit interesting.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think he'll do well.

They struck me as a team this year that got beat by bad luck as much as anything else. They had a brutal schedule to start the year and then the injuries starting piling up.

Not saying this was a great football team either, but the roster they have doesn't strike me as a 2-14 team. Had they not been so beaten down to start the year I think they would have managed at least another couple of wins.

Injuries and bad luck are excuses that ignore the very real and many personnel flaws that afflicted the 2011 Rams going into the season. 2010 was the aberration, not this season.

---------------------------

*Does happy dance for Fisher hire*

ChizuruMokyu2.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://www.kansascit...rnover-off.html

creepy article about the paranoid kc organization.

Wow talk about a really depressing atmosphere to work in.

My experience with any of those companies has been that kind of monitoring on employees has nothing to do with making the company better. Its just there so upper management can cover they're own asses and fire anybody with a dissenting opinion on what should be done. In the end all it does is change the goal of employees from getting their job done to simply avoid being fired. When that happens employees stop going above and beyond what they're required to do. Creativity is limited to however creative upper management is, which is usually not creative at all because all they're looking for is to be told they're right. So what you wind up with is a company of unproductive yes men/women after a few years.

During his first year, Pioli noticed a candy wrapper in a back stairwell and waited to see how long it took to be picked up. About a week passed, and it remained in the stairwell. He placed the wrapper in an envelope, and during a meeting of department heads, Donovan, then the team's chief operating officer, brandished the wrapper as evidence of the attention to detail that Chiefs employees had grown to ignore.

"A great coaching moment," Donovan said.

More like a great douchebag moment. Apparently janitorial excellence is football excellence. Bunch of meathead jocks dressing up as businessmen.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

During his first year, Pioli noticed a candy wrapper in a back stairwell and waited to see how long it took to be picked up. About a week passed, and it remained in the stairwell. He placed the wrapper in an envelope, and during a meeting of department heads, Donovan, then the team's chief operating officer, brandished the wrapper as evidence of the attention to detail that Chiefs employees had grown to ignore.

"A great coaching moment," Donovan said.

More like a great douchebag moment. Apparently janitorial excellence is football excellence. Bunch of meathead jocks dressing up as businessmen.

I can't say that because I've met plenty of businessmen who would put Deion Sanders to shame in terms of how big their egos are.

He just strikes me as your classic type A personality type that works his ass off, but can't take criticism and has no sense on how to prioritize. His only two priorities are probably making sure people are listening to him and working. Guys like that make for great employees but as high level bosses they suck. Classic example of the Peter Principle from what I can tell.

Somehow I suspect the "Patriot Way" is not too different. Welcome to Stalag Foxboro.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Per Jay Glazer, the Falcons have hired Mike Nolan as their DC. I would've been fine with either Spagnuolo or Nolan, but Nolan brings more experience to the table so I guess I'm slightly happier with Nolan.

Now with Koetter as the OC (who I'm not gonna judge based on his Jacksonville days due to the fact that even Bill Walsh couldn't make do with that offense in Jacksonville last season), I feel much better about the coaching personnel from a gameplanning & tactical standpoint. However, this puts the onus squarely on Mike Smith. If he can't make a gourmet meal by next season, w/ the groceries that he currently has in stock & just purchased, then it might be time to find a new chef.

That's the problem for teams canning coaches in a clump like this year and 3 years ago. There are only so many good coaches around and GMs and owners have tough choices about hiring quickly or taking time and risking a good guy finding another team. For what it's worth I think there are at least 2 or 3 of the class of 09 that will likely get another shot.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived