CFB Playoffs?

Funky Bunky

I'd rather see no changes. Maintaining the current conference matchups in bowls like the Sugar and Rose are more important to me than crowning a national champion.

I didn't know Virginia Tech had joined the SEC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd suggest, if we don't want to go with a full-blown playoff, go with a setup like this:

Add a fifth BCS Bowl, and I'll go with the Cotton Bowl. Cotton Bowl would have two at-large spots. The Big East would lose their at-large berth, but up to two non-AQ conference champs in the top 16 would get auto spots (by ranking order), although all non-AQ conference champs in the top 12 must be selected.

Keep the traditional ties, with the Cotton Bowl getting the first and last at-large picks in all years. So we'd have matchups of:

Rose: #5 Oregon v #10 Wisconsin

Fiesta: #3 Oklahoma St v #12 Michigan

Orange: #15 Clemson v #8 Kansas St

Sugar: #1 LSU v #4 Stanford

Cotton: #2 Alabama v #11 Virginia Tech

After these games, the two best winners would play in the national title game, the week after.

LvZYtbZ.png

My ideal FBS/Division 1A Playoffs (I already know some people won't like this)

• 11 conference champions & 5 at large teams using the basic tournament/bracket fomula where if all the higher seeded teams won, the championship would feature the top two seeds (First round matchups 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc.)
  • The only neutral site game would be the championship. The BCS Bowls would have to settle for the best available teams not in the playoffs. All bowl games would pretty much become the football equivalent to the NIT.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Simple answer here...

A 12 team playoff (11 conference champions plus the best Independent program. Should said program miss the criteria of at least 8 wins, the second best team from the number 1 ranked conference (AKA the At-Large) gets the slot. If the at-large gets a bid, they cannot be seeded 1-4.)

-Seedings are decided by an RPI system that is used to determine conference strength. The RPI does it's first poll on the first weekend of October and lasts until Championship Saturday.

-On Selection Sunday, the matchups will be announced. The first two rounds are on home fields with one game on Friday and the other three on Saturday (possibly as a triple header on ESPN, you know) The 2nd round remains that way.

-The BCS bowls will remain as the hosts for the Semifinals, 3rd Place Game and National Championship Game. Under this year's planned format, New Orleans (Sugar Bowl) is the home for the National Championship Game while Pasadena (Rose Bowl) and Miami (Orange Bowl) hosts the semis. Phoenix (Fiesta Bowl) will have the third place game because they hosted the NCG last year.

As for teams who miss out... there will still be some bowl games left. The exception is that a team must finish at least 7-5 to be eligible to play in a bowl game. Also, bowl games cannot be played on days when the playoffs are going on.

Again, if you don't win your conference, you don't deserve to be in the tournament. If independents want to be invited, they should join a conference like anyone else.

I don't think the NCAA will care much about that. It happens in basketball quite a bit, so what will make them want to stop non-conference champion teams from competing for the NC in football?

I'd suggest, if we don't want to go with a full-blown playoff, go with a setup like this:

Add a fifth BCS Bowl, and I'll go with the Cotton Bowl. Cotton Bowl would have two at-large spots. The Big East would lose their at-large berth, but up to two non-AQ conference champs in the top 16 would get auto spots (by ranking order), although all non-AQ conference champs in the top 12 must be selected.

Keep the traditional ties, with the Cotton Bowl getting the first and last at-large picks in all years. So we'd have matchups of:

After these games, the two best winners would play in the national title game, the week after.

I really like your idea up until the part where you have the two best winners playing the National Championship. It wouldn't be much different from today's system, but with an added game.

I would do what you did, but have 3 large bids (top two in Cotton, 3rd would take #1's bid) and #1 would get a bye into the next round.

I really like your idea up until the part where you have the two best winners playing the National Championship. It wouldn't be much different from today's system, but with an added game.

I would do what you did, but have 3 large bids (top two in Cotton, 3rd would take #1's bid) and #1 would get a bye into the next round.

I think the best we're going to get is a plus one. On the one hand, we could see a seeded one, 1 v 4, 2 v 3, but I'd rather see the traditions of the bowls stay in that setup. Besides, with top two winners going, invariably, you're going to have six teams who can still win it all going into the bowls, so long as the tie-ins work out well enough.

LvZYtbZ.png

Here is the one an only (and, with all due respect to Billy B, the original) playoff plan that has the most realistic shot of ever happening. It addresses every concern of the anti-playoff crowd. (Full disclosure, I'm part of that anti-playoff crowd. I don't feel that college sports "owe" us a National Champion.)

Using the current BCS rankings system.

8 teams.

A.) 6 highest ranked conference champions and two at-large. Conference champs must be ranked in the top 16 in the BCS to qualify. If there are less than 6 conference champs, we add at-large teams to fill the spots. If there are more than 6 conference champs in the top 16, we eliminate the at-large spots accordingly. At large bids go to the highest ranked non conference champions. No more than two schools can come from the same conference. This stresses the importance of the regular season. (Although I'm sure some people will see it as "anti-SEC bias.")

B.) The BCS bowls will be used as the first round playoff sites. When possible, the traditional Bowl tie-ins will remain in place. Keeping the traditional tie-ins keeps the Rose Bowl and the traditionalists happy. It also eliminates all the arguing seeding would bring.

C.) The semi-final sites can either chosen via a rotation system similar to the one the NCG uses or, cities can bid on the semi-finals and NCG sites similar to how the Super Bowl sites are chosen.

This is how it would have looked this season.

Rose Bowl: Wisconsin - Oregon

Sugar Bowl: LSU - Stanford

Orange Bowl: Clemson - Alabama

Fiesta: Oklahoma State - Boise State*

*Boise State gets in over Arkansas by virtue of the two team maximum per conference rule.

BB52Big.jpg

Any tournament that includes every conference champion just shouldn't happen. First, it already puts you at a 12-team playoff which is probably too much. But do you really want to see a team like Arkansas State playing against Alabama in such a small playoff? Even 12th ranked team in the country would be pretty big underdogs against them. And Alabama wouldn't even qualify for a playoff if that The Sun Belt Conference champ stands no shot. It works in college basketball because the field is so big, but there's no need for mid-majors in a possible football tournament.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Any tournament that includes every conference champion just shouldn't happen. First, it already puts you at a 12-team playoff which is probably too much. But do you really want to see a team like Arkansas State playing against Alabama in such a small playoff? Even 12th ranked team in the country would be pretty big underdogs against them. And Alabama wouldn't even qualify for a playoff if that The Sun Belt Conference champ stands no shot. It works in college basketball because the field is so big, but there's no need for mid-majors in a possible football tournament.

That's the beauty of our playoff, a mid-major has every opportunity to get in. For example, under our plan, I believe if Houston doesn't lose their last game, both the Cougars and Boise State are in. So it's not so much about "no need" for mid-majors as it is about making sure any mid-major that gets in deserves to be there.

BB52Big.jpg

It works in college basketball because the field is so big, but there's no need for mid-majors in a possible football tournament.

Since 2004 we've seen that mid major teams can in fact hang with (and even beat) the big boys in both bowl games and regular season. Are you saying those Boise, TCU, and Utah (pre Pac 12) BCS buster teams wouldn't have been legit contenders in a playoff scenario?

If I was put in charge of college football I would eliminate conference championship games and make it so that no team could play more then 11 games during a regular season except for Hawaii and any team playing Hawaii on the road. They be would allowed to have one extra home game a year as I believe is the rule now. Teams would also be limited to 8 conference games a year and must play a team from every conference in football at least once every five years. Tired of seeing these powerhouse school trying to push each other out of the way to play Louisiana Monroe while also putting a 1-AA school on the schedule. That's 10 conferences every team would have to play with at least 15 games to do it. They'll manage.

As for the playoffs. 16 team bracket single elimination. Each conference gets at least one representative so every team at least in theory has a chance to win the National Championship at season's start. The rest would be determined by at large bids.

None of that is likely to ever happen but that is what I would do if I were made dictator of division 1 college football.

Cut the 2 worst bowls from bowl season and keep the BCS games the same as is. The difference would be a 4 team playoff, atleast 4 at first and then move to 8 if the situation works out. If my plan would be in effect this season the BCS and 4 team playoff picture would have looked like this(Cotton Bowl included because it may soon become BCS bowl, so hey why not? lol):

1 LSU vs 4 Stanford

2 Alabama vs 3 Oklahoma St.

Rose Bowl - Oregon vs Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl - Virginia Tech vs South Carolina

Orange Bowl - Michigan vs West Virginia

Fiesta Bowl - Arkansas vs Clemson

*Cotton Bowl* - Oklahoma/Kansas St. vs Boise St./Baylor....Considering Oklahoma beat K-State, I would think it would be the Sooners and Broncos. They could always pick Baylor because the game is in Texas and RG3 was hot all year. But in the end I think they would be intrigued by a rematch of that memorable Fiesta Bowl some years back.

I think I got the BCS bowls right in my scenario with how the bowls would of probably pick the teams. With Stanford and Oklahoma St. in playoffs, 2 more teams get into BCS bowls and with the Cotton Bowl a total of 4 teams are added to the BCS bowls.

I like this suggestion. Maybe if you only cut one of the small bowls, so then a few more bowl eligible teams get a bowl.

But here's my suggestion. It is really, REALLY out there. But a man can dream, right?

bcsplayoffsmaller.png

This is based loosely off another member's (was it RedSox44's?) suggestion. 16 team playoff: 11 AQ, 5 at large. The first 8 games are what were the 8 best non-BCS bowls, then the Elite Eight round is the former BCS bowls minus the NCG. Then, you have the Allstate National Semifinals and Allstate National Championship. That would be played in a neutral site (this year, New Orleans). Of course, that was the other member's idea.

The other bowls would remain for the other bowl eligible teams. The bowls would stay the same through the years; the Cotton Bowl would always be for the 8-9 matchup, etc. I kept the playoffs as commercialized as possible so the greedy people still get there money, but we can have our fun. <_<

Ya like?

25yzwqg.png

Any plan that doesn't preserve the Big Ten/Pac-12 matchup in the Rose Bowl is gonna catch hell.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

But do you really want to see a team like Arkansas State playing against Alabama in such a small playoff?

Yes, because we'd finally have a relatively fair, non-exclusionary system... and also because you never know, Arkansas State could pull off the upset.

It works in college basketball because the field is so big, but there's no need for mid-majors in a possible football tournament.

And why is that, exactly? When will people finally accept the fact that mid-majors can compete with the "big boys" in football just like they do in basketball?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I can clearly see that I'm the only one here that dislikes the idea of a playoff/bowl hybrid. That's okay, I'm gonna stick to my guns lol. The only neutral site game in a football playoff tournament should be the final championship game IMHO. I know some people would not want to stray too far from the bowl system we've grown used to, but if you're going to have playoffs do it right. The atmosphere at a home playoff game at any level is electric. I would love for Division 1A/FBS to have the same atmosphere.

Wait. Who would be in charge of this proposed Division 1A playoff? The NCAA or the BCS? If this actually happened in real life, I could see the NCAA having a traditional playoff. While the BCS would more than likely go with a playoff/bowl hybrid.

I can clearly see that I'm the only one here that dislikes the idea of a playoff/bowl hybrid. That's okay, I'm gonna stick to my guns lol.

I take an all-or-nothing approach myself - either have playoffs and ditch the bowls completely (or at least relegate them to NIT status), or restore all the traditional bowl matchups and go back to letting the polls decide the putative national champion. It should be clear to all by now that trying to shoehorn any sort of national championship competition into the traditional bowl format just isn't going to work.

CCSLC signature.png

I can clearly see that I'm the only one here that dislikes the idea of a playoff/bowl hybrid. That's okay, I'm gonna stick to my guns lol. The only neutral site game in a football playoff tournament should be the final championship game IMHO. I know some people would not want to stray too far from the bowl system we've grown used to, but if you're going to have playoffs do it right. The atmosphere at a home playoff game at any level is electric. I would love for Division 1A/FBS to have the same atmosphere.

Wait. Who would be in charge of this proposed Division 1A playoff? The NCAA or the BCS? If this actually happened in real life, I could see the NCAA having a traditional playoff. While the BCS would more than likely go with a playoff/bowl hybrid.

I think they should just get rid of the bowl games period. All of them. It should have been done 40 years ago honestly.

If you had just done it then I think people would have gotten over it by now but the fact that they refused to address it then means that now the games have gotten that much more financial power, that much more history and that much more staying power. The only reason people are even suggesting the bowl/playoff hybrid system is because of that. From a logistics perspective they serve no purpose.

I can clearly see that I'm the only one here that dislikes the idea of a playoff/bowl hybrid. That's okay, I'm gonna stick to my guns lol.

I take an all-or-nothing approach myself - either have playoffs and ditch the bowls completely (or at least relegate them to NIT status), or restore all the traditional bowl matchups and go back to letting the polls decide the putative national champion. It should be clear to all by now that trying to shoehorn any sort of national championship competition into the traditional bowl format just isn't going to work.

I see we think alike. I suggested making all the bowl games NIT status. I hate the BCS but atleast it does decide a champion on the field. Even as a young kid I thought the old system of naming a national champion was BS.

Archived