College Hockey Concepts

MDGP

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Hockey East Finals coming up, it's time for me to present my second to last team, the Boston University Terriers. BU wear two different sets of uniforms. The primaries are similar to the Boston Bruins cut (if the full yokes were removed) while the Alternates are Detroit Red Wings-esque. For my concept, I wanted to keep a similarly classic look, and created a design that somewhat combined both uniforms while also being fundamentally different from each in the process. The arched Boston and number remain, while the sleeves are a contrasting color with a smaller stripe of the same color located higher on the sleeve. Both the hem stripes and sock stripes feature this stripe pattern. Finally, I added the BU logo as shoulder logos.

BostonUniversityTerriers_zps2d674acf.png

C+C please, Maine will be up thursday!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Tomorrow is the semifinal round for the Hockey East Tournament, and since I have to catch a plane early tomorrow to get back to Boston on time for the games, I'm going to present my final team, The Maine Black Bears.

I love everything about Maine hockey... The team; the two national championships; heck, the Detroit Red Wings are my second favorite team because of Jimmy Howard and Gustav Nyquist. This love also extends to the uniforms. Maine's look is almost perfect, with the iconic use of double blue, the beautiful crest, and the classic striping. There is really only one thing I think could be improved on with Maine's uniforms, the shoulder yokes. I don't think they look bad, but I think the uniforms would be perfect with shoulder yokes that matched the stripe style on the rest of the uniforms. So, that's exactly what I did for my redesign of the Black Bears. Otherwise, the uniforms are exactly the same (actually, I made the collars a solid color too.)

MaineBlackBears_zps5008bd21.png

Bring the C+C

Also, I'm now willing to take any requests for teams that have not already been previously requested.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

This is a great update for UMaine. I especially like you stuck with the old-school white helmets for the white jerseys. I'd like to see something incorporating the bear head logo in an alternate again. I own the away and the old third jerseys (bought one the night they debuted) and I wish they still used them, although I didn't care for the number font they chose at the time. I'll be at the tournament all weekend. Hopefully they'll make the final.

Go Blue!

mainescarf.png

• 10 months later...

After viewing Bmac's awesome new college hockey concept series (definitely check it out), I remembered that I had never finished the series and that now would be a good time to bring it back, being midway through the season and all. Today I've got three updates of previous uniforms.

First up, the Providence Friars. This one is pretty minor as I just removed the Bettman stripes and the shoulder logo, giving more focus to the sleeve design itself. Being such a minor change, I didn't bother updating the player names.

ProvidenceFriars_zpscdf64a02.png

Up second are the Northeastern Huskies. This concept is a revamp of the previous design. I split all the red and white/black stripes and added them to the sleeves as well as the torso. The addition of the Paw to the front uniform was a reaction to losing the logo on the shoulders. I personally love the logo and wanted to incorporate it, so I placed it on the road uniform (it looked stronger there than on the white) and retained the N on the road uniform. The third, and probably most notable change was in the numbers. I liked the look of them in the original, but decided to go with normal numbers for visibility purposes. The numbers match the front stripes while the names match the back ones. The new player is the Huskies' apparently terrible (according to my friend at NU) captain Vinny Saponari.

NortheasternHuskies-1_zps94a4f5bf.png

The third update is a major color overhaul of UNH. I really felt like I drastically downgraded the Wildcats' look, and came up with one that better suits the team without sacrificing the silver completely. First, the home uniform is white now, the more I looked at it, the more the silver felt gimmicky and unprofessional. Second, I changed the striping to be tighter and feature less silver (on the roads I changed from a predominantly silver stripe pattern to a predominantly white pattern). The crest no longer features the horrible clunky outline thing (no idea what I was thinking on that one) and is replaced by a silver outline. The numbers received the same treatment as the crest. The new players for UNH are Captain Connor Hardowa and Assistant Captain Brett Kostolansky.

UNHWildcats_zpsacbd140d.png

I'd also like to note that the Hockey East logo has been added as a patch to each teams uniforms (I added the updated look to all the previously completed teams without an update).

Next up I will likely be tackling the soon to be Big Ten conference, consisting of Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, and my Penn State Nittany Lions. All of these teams have pretty solid looks so I'm expecting a challenge. I also plan to work on some of the suggestions made by several of you earlier.

• 1 year later...

It's been a year, which means I have to revive my old college hockey thread to add at least one more concept, because that's what I do.

During the past season, I basically lived at the Pegula Ice Arena, and became pretty well versed in Penn State's hockey history. As many of you know, Penn State just completed its second season as a D1 program. Recently, in a conversation, I learned that the team did not want to do a throwback uniform due to the fact that the design would have to be based upon the club team (despite the extremely rich history the team had).

However, I came to learn that Penn State once had a varsity team way back in the 1940's that lasted three seasons. Basically, I wanted to give Penn State a throwback design that would harken back to uniforms they wore back then.

Unfortunately, I can only find a single picture online (there are much larger and clearer images at Pegula Ice Arena that I'm recreating from memory).

PSU-GU.png

As you can see here, the uniform is white with navy blue shoulder stripes. The crest is a simple block P and S stacked diagonally. The other main features of the uniform are the striped socks.

The uniform features some elements that the uniforms at the time did not feature: The helmet stripe (which they currently use), shoulder numbers, B1G logo, Nike logo (which is on the chest on their actual uniforms).

Without further ado, I present the Penn State Hockey 1940's throwback uniform, featuring newly named captain, Patrick Koudys.

ScreenShot2014-06-11at120048AM_zpsd84a1e

Koudys is captain? Didn't hear about that one... Anyway I was working on a concept like that one, a while ago, but when I was at Pegula I was able to find one picture so I know exactly what you mean by there being little pictures online.

PSU-1940s.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality, I didn't have much time to take it and it was on my Ipod instead of my newer Iphone, so that plays into it too)

As for the concept itself I would love to see it on ice and it would look nice, especially beating Michigan :D

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Koudys is captain? Didn't hear about that one... Anyway I was working on a concept like that one, a while ago, but when I was at Pegula I was able to find one picture so I know exactly what you mean by there being little pictures online.

PSU-1940s.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality, I didn't have much time to take it and it was on my Ipod instead of my newer Iphone, so that plays into it too)

As for the concept itself I would love to see it on ice and it would look nice, especially beating Michigan :D

Yep, Koudys was named captain yesterday despite the fact that Olcyzk is still on the roster.

And that is the exact picture I was talking about. I think they might have added some pictures because I was there the other day, and the virtual museum at the stadium had a full team picture.

Archived