New DC Comics & DC Entertainment Logos

BrySmalls

Absolutely putrid logo - for any company. Sure, the peel-away D is an interesting concept, but this is absolutely terrible, especially for a comic book publisher. It's bland, emotionless, and relies entirely on gradients to convey it's message. Take away the gradients, and you take away any semblance of what the hell is going on.

But, the gradients are there, and they're not going to take them away. Thus, you will always have a semplance of what's going on. So what if it relies on gradients? Reproduction of gradients is hardly the issue it was in years past, especially with most logo usage these days being digital.

I'm of the mindset that gradients should complement a design, not make the design. Yes, I realize we have the technology, but I still don't like it. Maybe I just have an irrational hatred of gradients.

And for the record, I hated the previous logo as well.

spacer.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so what's the "official" logo color? Marvel's logo is red, but what about this one? And does it even have an official version? You know that something's wrong with a design when you constantly have to change things up everytime it's on a different image. Another thing I don't like about the new logo is that it steps completely away from the great logos they've been using for 30+ years. The new logo needs a star. Maybe I just need time to get used to the new one. Anyway with that said, I still think they should go back to the old one.

Seeing the different applications-- that's a pretty solid logo. I like versatility, a logo that can be recolored to fit any application and still be recognizable is a great mark, IMO. I like that it can be used simply by itself, or with "characters". Some of those are pretty sharp. Not a big comic person, but I definitely can see where they're going with this. Don't they wrap comics in plastic usually? To add one more to Andy's list, I'd say it reminds me of unwrapping the book as well.

A little off topic here, but I just finished Batman #5 and it was one of the best comics I've ever read. Anyone looking to get into comic books, Scott Snyder's Batman would be a perfect start :notworthy:

I just finished up Batman #5 the other night too. I always liked Batman but I have never really been into reading comics, only reading novels here and there. I decided to follow Batman when they renumbered and introduced the New 52 and I love everything about it so far, from the characters to the interactions to the plot and history, its fantastic! The Talon and the Court of the Owls have been a really cool villains so far.

As for the Logo, I don't like it at all. At first glance, if you didn't know what the logo represents, the "D" isn't even distinguishable. A definite downgrade from the previous logo.

A little off topic here, but I just finished Batman #5 and it was one of the best comics I've ever read. Anyone looking to get into comic books, Scott Snyder's Batman would be a perfect start :notworthy:

I just finished up Batman #5 the other night too. I always liked Batman but I have never really been into reading comics, only reading novels here and there. I decided to follow Batman when they renumbered and introduced the New 52 and I love everything about it so far, from the characters to the interactions to the plot and history, its fantastic! The Talon and the Court of the Owls have been a really cool villains so far.

As for the Logo, I don't like it at all. At first glance, if you didn't know what the logo represents, the "D" isn't even distinguishable. A definite downgrade from the previous logo.

I've never been a fan of Batman either, but have been purchasing the new series. Batman #5 is the kind of story that can only really be told in comics. It was really awesome and worth $3 for anybody mildly curious about the character.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've never been a fan of Batman either, but have been purchasing the new series. Batman #5 is the kind of story that can only really be told in comics. It was really awesome and worth $3 for anybody mildly curious about the character.

I agree with you there, a story like the arch going on right now is really only fit for the Comics...there is just so much going on in terms of the fictional history and how many characters are involved right now. Plus the first crime scene might be a bit too graphic for a PG-13 flick.

I can't wait for next month when #6 comes out!

All things being equal I would have preferred it if they just stuck with the 1977-2005 "bullet" logo. That's easily their most iconic mark.

That being said, I don't mind the new logo now that I've seen it beyond low-res black and white pics. I think it works, and it'll help set the DC brand apart from the Marvel brand. It's better then the 2005-2012 logo, which just seemed like it was over-designed and trying to hard.

It looks better on the books than in the black and white from the original post.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

DC! Noooooooooooo! How could you?

EDIT: Now that I look at it, it has the potential to be a strong mark for some corporation, just not a comic book/entertainment company, just like Mings said.

EDIT 2: Now that I see the full marketing spread with all the separate design elements for each of their franchise, and upon seeing it in use, I'm upgrading this from "horrible downgrade" to just "solid upgrade". The peel-d is clever, because it's like turning a page, or unmasking a hero. It's (like Gothamite said) clean, clear and bold.

My initial reaction was so wrong on this. I actually really like it now.

spacer.png

After some time to let the new logo settle in, I think it's not that bad.

It's just that there was nothing wrong with the old one. Very radical changes just aren't always going to be well liked by a lot of people. This is just another example of that.

Archived