2013 Winter Classic

buckeyes

So it looks like the next winter classic will be Wings vs Leafs in Detroit. Guesses for uniforms?

Not many choices for Detroit, I feel like this will be the look: Wings

As for the Leafs: Leafs

It's tough to say who will wear what color since both throwbacks include a lot of White/Primary Color but we will see. What's everybody thinking?

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cougars2.png

MapleLeafs01.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1942 Stanley Cup Finals rematch, anyone? (editor's note: Detroit led the series 3-0, only to lose 4-3 and Stanley to Toronto)

MapleLeafs11.png

RedWings05.png

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

i think the Leafs will go with something from the Arenas, St Pats and the early history of the Leafs jerseys.

the Wings i think will use the same jersey from the 2009 Winter Classic.

That's not how the NHL operates. Anything they can do to make a buck, they will. Detroit will have a different uni than their last Winter Classic appearance.

What Nash posted is my guess as well.

0% chance it goes to a Canadian city. NBC won't show a Canadian team on their "game of the week", so there is even smaller chance they would show one on their biggest hockey broadcast of the year...

>>>

Sad but true ....

Playing it at Ann Arbor for the Red Wings would be a mistake .... it's way too big and football stadiums have too many lousy seats too far away from the rink. At least at baseball stadiums there's more good seats that are closer to the rink than football stadiums offer. If the Red Wings get it Comerica Park would probably be a better venue IMO.

I'd rather see a team host it that hasn't been involved yet. Penguins and Flyers have been on twice, home and away, and Detroit was already on just 3 years ago.

Would rather see it go to a team that has yet to appear, like Colorado, Minnesota, or St. Louis who all have fairly new baseball stadiums that can be used as the venues. If the Islanders were somewhat relevant they could be considered too, venue would be Citi Field. They're so bad tho' it would be a ratings disaster.

I was thinking about this, and came up with a couple of possibilities for Detroit:

- 75th Anniversary throwback, with winged wheel shoulder patches added.

- 75th Anniversary throwback, with colors reversed.

- Current white jersey template, with colors reversed and vintage crest (and possibly vintage white subbed in, but God let's hope not.)

I also wouldn't mind seeing them bring back their one-season-only numeral font from '82:

RedWings19.png

For the Leafs, anything 1927-1966 is fair game. Unfortunately, they'll probably get the vintage white treatment, since they dodged it on their current throwback third. I'd say get wild, crazy, and obscure, and give this one a go:

MapleLeafs04.png

Narrow the space between the hem stripes so you've got room for a name on back, and add similarly-styled numbers on the sleeves, centered on the second set of sleeve stripes.

Add me to those really hoping for a red-on-blue game. You can't not do it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Would rather see it go to a team that has yet to appear, like Colorado

No. Unless you like Winter Classics in locations where it might be 65 degrees outside and players are skating in huge puddles.

And yes, it was 65 degrees here in Denver on Jan 2 this year. It's not uncommon in these parts.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

0% chance it goes to a Canadian city. NBC won't show a Canadian team on their "game of the week", so there is even smaller chance they would show one on their biggest hockey broadcast of the year...

>>>

Sad but true ....

Playing it at Ann Arbor for the Red Wings would be a mistake .... it's way too big and football stadiums have too many lousy seats too far away from the rink. At least at baseball stadiums there's more good seats that are closer to the rink than football stadiums offer. If the Red Wings get it Comerica Park would probably be a better venue IMO.

I'd rather see a team host it that hasn't been involved yet. Penguins and Flyers have been on twice, home and away, and Detroit was already on just 3 years ago.

Would rather see it go to a team that has yet to appear, like Colorado, Minnesota, or St. Louis who all have fairly new baseball stadiums that can be used as the venues. If the Islanders were somewhat relevant they could be considered too, venue would be Citi Field. They're so bad tho' it would be a ratings disaster.

I guarantee you there are more seats with a good view at the Big House than Comerica Park. Baseball stadiums are a terrible fit for the Winter Classic in every way except that there's no baseball going on at the time to schedule around.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Something like a red version of the 1926 Detroit Cougars design with an old-style Winged Wheel in place of the Cougar:

Cougars3.png

vs.

A set based on the 1925 Toronto St. Pats, except green changes to blue and "St. Pats" changes to "Leafs" (or a Maple Leafs logo).

StPats4.png

Not a prediction but a hope.

Archived