2013 Winter Classic

drdougfresh

HWMILogo-1.jpg

Someone was going to do it eventually (talking about Winter Classic concepts), but I'm taking this one a step further, and putting another of my favorite events with it. There's talk of Mike Ilitch putting up a rink at Comerica and having the GLI (Great Lakes Invitational) outdoors, as well. Since the tournament is that week, why not? I'm turning it in to (as will likely happen eventually, anyway) a week-long celebration of hockey in Michigan: Hockey Week in the Mitten.

For this concept, I'm obviously assuming that the Winter Classic is going to be held at The Big House, and the GLI at Comerica. I decided to do logos for both, as well. The GLI's logo is pretty weak as it is right now, and I admittedly rolled the event into Comerica park and let that take over. I'm still happy with the outcome, just not sure how well it works into the future. Since it's a big huge event, why not have a logo for just one year? But I digress.

I'm going to start with the GLI. Usually there's a team from out-of-state in the invitational (at least since 1999), but since this is a Michigan-wide celebration of hockey and competition (feeding ultimately off the Leafs/Wings Original 6 rivalry), I decided to keep it in the state. The GLI for 2013 will feature 4 Michigan hockey powerhouses: U of M, MSU, Michigan Tech, and Northern Michigan. These are two of the largest college hockey rivalries in the region, guaranteeing an excellent atmosphere for the game. This also ensures that people all over the state will be drawn to the event, as the teams are fairly spread out.

Now, I'll post some promo photos of the logo and uniforms, and see what people think. I tried to give everyone a classic, refined (but retro) look-- aka fauxback, since this is probably going to be a one-off type of event. I'll post the actual uniforms once I'm entirely done putting them together, and we'll go from there.

GLILogo-2.jpg

Rivalry1-1.jpg

Rivalry2-1.jpg

Alright, gonna post the full uniforms:

MSUPres-1.jpg

UMPres.jpg

NMUPres.jpg

MTUPres-1.jpg

(Disclaimer: I know that most people abhor white shorts in hockey, but I did it for a couple reasons: it's a vintage look, and I wasn't a fan of monochrome green. As someone who's a fan of keeping MSU strictly two colors, I decided to take a step in that direction)

Wow, this is incredible. Literally, my only critique would be to thicken the stroke on the Michigan Tech numbers to make it more consistent with the stroke on the wordmark. Otherwise, I love everything about these, and I could easily see both logos being used for the actual event.

I'm pretty sure the problem with the lack of comments stems more from the fact that this is college hockey. EDIT: Guess I spoke too soon!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Alright, Winter Classic time. Here's the event logo:

WCLogo.jpg

As many of you may or may not know, this is the entry gate to Michigan Stadium. I added the Leafs and Wings logos to the gate in place of the signs. The actual sign that the Winter Classic insignia is on is a freeway sign (a roundabout way of representing the Motor City), and the background is the skyline of Detroit.

I also mocked up the back of Michigan's scoreboard with a pseudo-ad:

WCBoard.jpg

Still working on uniforms, so stay tuned for that. Probably going to do a few other "goodies" as well, a la sparky.

Alright, Winter Classic time. Here's the event logo:

WCLogo.jpg

As many of you may or may not know, this is the entry gate to Michigan Stadium. I added the Leafs and Wings logos to the gate in place of the signs. The actual sign that the Winter Classic insignia is on is a freeway sign (a roundabout way of representing the Motor City), and the background is the skyline of Detroit.

:shocked:

:notworthy:

That. Is. Awesome. Guarantee it ends up being better than whatever the NHL go with.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

its-beautiful.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived