2013 Winter Classic

drdougfresh

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments. Maybe I should just send the damn thing in (thought they would hate that Bridgestone isn't in a contrasting color).

Alright, I'll have the full sets up soon (prob not tomorrow, I'm going to see the Wings at the Desert Joe Louis Arena), but for now, here's the tops:

WCMatchup.jpg

They are a couple hybrids from the 20's & 30's. Both teams endured a lot of change in that time, Detroit changing from the Cougars, to the Falcons, to the Red Wings, and Toronto from the Arenas (technically 1919, but whatever), to the St Pats, to the Maple Leafs. There's a lot of designs from those times that are very similar between both teams, so I decided to mix up some classics. The Wings had a set when they were the Cougars that I really like (did a concept for it once, using the Cougar here), and since I wanted a color vs. color matchup, I inverted the jersey. I beefed up the stripes a little bit, and brought back the barber pole striped socks from the 26-27 Cougars that the Wings used in their last WC (inverted from WRW to RWR). For the Leafs, their jerseys were LOADED with stripes. I didn't want to go overkill, so I took the away jersey from 34-37 and inverted that, as well. The crest is from the home uni that year. On the shoulders of both jerseys, I put the logos for the original teams that spawned these storied franchises, as a nod to the past.

I get the feeling that these will get much more mixed reviews. :P

Colour vs. colour?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Colour vs. colour?

Why not?

they used to do it that way once upon a time--and during the 75th anniversary season the "original six" teams played games in throwbacks of sorts which were colour vs colour.

I think it would work--especially in an outdoor game with some seats so far away.

Blue vs red would be easier to follow than either blue or red vs white.

oh, and drdougfresh --those are a nice blend of a nod to the past without overdoing it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Colour vs. colour?

Why not?

they used to do it that way once upon a time--and during the 75th anniversary season the "original six" teams played games in throwbacks of sorts which were colour vs colour.

I think it would work--especially in an outdoor game with some seats so far away.

Blue vs red would be easier to follow than either blue or red vs white.

oh, and drdougfresh --those are a nice blend of a nod to the past without overdoing it.

Exactly, the Wings only introduced a white jersey in '34 because the Canadiens also wore red. And like you said, it's a lot easier to follow color v. color from far away.

And thanks for the feedback, gents. I'll address that suggestion, Bmac. I think the full-body one looks a little bit different when it's laid out flat like that.

No vintage white? Blasphemy! :P

Seriously, though, the WC logo looks amazing. On the Leafs jersey, the patch should be on the opposite side because at its current position, it would get in the way of the captaincy patch. For Detroit, I'd move the script down a bit and increase the size of the logo (not to mention that right now it doesn't look very TV friendly). Overall, great job.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thanks for all the feedback again. BB-- yeah I just noticed that. Fixed it on the whole unis, but since that's really just a promo photo, I'm not too worried about it. And vintage white would be blasphemy in this matchup. :P

Alright, full sets:

RedWingsWC.jpg

MapleLeafsWC-1.jpg

I also did a couple of apparel mock-ups for fun.

ApparelWings.jpg

ApparelLeafs.jpg

The event logo, the uniforms, and the apparel all work to give that classic, nostalgic feel.

I like the colour vs. colour approach.

The ONLY thing that I might change, would be to arc the event logo outline between the two top rounded corners.

Your presentation is excellent.

I like the updates--and the full sets--I were a Leafs or Wings fan I would love to have them, or one of the apparel mockups you did.

Nice work.

hopefully somebody in authority looks here & borrows these ideas. (And gives you proper credit etc.)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Good catch, Bubba. Fixed that.

Thanks again all for the C&C. I've got one more thing to present (not sure if I'll add much more to it right now), the game tickets. Since this ultimately is the big finish to a celebration of hockey in Michigan, I figured it would be awesome to feature the 6 players hanging from the rafters at Joe Louis Arena:

Tickets1.jpg

Tickets2.jpg

Archived