College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody else think these ND helmets will never actually hit the field? Way too much of a negative backlash. Jersey is nice, great font.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole uniform gets scrapped.

I doubt ND will ignore the will of their Adidas overlords like that.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

574530_405664142815769_1200837347_n.jpg

HGI posted this image. Now they are "covering" up the front bumper, but I'm starting to second guess the Army guess... To me that word doesn't say ARMY. You can kinda see the third letter, which doesn't look like an M. Unless they are using a slogan or a different font. Maybe it a stencil font, but I donno. thoughts?

NAVY? sure dosent look like an M in there

I'm going to murder the next person to even hint that that helmet isn't army's.

Combat_Uniform_Helmet_350x350.jpg

I think the helmet would look great (for a one time and one time only thing!) if they made the helmet blue on both sides and left the gold stripe down the middle with the same effect. Looking similar to last years UGA Pro Combat but with out the 2 colored mask.

and had a stripe on both sides of the pants

Maybe if there's enough backlash they'll use the regular helmets for the game...maybe...otherwise I may have to take my talents to Bloomington.

Like last year, these helmets were all handmade (hand-decorated?) by Troy Lee Designs. Real gold leaf turned by skilled craftsmen is probably worth quite a bit. I would all but guarantee these will not go to waste.

Here's what I get from these: Obvious vintage racing influence with the striping, the finishes, the asymmetrical elements, et al, which makes sense for Notre Dame (vintage) and Indiana/Michigan, as well as Troy Lee Designs (racing). The most interesting part about this for me, though, is the relationship between the left and right side. Look at the right side, and this is a total departure for Notre Dame, but look at it from the left side, and it's a very standard Notre Dame uniform cut from their own DNA, and a great looking one at that.

What makes it work, though, is the care shown in the design. The white stripe permeates throughout the uniform in a nearly perfect way. The helmet, the outlines on the numerals, the solid white graphics and team/player name lettering, the stripes on the ends of the undershirt, the edges of the pant stripe, the center stripe on the socks; it's a textbook display of repetition and unity in design, it's original, it's interesting, and it's fun. If I was going to design a uniform that Notre Dame would wear permanently, this wouldn't be it, but as a one-time uniform, I love it.

It's crap like this (and the shenanigans that Nike and Under Armour pull as well) which illustrate why the NCAA needs to step in and create more concrete uniform rules. It's no longer just a Phil Knight thing. Kevin Plank and whoever's in charge of Adidas in the US are just as culpable in this mess.

NFL-style rules about uniforms would never fly, but the NCAA needs to draw a line.

I see your point, but I much prefer a wild one-time-only uniform than an Oregon or Oklahoma State-esque approach in which you never know what your team is going to look like.

Hmm, so thje only guy that likes it is on adidas' payroll...

Hmm...I think this Notre Dame set is a couple of changes away from being great.

1) The helmet...I don't care how much work was put into them or what kind of gold it is - bottom line, they're awful helmets. Something I personally like the idea of is a turned gold leaf helmet with the navy and white fighting Irishman on both sides. It's different enough for Notre Dame while not venturing at all into the awful zone.

2) I'd say to replicate the pants stripe on the opposite side of the pants as well, but I still get a bit of a Pitt vibe from the look of the stripe against the gold as-is. Maybe just the Irishman against the gold on both sides, or even "IRISH" down the sides would steer it farther away from Pitt.

I love the jersey and undershirt, I have no complaints about them and they are undoubtedly the best part of this uniform. It's just a shame it had to be paired with such a poor helmet and "meh" pants.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

574530_405664142815769_1200837347_n.jpg

HGI posted this image. Now they are "covering" up the front bumper, but I'm starting to second guess the Army guess... To me that word doesn't say ARMY. You can kinda see the third letter, which doesn't look like an M. Unless they are using a slogan or a different font. Maybe it a stencil font, but I donno. thoughts?

NAVY? sure dosent look like an M in there

I'm going to murder the next person to even hint that that helmet isn't army's.

Combat_Uniform_Helmet_350x350.jpg

Would you Chill! You'd think we were personally attacking you. Didn't see the twitter post, can clearly see it's army's... now... just.. chillllll

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Maybe if there's enough backlash they'll use the regular helmets for the game...maybe...otherwise I may have to take my talents to Bloomington.

Like last year, these helmets were all handmade (hand-decorated?) by Troy Lee Designs. Real gold leaf turned by skilled craftsmen is probably worth quite a bit. I would all but guarantee these will not go to waste.

Here's what I get from these: Obvious vintage racing influence with the striping, the finishes, the asymmetrical elements, et al, which makes sense for Notre Dame (vintage) and Indiana/Michigan, as well as Troy Lee Designs (racing). The most interesting part about this for me, though, is the relationship between the left and right side. Look at the right side, and this is a total departure for Notre Dame, but look at it from the left side, and it's a very standard Notre Dame uniform cut from their own DNA, and a great looking one at that.

What makes it work, though, is the care shown in the design. The white stripe permeates throughout the uniform in a nearly perfect way. The helmet, the outlines on the numerals, the solid white graphics and team/player name lettering, the stripes on the ends of the undershirt, the edges of the pant stripe, the center stripe on the socks; it's a textbook display of repetition and unity in design, it's original, it's interesting, and it's fun. If I was going to design a uniform that Notre Dame would wear permanently, this wouldn't be it, but as a one-time uniform, I love it.

It's crap like this (and the shenanigans that Nike and Under Armour pull as well) which illustrate why the NCAA needs to step in and create more concrete uniform rules. It's no longer just a Phil Knight thing. Kevin Plank and whoever's in charge of Adidas in the US are just as culpable in this mess.

NFL-style rules about uniforms would never fly, but the NCAA needs to draw a line.

I see your point, but I much prefer a wild one-time-only uniform than an Oregon or Oklahoma State-esque approach in which you never know what your team is going to look like.

you know that has nothing to do with it. hes free to think for himself. at least Andrew can critique the uniform and state a case for WHY he likes it instead of just saying "its terrible" or "i love it". I'll have a LOT to say about this uniform soon, but ill be on the other side from Andrew on this one.

im starting to get the feeling thats an Army helmet. . . .

unless it's Navy *ducks*

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This is getting so old, it's sickening. I'm paid to design things. I'm not paid to publicly like, promote or favorably review anything. I give valid, unbiased, in-depth critique. I understand these are a huge departure from what a football uniform is, especially for a team like Notre Dame, but the fact is that visually, they work. I'm more than qualified to give my opinion on sports design, just as I trust you're more than qualified to give your opinion on the law. These don't get a scathing review from me because from the standpoint of design, they don't deserve it, i.e., design is two parts; you must have the idea, the plan, before you can bring it to life. Whatever you think of the idea, these were brought to life excellently based on that plan.

As I already stated, it may or may not be how you, I or anyone else would outfit Notre Dame on any sort of permanent basis, but if the point of a one-off is to make a splash, they did it. If the point of a one-off is to introduce new concepts that challenge what a football uniform could be, they did it. If the point of a one-off is to execute those concepts in a thorough and cohesive manner to create a visual package with a definite voice and purpose, they did it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The helmet...I don't care how much work was put into them or what kind of gold it is - bottom line, they're awful helmets.

I agree. That being said, the split helmet idea is a good one.... for Miami. Think about it: orange on one side, green on the other side, with a fat white stripe down the middle.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The helmet...I don't care how much work was put into them or what kind of gold it is - bottom line, they're awful helmets.

I agree. That being said, the split helmet idea is a good one.... for Miami. Think about it: orange on one side, green on the other side, with a fat white stripe down the middle.

I like this idea. I think other people might fancy it a tad too 'jester-like' for college football, but I think it would look great.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Those ND unis: Jersey is great, those numbers are pretty damn awesome. Pants are meh. Helmets are absolutely :censored: terrible. Seriously, it ruins one of the most famous, traditional & still good looks in college ball and is SO UGLY AND STUPID. Gah.

Side-note, why are HGI desparately trying to hype up what is, pretty much, the Army helmet from last year?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived