College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

What's with the mismatched shades of gold? And UA could have lowered the opacity on the honeycomb pattern on the navy numerals. For some reason the name honeydomers sounds good for gt.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems some of y'all are confused. I don't think Russell messed up and issued PR pics different from the on-field version. I think that GT again has two (slightly) different white uniforms for home and away.

Did anybody notice the gradient on Bethune-Cookman's helmets?? Imo they are awesome along with Florida A&M's and Tennessee State's lids

I don't mind the gradient, but what's the point of the weird shapes around the monogram? Is that part of the logo or just shapes added to look like an abstract football or something?

Kinda looks like a stylized football to me. The shapes are the outline and the monogrammed letters are the stitches. Sorta like this:

41Cq-uG3scL.jpg

I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm just saying it kinda looks like it.

It's a very striking similarity between the Nike football graphic and the Bethune-Cookman helmets. I believe, though, that the logo on their helmets is actually intended to represent wildcat ears.

gYH2mW9.png

Ok first of all, we've all decided the "honey"comb effect is associated scientifically with the yellow jacket. Science! you can't argue its not.

Well if we're going to evoke SCIENCE! we might as well be clear with our terms.

Honeycombs are not associated with yellow jackets. Honeycombs are only built by honeybees to store honey and are made of wax.

Some wasps (a type of insect that includes yellow jackets) use paper cone shaped structures that aren't used to store honey. So you really can't call a "comb" associated with a yellow jacket a honeycomb. Semantics, perhaps, but again accuracy of terminology matters if you're going to play the SCIENCE! card.

On top of that the hexagon shape we associate with these structures are almost universally associated with honeycombs, which are only made by bees. Very few people see a hexagon pattern and a black and yellow winged insect with a stinger and think "paper-like structure constructed by wasps." They think "honeycomb." For better or worse that's what most people jump to. So using this pattern, especially to this extent, furthers the "bees, wasps, and hornets are the same thing!" belief among the general populace. Which is troubling because...it's incorrect.

Now im late on this GT debacle. I dig the helmets, the jersey... hella overkill. I think what really just runs this joke into the ground is 3D effect in honeycomb. I like the simple honeycomb, on the helmet. but this effect (on the number espc) look AWFUL!!! Sleeves, undershirt, side panels maybe. Then call it a day.

If we're going to look at it as just a design element and nothing more, then it looks terrible. Using it just on the helmets might of worked if paired with a more traditional uniform (kind of a "best of both worlds" effect). The pattern seems relatively subdued.

The uniforms though? It's way to much, a case of someone at Russel just loosing their mind. Sadly the overabundance of the pattern on the uniforms drags the helmet down with it, in my opinion.

VT as normal looks amazing!

Agreed. I rather like their Colts/LSU/UCLA stripe look.

First uniform numbers to ever be seen from space

You must have missed Tennessee (and other schools) in the 90s.

You sayin' these numbers are big?

peyton-manning-tennessee-volunteers-autographed-photograph-3337585.jpgpeytonTN.jpg

I could barely see them from 30,000 ft.

tOSU needs to get in on that action...the tv numbers themselves were a force to be reckoned with.

First uniform numbers to ever be seen from space

You must have missed Tennessee (and other schools) in the 90s.

You sayin' these numbers are big?

peyton-manning-tennessee-volunteers-autographed-photograph-3337585.jpgpeytonTN.jpg

I could barely see them from 30,000 ft.

tOSU needs to get in on that action...the tv numbers themselves were a force to be reckoned with.

I actually miss those tv numbers for the Buckeyes. It was thhe first thing Nike got rid of. It was an awesome look too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Good news.... there's a gold version, too!

Screen_Shot_2012-09-03_at_8.11.28_PM.png

Keep up the good work, Russell.

You're pushing Nuordr for the worst taste on the boards.

EXCUSE ME! I beli8ve my tastes have changed quite a bit here lately and i also believe GTs helmet is wonderful,but their uniform is atrocious.

spacer.png

Am I the only one who notices that the Georgia Tech's new jerseys has the first in what I call "cris-cross piping?"

Kansas did it in basketball.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived