College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like there are stickers on the back of their helmets. Can't really make out what they are though.

And Illinois is in white over blue for the first time in 3 years. ASU in all maroon.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Vanderbilt is wearing all white against Northwestern. Both teams look good, but Vandy's pants could really use some striping.

Add some stripes and that white set would look awesome.

Arizona State is wearing all-maroon tonight versus Illinois

Oklahoma State vs Arizona (Blue-Red-Blue)

2011-H-W.png

2011-J-W.png

2011-P-G.png

spacer.png

Can anyone answer this question about LSU. Do they still wear their purples vs. non-conference opponents? I thought that was the case, but so far two home games against non-conference opponents and white jerseys.

TwitterIlliniFootballUniformtweakforIllini.png

Illinois changed their face mask color from white to blue...

The navy mask gives it an 80s look that's reminds me of Illinois and Syracuse back in the day.

The N on the Northwestern helmets seems lower than normal.

I noticed that last week. What year did Northwestern get rid of the uber-high decal placement?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't like the carbon fiber pattern either. I guess I never have. I could get behind actual carbon fiber helmets, but that's not realistic. I just don't really like things that are made to look exactly like other things in general. Feels artificial to me. If this pattern must be used, I'd prefer it be done in a way that makes it clear that it's a design element rather than straight-up faux carbon fiber. It also seems like Oregon's used the carbon fiber pattern for an eternity, given how quick their design turnover generally is.

Wasn't it Dieter Rams who said, "Good design is honest." Helmets like Oregon and Rutgers look cheap, because they're fake. They're not honest of what materials are being used.

I don't like the carbon fiber pattern either. I guess I never have. I could get behind actual carbon fiber helmets, but that's not realistic. I just don't really like things that are made to look exactly like other things in general. Feels artificial to me. If this pattern must be used, I'd prefer it be done in a way that makes it clear that it's a design element rather than straight-up faux carbon fiber. It also seems like Oregon's used the carbon fiber pattern for an eternity, given how quick their design turnover generally is.

Wasn't it Dieter Rams who said, "Good design is honest." Helmets like Oregon and Rutgers look cheap, because they're fake. They're not honest of what materials are being used.

Good design is honest? *shrug* Actually, good design lies. How many times to you watch a movie and see something that is not reality but you believe it. Go look up some good paintings or illustrations made in Illustrator that look like pictures. That's good design. The Oregon helmets, I get the idea, but it fails because it doesn't convey anything except "look at me". It's artwork and does that job, but design it's not. Rutgers on the otherhand is excellent design because it conveys the idea of a knight's helmet. Oregon would do well to have their helmet a solid green (no logo or anything) that changes colors like a mallard. That would be good design, less is more.

Good design is honest? *shrug* Actually, good design lies. How many times to you watch a movie and see something that is not reality but you believe it. Go look up some good paintings or illustrations made in Illustrator that look like pictures. That's good design. The Oregon helmets, I get the idea, but it fails because it doesn't convey anything except "look at me". It's artwork and does that job, but design it's not. Rutgers on the otherhand is excellent design because it conveys the idea of a knight's helmet. Oregon would do well to have their helmet a solid green (no logo or anything) that changes colors like a mallard. That would be good design, less is more.

I'm speaking strictly of design when it comes to objects. Paintings and illustrations are not what Rams' (or I) was talking about.

I understand your point though. However, if I had to pick, I'd say Oregon's helmet is better design than Rutgers. Oregon's has interesting design elements, whereas Rutgers' feels like a cheap costume prop.

Paintings and illustrations are not necessarily design. They are artwork, and as you pointed out two sentences after your assertion, artwork and design are not always the same thing. You're saying less is more, yet you're praising a polycarbonate helmet with a finish that's made to look like aged metal, complete with pretend scratches? That's not simple at all. I don't think Rutgers' helmet is bad design. It's very low-end design that's been executed very well. It relies upon an illusion to make its point. It's very literal, and it achieves its goal with a very artificial process and look. None of these things are necessarily bad by nature, but when they are the only means for the design to succeed, I think there's a better way to be found.

It's the exact same thing as the faux-wood masonite paneling people put on their walls in the 1970s or a Formica countertop that's printed to look like marble. Then there's a grey area, where something like laminate flooring is a little different because that type of system serves greater functional purposes, like ease of installation, replacement, removal, as well as durability, low maintenance, among other things. The purpose of the product isn't solely to be (or appear to be) something it's not.

Rams' principles apply directly to product design, but design is design, and they also can act as guidelines for graphic, apparel or any other type of design. Good design does not lie. Popular design lies. Here is the specific principle so you can possibly see why. You sort of have to take yourself out of marketingland when you think about these things, though, because our market does a great job of fueling ideas that oppose many of these principles. That's part of the reason why the market is flooded with a very small ratio of good design to bad.

Good design:

Is innovative - The possibilities for innovation are not, by any means, exhausted. Technological development is always offering new opportunities for innovative design. But innovative design always develops in tandem with innovative technology, and can never be an end in itself.

Makes a product useful - A product is bought to be used. It has to satisfy certain criteria, not only functional, but also psychological and aesthetic. Good design emphasizes the usefulness of a product whilst disregarding anything that could possibly detract from it.

Is aesthetic - The aesthetic quality of a product is integral to its usefulness because products are used every day and have an effect on people and their well-being. Only well-executed objects can be beautiful.

Makes a product understandable - It clarifies the product’s structure. Better still, it can make the product clearly express its function by making use of the user's intuition. At best, it is self-explanatory.

Is unobtrusive - Products fulfilling a purpose are like tools. They are neither decorative objects nor works of art. Their design should therefore be both neutral and restrained, to leave room for the user's self-expression.

Is honest - It does not make a product seem more innovative, powerful or valuable than it really is. It does not attempt to manipulate the consumer with promises that cannot be kept.

Is long-lasting - It avoids being fashionable and therefore never appears antiquated. Unlike fashionable design, it lasts many years – even in today's throwaway society.

Is thorough down to the last detail - Nothing must be arbitrary or left to chance. Care and accuracy in the design process show respect towards the consumer.

Is environmentally friendly - Design makes an important contribution to the preservation of the environment. It conserves resources and minimizes physical and visual pollution throughout the lifecycle of the product.

Is as little design as possible - Less, but better – because it concentrates on the essential aspects, and the products are not burdened with non-essentials. Back to purity, back to simplicity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I know it was a recurring motif on the entire uniform but the asymmetrical stripe on VT's Pro Combat really hurt the uniform in my eyes. It was a good look overall, though.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Oregon's new carbon fiber was definitely darker than on past iterations. Wasn't really a big fan of it, wish they had kept the black stripe at least, don't knock them for consistency though. Really dug the combo though, looked sharp in person. The grey outline around the numbers is actually reflective, no photo proof though, but the replicas light up when you take a pic of them with flash on.

The Mizzou uniforms would be PERFECT if it wasn't for that stupid collar. It fits their design more so than most NFL designs, but damn that thing still looks terrible!

The helmets are outstanding though.

Those were my least favorite uniforms of the weekend.

The Mizzou uniforms would be PERFECT if it wasn't for that stupid collar. It fits their design more so than most NFL designs, but damn that thing still looks terrible!

The helmets are outstanding though.

Those were my least favorite uniforms of the weekend.

Seriously?

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived