College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Why is Iowa, who remained really consistent jumping ship to do all these alts?

For the same reason that Notre Dame and Michigan have temporarily abandoned their traditional uniforms and for the same reason that Ohio State, Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma have participated in the PCR series: money talks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iowa Pro-Combat

jersey1.jpg

Whole lotta blah.

Agree 1000x

When will you guys understand the point behind this jersey? Obviously it's not a "HEY LOOK, WE'RE IOWA AND WE HAVE A NEW LOOK!". It's clearly inspired by a uniform worn in an era where style, flash, and probably even helmets were not used. You guys have got to realize that the purpose of a true throw back look is using basic modern material, and aesthetically matching an era. C'mon, this is principals of design. Whether a throwback inspired uniform, or simple a faux throwback, the execution is spot on.

The lack of manufacturer's logos, and "flywire" and gaudy details here and there DOES NOT make a uniform "blah". It makes the uniform serve it's intended purpose.

While we're talking about Missouri, something is seriously wrong with their jersey numbers on their black tops. On the jersey, it literally looks like their colors are black and orange. I don't want to flood the board with too many pics, but there's a lot of them that look like this.

Mizzou53.jpg

Also, that look is MUCH better than the arena league look they debuted against UGA.

Completely agree and am still pretty surprised that the mjority here doesn't feel that way.

The last time I checked the Arena League was a step up from college, just sayin'. But I prefer the Alternate-Yellow-Black myself as I feel that helmet is just wonderful and the yellow jersey is just fantastic looking. However, regardless of whether people hate that alternate uniform, everyone has to agree that their new set is a drastic improvement over their last set. Yah or Nay?

No and no. The Arena League might be a step up from college in the concept that the athletes are now paid money, but aesthetically the college game blows away the Arena League. Not to mention college kills arena football in terms of every other facet of the game.

Also, I would easily say that these unis are a step down from their last ones. There is no consistency in the current uniforms. The black ones (easily the best. All jerseys should follow the design of this one) feature solid tops, the yellows have all kinds of slashes and cuts, and the white ones feature gray shoulders. I'm not sure where that new color came from, either. They really need to consolidate their brand and find a core identity. It's not really working right now.

Exactly. 3 templates drives me crazy. If they had just gone with the template from the black uni and had a vellow and white version, that would be great. The color isn't the problem for me. Heck, even the template used on the yellow is fine. I just hate that they used 3 templates. I also hate the helmet. It is not fitting of a major college program in an elite conference IMO.

Having different templates doesn't bother me. They don't wear them at the same time. Just my opinion. Also, I didn't like the alt unis they wore against Georgia as much as others seem to. There's something about that helmet that looks like a cluttered mess. I guess it's the large numbers on back or maybe the lack of white in the tiger head.

Iowa Pro-Combat

jersey1.jpg

Whole lotta blah.

Agree 1000x

When will you guys understand the point behind this jersey? Obviously it's not a "HEY LOOK, WE'RE IOWA AND WE HAVE A NEW LOOK!". It's clearly inspired by a uniform worn in an era where style, flash, and probably even helmets were not used. You guys have got to realize that the purpose of a true throw back look is using basic modern material, and aesthetically matching an era. C'mon, this is principals of design. Whether a throwback inspired uniform, or simple a faux throwback, the execution is spot on.

The lack of manufacturer's logos, and "flywire" and gaudy details here and there DOES NOT make a uniform "blah". It makes the uniform serve it's intended purpose.

I do think it's blah in the fact that is doesnt have hawkeyes wings on the shoulder, or that its not flashy. I think it fails precisely because of what you said it succeeds at. This is a lack of execution carried on a not very well thought out idea. The gray/silver pants only goes to muddy up Iowa's brand, introducing a new foreign color, because ??? There is a point when throwing back is not a good idea. When you throwback to a design that is not good design, then it is still bad design whether or not its a throwback or not. There is an appreciate for uniforms, because they can bring back memories of that era. But if it's bad design, then it's bad design now. I think this is bad design no matter when you look at it. The number font doesn't match any era minus Purdue currently. I think when they add a branch name above the number it will only clutter what obviously is supposed to be a very minimal look. And I think the lack of any sort of recognizable imagery IE stripe / logo / something, only makes it worse. When you look at this jersey alone, you don't see Iowa at all. Why create a jersey that doesn't make you look like your school?

And why change at all in this situation? I think this is where it is a "Hey look were IOWA". It's a one-off jersey, to be wore once. If they didnt want the attention, then they would have kept their already pretty decent jerseys, and not said a word. No jersey, with all the time/money/resources is made to not impress and show off to recruits/fans/players.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Iowa Pro-Combat

jersey1.jpg

Whole lotta blah.

Agree 1000x

I think it is blah because Black, Gold and Grey looks like crap together. But I will say it looks better than that other throwback they wore last week. Now that was FUGLY!

spacer.png

Not sure if D2 is included in this, but I thought these helmets were pretty cool and Boise State pro combat style

00002615-org.jpg

Notre Dame College in Ohio

If that eyebrow portion is halftoned i'll die inside.

Good execution, but the use of a higher quality logo would do wonders.

Are those their game jerseys? Or is this a practice?

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Iowa Pro-Combat

jersey1.jpg

Whole lotta blah.

Agree 1000x

I do think it's blah in the fact that is doesnt have hawkeyes wings on the shoulder, or that its not flashy. I think it fails precisely because of what you said it succeeds at. This is a lack of execution carried on a not very well thought out idea. The gray/silver pants only goes to muddy up Iowa's brand, introducing a new foreign color, because ??? There is a point when throwing back is not a good idea. When you throwback to a design that is not good design, then it is still bad design whether or not its a throwback or not. There is an appreciate for uniforms, because they can bring back memories of that era. But if it's bad design, then it's bad design now. I think this is bad design no matter when you look at it. The number font doesn't match any era minus Purdue currently. I think when they add a branch name above the number it will only clutter what obviously is supposed to be a very minimal look. And I think the lack of any sort of recognizable imagery IE stripe / logo / something, only makes it worse. When you look at this jersey alone, you don't see Iowa at all. Why create a jersey that doesn't make you look like your school?

And why change at all in this situation? I think this is where it is a "Hey look were IOWA". It's a one-off jersey, to be wore once. If they didnt want the attention, then they would have kept their already pretty decent jerseys, and not said a word. No jersey, with all the time/money/resources is made to not impress and show off to recruits/fans/players.

Iowa's brand? You must be talking about the Steelers ripoff.

Not sure if D2 is included in this, but I thought these helmets were pretty cool and Boise State pro combat style

00002615-org.jpg

There's a guy in the pic with another helmet, color scheme and a white shirt on, so I'd assume it's a game.

00002615-org.jpg

Considering the guy about to tackle him is wearing a helmet with a green "M" on it, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's from a game.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Iowa Pro-Combat

jersey1.jpg

Whole lotta blah.

Agree 1000x

bravo, sir

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived