College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Virginia is wearing throwback uniforms against Louisiana Tech on the 29th.

6509620.jpg

They've got a couple extra shots on their Twitter page here and here.

Replace the old-school logo with the current sword V logo and you have a look for he ages. Also have a blue helmet option.

Agreed. I love everything about these uniforms. The only bad thing is the grey face masks.

Yes. Solid white V with solid blue swords. Does anyone have an image of the original uniform these are based on? I'm wondering why the stripes are treated in such a unique way on the sleeves.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6509620.jpg

Replace the old-school logo with the current sword V logo and you have a look for he ages. Also have a blue helmet option.

Agreed. I love everything about these uniforms. The only bad thing is the grey face masks.

Yes. Solid white V with solid blue swords. Does anyone have an image of the original uniform these are based on? I'm wondering why the stripes are treated in such a unique way on the sleeves.

that stood out to me instantly, i've done some concepts with stripes very similar but never thought they could actually be produced that way. its a pleasant surprise to me

screenshot20120919at122.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

6509620.jpg

The link above the picture has the uniforms you are asking about. As far as why the sleeve stripes are like they are, because they are poorly designed.

6509620.jpg

UVa uniform history 1968

1968_uva_vmi_maybe2_69_Corks_Curls_4_1.jpg

I think what I was trying to say is yes, ASU did do a rebrand, but college football fans still know it's ASU IMO. Even with the addition of black, the pitchfork, and multiple helmets, Sparky is still featured pretty well in my opinion. If you look at their field, you see the gold and maroon everywhere. You still get the "feel" that they are the Sun Devils, without going overboard. But with Georgia Tech, they tried to be clever and it didn't work out at all. Bubble wrap numbers, hideous striping, even with GT on the helmet I still had a difficult time picturing Georgia Tech.

Funny I would say just the opposite, the old look was instantly recognizable. The new look has a generic team named the Devils look, that ultimately hurt the brand nationwide.

6509620.jpg

Looks like they botched the helmet logo. From the image here, and from other images I've seen of this helmet, there is no outer white outline. It's a little detail, but makes a big difference, I think.

1968_gene_arnette_69_Corks_Curls_8_2.jpg

6509620.jpg

Looks like they botched the helmet logo. From the image here, and from other images I've seen of this helmet, there is no outer white outline. It's a little detail, but makes a big difference, I think.

1968_gene_arnette_69_Corks_Curls_8_2.jpg

Agreed. I was going to say something about the neck logo not having an outline bugging me, but it appears that one is actually correct.

I think what I was trying to say is yes, ASU did do a rebrand, but college football fans still know it's ASU IMO. Even with the addition of black, the pitchfork, and multiple helmets, Sparky is still featured pretty well in my opinion. If you look at their field, you see the gold and maroon everywhere. You still get the "feel" that they are the Sun Devils, without going overboard. But with Georgia Tech, they tried to be clever and it didn't work out at all. Bubble wrap numbers, hideous striping, even with GT on the helmet I still had a difficult time picturing Georgia Tech.

Funny I would say just the opposite, the old look was instantly recognizable. The new look has a generic team named the Devils look, that ultimately hurt the brand nationwide.

I have to disagree with it being "instantly recognizable." If you showed it to casual fans up here, they probably would think it was a local high school.

I have to disagree with it being "instantly recognizable." If you showed it to casual fans up here, they probably would think it was a local high school.

and thats the problem, its not a proper modern college logo. that style worked up til the 1960s or so. the personality is all wrong

Sparky is no more ASU specific than the current pitchfork though. they're both as " devil generic" as the other. what Sparky does have is equity. its been around for a long time, thats why its recognizable. logos are not born with recognition, they earn it. the pitchfork will in time become as iconic and recognizable as any other.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Am I the only one who doesn't miss that cartoonish, thoroughly non-intimidating devil in footsie pajamas? If you're going to name your team the Devils, you've got to run with it and look as badass as possible.

thats what i've said from the start. that skipping midget can skip on back to middle school where he belongs. thats not a college logo

And their current salad fork logo is?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

6509620.jpg

I'd rather leave this look to Illinois and Syracuse. UVA can go a different direction.

Archived