College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

How so? What function does a belt provide that an elastic waistband doesn't? It's extra weight, something that an opponent can grab onto, and more potential for injury. An elastic waist provides the perfect fit every time without any of those drawbacks. I prefer belts, but looks are belts' only advantage.

Do I really have to explain why belts are better?

Put on a pair of elastic waist pants and have your friends tug on them and try to pull them off. Now put on a pair of pants with a belt and do the same thing. If you're doing it right, a belt will keep your pants on longer.

I think the difference is negligible if the elastic waisted pants are fitted properly. Players' pants falling down are not exactly a major concern, either, considering how rarely it happens in any sport, including those in which elastic waists are the norm, like soccer and basketball.

hester_butt_800.jpg

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How so? What function does a belt provide that an elastic waistband doesn't? It's extra weight, something that an opponent can grab onto, and more potential for injury. An elastic waist provides the perfect fit every time without any of those drawbacks. I prefer belts, but looks are belts' only advantage.

Put on a pair of elastic waist pants and have your friends tug on them and try to pull them off. Now put on a pair of pants with a belt and do the same thing. If you're doing it right, a belt will keep your pants on longer.

I think the difference is negligible if the elastic waisted pants are fitted properly. Players' pants falling down are not exactly a major concern, either, considering how rarely it happens in any sport, including those in which elastic waists are the norm, like soccer and basketball.

hester_butt_800.jpg

Like I said, it's quite rare, and one photo doesn't disprove that. Secondly, that guy likely has a belt on, since all NFL pants are belted.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Like I said, it's quite rare, and one photo doesn't disprove that. Secondly, that guy likely has a belt on, since all NFL pants are belted.

That guy (Devin Hester, the greatest return man in the history of the NFL) does have a belt on, but it wasn't being used and he got pantsed. It's the exact same thing when you grab elastic, it stretches.

You realize that, right? Elastic stretches and a belt, made out of a taught material, doesn't? The negligible difference in weight wont affect a football game in any way, you realize that as well, right? So why wouldn't you go with the thing that wont slow you down and will prevent you from getting pantsed?

In no way is an elastic waist band "better" in any facet of life besides comfort, they're never more useful or durable than a belt.

You don't have to talk to me like I'm 7. I understand what you're saying. Fact is, it happens so rarely that it's not an issue, and thus, elastic doesn't present a problem from a functional standpoint. Belts look better, of course, but I can't remember a time I wished I'd been wearing a belt during an athletic competition, for any reason. Your waist expands, contracts, shifts and moves quite a bit while you're playing. Elastic moves with you while a belt is completely counterintuitive to that. Like I said, looks are a big reason to stick with belts, but beyond that, the tenth of a percent chance that someone pulls your pants down during competition doesn't really give belts a 'leg-up' in my eyes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You don't have to talk to me like I'm 7. I understand what you're saying. Fact is, it happens so rarely that it's not an issue, and thus, elastic doesn't present a problem from a functional standpoint. Belts look better, of course, but I can't remember a time I wished I'd been wearing a belt during an athletic competition, for any reason. Your waist expands, contracts, shifts and moves quite a bit while you're playing. Elastic moves with you while a belt is completely counterintuitive to that. Like I said, looks are a big reason to stick with belts, but beyond that, the tenth of a percent chance that someone pulls your pants down during competition doesn't really give belts a 'leg-up' in my eyes.

You're right. I'm sorry. I re read my post and it came off dickishier than I meant it too. Sorry.

Agree to disagree.

You're right. I'm sorry. I re read my post and it came off dickishier than I meant it too. Sorry.

Agree to disagree.

No worries. I think we've all been there. The internet isn't exactly tailor-made for debate.

hester_butt_800.jpg

I had to fix this for you...TMI.

spacer.png

I didn't realize soccer and basketball players try to tackle their opponents at the waist. Is any mfg besides adidas moving to the elastic waistband?

I'm pretty sure that about 100% of the pants worn when I played football were some sort of elastic material and a majority of us always got a size or two smaller than we actually wore which would not have been plausible if the pants were not elastic. Either way belts were never needed but always used and I played a while back. I just don't get these manufacturers switching things up so much that the unis are turning more towards figure skating outfit with the sewn in cleats rather than just taking their time and perfect the uniforms they out on the field now rather than using it a dress rehearsal and changing the cuts and fit every year which most of those yearly updates have screwed up some great traditional uniforms!

I'm pretty sure that about 100% of the pants worn when I played football were some sort of elastic material and a majority of us always got a size or two smaller than we actually wore which would not have been plausible if the pants were not elastic. Either way belts were never needed but always used and I played a while back. I just don't get these manufacturers switching things up so much that the unis are turning more towards figure skating outfit with the sewn in cleats rather than just taking their time and perfect the uniforms they out on the field now rather than using it a dress rehearsal and changing the cuts and fit every year which most of those yearly updates have screwed up some great traditional uniforms!

i always had a belt on my pants and it was one of the worst parts about any uniform i ever wore. if someone tackled you and say, put their shoulder pad right on the buckle it would leave a mark on my skin. worse if the belt buckle/loop flipped up over the pants and made direct skin contact. F that!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived