College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that about 100% of the pants worn when I played football were some sort of elastic material and a majority of us always got a size or two smaller than we actually wore which would not have been plausible if the pants were not elastic. Either way belts were never needed but always used and I played a while back. I just don't get these manufacturers switching things up so much that the unis are turning more towards figure skating outfit with the sewn in cleats rather than just taking their time and perfect the uniforms they out on the field now rather than using it a dress rehearsal and changing the cuts and fit every year which most of those yearly updates have screwed up some great traditional uniforms!

i always had a belt on my pants and it was one of the worst parts about any uniform i ever wore. if someone tackled you and say, put their shoulder pad right on the buckle it would leave a mark on my skin. worse if the belt buckle/loop flipped up over the pants and made direct skin contact. F that!

let's also not forget that the original reason for belts was that the canvas pants were so baggy, ill fitting, and loaded up with heavy pads you needed a belt to keep your pants from falling down, any countermeasure to prevent defenders from pulling was totally secondary...with the eventual evolution of the pant and introduction of spandex, a belted football pant is no longer a necessity...as the waistbands become more flexible yet durable they will be phased out completely.

personally I don't know if I'll live long enough to see it but the real football uniform of the future is the bodysuit aka the downhill skier suit (anyone remember the nfl 75th sketch with red grange and the player of the future?)...if you think about it, there's just a natural progression toward that sort of uniform...you've got a skin tight aerodynamic uniform that consolidates many elements into a single uniform piece...I would have to think the traditionalists would love this as well because you would be able bring sleeves and their accompanying stripes back to a uniform length, make faux pants that begin at the waist (maybe even a faux belt?) and extend past the knee, faux socks that are uniform length and design for all players and you could even have the legs stretch over the feet to make the footwear entirely uniform...additionally you'd have to think that this would be an equipment managers dream come true by cutting down the laundry load by 50% or more.

obviously this evolution (or dare I say revolution) won't happen over night but I predict that by 2028-2030 the one piece nfl uniform will be the standard...integrated helmet will probably take another 7-9 years after that.

Here's a gallery on MSU's SBNation site.

Hate the hell out of those Snow Bowl unis (The helmet is AWFUL & silver numbers on white is always a bad idea), but the Egg Bowl unis are okay. The only thing I wish they would do is wear the maroon pants. The (superior) matte helmet looks great with the gold outline, and I kinda wished that they would've made gold a permanent part of their identity to further distinguish them from A&M.

I actually really like the MSU helmet, but I do wish the numbers at least were maroon. The silver numbers push a nice idea a bit over the top, unfortunately.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

This may belong in a 2013 season thread, but here are the helmets for Houston Baptist University. They will be fielding a football team for the first time next year. They are set to be full time members in the Southland Conference for 2014. The helmet design seems to follow the LSU approach, but without the letters appearing like they were created using electric tape.

photo.jpg

What the heck is being said in in this OSU paragraph ? 3 most occurring oranges? They're going to blend in? How stealth is too stealth? And there's a prism?

Basically, they matched the 3 most common shades of orange that are found in their stadium on game day and matched them to what they put on the uniform, making them "blend in" to the surroundings. Which, obviously in turn makes them faster.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

This may belong in a 2013 season thread, but here are the helmets for Houston Baptist University. They will be fielding a football team for the first time next year. They are set to be full time members in the Southland Conference for 2014. The helmet design seems to follow the LSU approach, but without the letters appearing like they were created using electric tape.

photo.jpg

That's actually pretty sharp. Do they know where they are going to play yet?

photo.jpg

That's actually pretty sharp. Do they know where they are going to play yet?

The eventual plan is to have a 10,000-15,000 seat stadium built on campus. For the first couple of seasons they are looking to play at either BBVA Compass Stadium (Houston Dynamo and Texas Southern's stadium) or Constellation Field (Sugar Land Skeeter's ballpark)

Is that this year's egg bowl uniform on the left?

I believe so. Here's a quick video from their beat writer that shows them both.

ETA: Found more pictures of them here.

MHFKPFYWSZKOSEC.20120926144113.jpg

A3uxH6ICUAIBE2U.jpg

Look how much closer the team name is to the silver numbers than the gold and how much further away from the team name the adidas and SEC logos are on the silver-numbered jerseys.

I like the State uniforms, but they could still be improved-

Gold shoulder stripe on the egg bowl unis.

Newer model or matte white on the snow bowl helmet.

All maroon m logo on the snow bowl helmet instead of the ugly two-color one.

I'm not a huge fan of the big bulldog logo, but it's not bad for one game.

So I'd give the snow bowl 3/5 and egg bowl 4/5. It will be interesting how they look in person.

Archived