wILL-INI

College Football 2012 Season

Oh, I dream of a day when the NCAA imposes strict NFL-style uniform regulations. That would be fantastic. Throw all of this craziness out the window and restore some sanity to football.

Why is that necessary? Unregulated uniforms haven't stopped teams like Bama, Oklahoma, and Penn State from keeping their same old looks. I think the uniform regulations are stupid in the NFL too. If a team wants to have multiple helmets and combos, let them!

...because unregulated uniforms have not stopped every other team in the FBS from doing the opposite? Argument failure on your part.

Not an argument failure at all. My point is that without the rules, the schools who want to mix-and-match do it, and the schools who want to keep their traditional look do that. It's not like teams are being forced to be untraditional.

The statement about regulations implies reducing the amount of teams that are electing to not only go untraditional, but absolutely bonkers with constant change. I don't think any regulations should be made...but for the sake of the argument, the point would be teams that want to change constantly can't, to some extent. This has nothing to do with teams like Bama, Penn State, etc.

Again, unless schools are somehow being forced against their will to mix-and-match and wear untraditional uniforms, there's no reason for the NCAA to step in. CRich is arguing in favor of uniform regulations based on the flimsy premise that "sanity needs to be restored to college football," yet many programs have done just fine staying "sane" without the NCAA stepping in and restricting other schools' rights to be "insane". Ultimately, it should always be up to the school to decide how they want to look.

We've done that and we have countless examples of schools taking it too far. When do we draw a line?

College football looks like a crazy circus.

Everyone loves the Circus.

Nobody wants to see Cirque du Soleil on the field.

Actually I think Cirque du Soleil would be a great halftime performance! :D

I'm one for sanctioning the frequency of change. You can dress your team up in whatever the hell you want, but only every five years or so. You want a brand that should be held up? These are established and accredited universities in some cases. Some people "will" believe that a school that dresses like dorks will behave as such. Some schools' academic departments don't want that.

NOTE: I'm not restricting what teams can do other than change less often.

I'm one for sanctioning the frequency of change. You can dress your team up in whatever the hell you want, but only every five years or so. You want a brand that should be held up? These are established and accredited universities in some cases. Some people "will" believe that a school that dresses like dorks will behave as such. Some schools' academic departments don't want that.

NOTE: I'm not restricting what teams can do other than change less often.

Anybody that believes that probably wasn't getting in to that school anyways.

This might be IMO one of the better-looking games, uniform-wise:

1007270.jpg

Full Gallery Here.

I liked it how BYU wore White/Navy/White, while USU went with Navy/White/Navy. (Of course, IMO the Cougars should be White/Royal/White).

Too bad the Aggies didn't come out on top, but I'm bias. :P

I guess espn shows byu every Friday night so I happen to catch them often but I think they have one of the best sets in the country. They don't get enough praise. They're so clean I love them.

BYU definitely has one of the best uniforms in the country and their transition to Nike's newest template was seamless.

I fear Coach Fitz at Northwestern will eventually hop on this train because he's a huge flag waver and is now the coach at an Under Armour school.

Miami_Notre_Dame_Football_(14)_t607.JPG

I was determined to hate these but seeing them in action... I kind of like them. Looked a lot better on the field than in the initial photo shoot which is rare.

I was determined to hate these but seeing them in action... I kind of like them. Looked a lot better on the field than in the initial photo shoot which is rare.

really? i feel the uniforms always look best in their actual environment/application. on a team of athletes, and on a field rather than on 1 model in a locker room (adidas) a cave (nike) or lightbulb storage facility (under armor)

really? i feel the uniforms always look best in their actual environment/application. on a team of athletes, and on a field rather than on 1 model in a locker room (adidas) a cave (nike) or lightbulb storage facility (under armor)

These Notre Dame uniforms aren't bad, but I think being symmetric all the way around would've improved this set drastically (most notably the pants stripe and helmet). The helmets would've looked much better with either the gold pattern all the way around, but it would still be an improvement if the navy area w/leprechaun were on both sides of the helmet.* There are some subtle exceptions to symmetry for me (Steelers), but in general, I find symmetrical uniforms far better than asymmetrical uniforms. More accurately matching the gold on the helmets with the numbers and pants would also have helped as well, but that seems to be a common issue between many uniform suppliers nowadays.

*Thus creating a fat gold stripe down the middle.

Edited by DustDevil61

Those ND uniforms are terrible, there is 0 reason behind it other than, "beacause we can." The asymmetry makes no sense in an irish uniform, the blue on the helmet is an afront to Irish (the team not the people) history and all white logo is just plain confusing.

The jerseys are great, I'll give them that (I like the numbers in shape, color and execution). But the rest of the uniform just makes no sense. I don't mind modern design when there is forethought behind the execution (Northwestern, Oregon) even when it's executed poorly (Maryland Flagasms), but adidas put less thought into this design than they did with Nebraska or Wisco, and that's saying something.

I like the Arkansas set but not a fan of the gradual darkening on the front numerals: AYDQFUAHPKZPUFJ.20121006193308.jpg

Also bravo to UNC's latest helmet rendition:

YRXWJPKLICSCJYG.20121006234006.jpg

I agree on Arkansas. If they eliminated the gradients from all the numbers and helmets, their sets would be quite nice. I also liked this away look because the pants didn't have the silly striping. If the white pants were plain, that would also help. I forget who said it, but I agree wholeheartedly that traditional striping is the best, which is better than no striping, which is better than silly striping.