College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

I hate this :censored:.

x3uIK.jpg

I actually really like that Boston College uniform.... for Army.

Rice throwbacks (1957 Cotton Bowl Champions) for this Saturday's game vs UTSA:

A4s3sT8CYAEsekP.jpg

I don't know why but it really bothers me when teams use old templates, like LSU or Ohio State or Wisconsin. It makes it look less professional (technically, they aren't professionals, but you get what I mean).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

x3uIK.jpg

A4s3sT8CYAEsekP.jpg

I don't know why but it really bothers me when teams use old templates, like LSU or Ohio State or Wisconsin. It makes it look less professional (technically, they aren't professionals, but you get what I mean).

Is this a navy uniform, because isn't Rice Navy/Silver?

AmPJ0Ty.png 

This might be IMO one of the better-looking games, uniform-wise:

1007270.jpg

Full Gallery Here.

I liked it how BYU wore White/Navy/White, while USU went with Navy/White/Navy. (Of course, IMO the Cougars should be White/Royal/White).

Too bad the Aggies didn't come out on top, but I'm bias. :P

I thought this was one of the best looking games of the week. I absolutely love Utah State's new uniform set.

spacer.png

x3uIK.jpg

A4s3sT8CYAEsekP.jpg

well, when the other option is TechFit i'd say they made the right choice

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

...all white logo is just plain confusing.

What makes an all white logo confusing?

...but adidas put less thought into this design than they did with Nebraska or Wisco, and that's saying something.

I really don't know why there's any need for valueless critique like this, but how exactly do you go about quantifying the amount of 'thought' that was put into something by looking at it? Without seeing the creative brief? Without seeing all the work that was created before meeting with the school? Without knowing what the school thought of that work and what opinions they came back with? And so on?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1007270.jpg

Full Gallery Here.

I liked it how BYU wore White/Navy/White, while USU went with Navy/White/Navy. (Of course, IMO the Cougars should be White/Royal/White).

I thought this was one of the best looking games of the week. I absolutely love Utah State's new uniform set.

I think Utah State has the most underrated uniform set in College Football.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

A4uGqtFCEAEiyq5.jpg

VT helmet for homecoming

1007270.jpg

Full Gallery Here.

by who? I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about them.

I've never seen that logo executed in one color (I'm not even sure I've seen a paper use that logo in B&W) and I'm not sure why they felt the need to do that on this uniform. That design choice confuses me.

As for my "Valueless critique", I highlighted the specifics that - seemingly - have no bearing in ND history or tradition. Perhaps 'thought' is the wrong word, how about 'clearly constructed design choices', does that hold some value?

Good uniform design - at least in my opinion - flows from a team's identity and tradition. The concepts, however modern or traditional, shouldn't appear out of thin air, but rather have some semblance of continuity to previous ideas/traditions. Colleges are not professional teams, they do not move, they do not rebrand (not in the overhaul/Cleveland Browns > Baltimore Ravens sense). The University is constant and the uniforms, in at least some sense, should reflect that.

With a team steeped in tradition - especially a tradition that is know for having both literal and figurative "Golden Domes" - it behooves the designers to realize that ignoring that tradition is the last thing one should do.

What I find “valueless” is your defense of these uniforms as though you were the design meetings, because unless you know something we don’t, I can’t find a single reason to excuse those helmets.

All that said, again, I think those jerseys were fine and are a lateral move, if not better, than the current home unis.

EDIT:

Let me put it mathmatically: If A is the old design B is the reason for the changes and C is the new design, even if I don't know the value of B I think I should be able to figure out how A + B = C

With these ND unis, I can't figure out, for the life of me, what B was other than "change" and "bizarre" for "change" and "Bizarre"'s sake...

A4uGqtFCEAEiyq5.jpg

VT helmet for homecoming

1007270.jpg

Full Gallery Here.

I can see what he's saying. They've kind of gone under the radar because 1. they're not a powerhouse and 2. because they just have one of those looks that's not really flashy, but well put together and appealing to many people. It's not unlike BYU, but USU is a bit more contemporary is all.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

A4uGqtFCEAEiyq5.jpg

VT helmet for homecoming

1007270.jpg

Full Gallery Here.

I can see what he's saying. They've kind of gone under the radar because 1. they're not a powerhouse and 2. because they just have one of those looks that's not really flashy, but well put together and appealing to many people. It's not unlike BYU, but USU is a bit more contemporary is all.

But what I'm saying is they aren't underrated so much as they aren't rated at all. Hardly anyone has seen them play, but I don't think anyone that has dislikes their uniforms.

A4uGqtFCEAEiyq5.jpg

VT helmet for homecoming

1007270.jpg

Full Gallery Here.

But what I'm saying is they aren't underrated so much as they aren't rated at all. Hardly anyone has seen them play, but I don't think anyone that has dislikes their uniforms.

Their new uniforms are light-years better than last years and they've done an amazing job rebranding their identity.in all their major sports

Edit: I like VT's white helmet with the orange "VT".

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I've never seen that logo executed in one color (I'm not even sure I've seen a paper use that logo in B&W) and I'm not sure why they felt the need to do that on this uniform. That design choice confuses me.

As for my "Valueless critique", I highlighted the specifics that - seemingly - have no bearing in ND history or tradition. Perhaps 'thought' is the wrong word, how about 'clearly constructed design choices', does that hold some value?

Good uniform design - at least in my opinion - flows from a team's identity and tradition. The concepts, however modern or traditional, shouldn't appear out of thin air, but rather have some semblance of continuity to previous ideas/traditions. Colleges are not professional teams, they do not move, they do not rebrand (not in the overhaul/Cleveland Browns > Baltimore Ravens sense). The University is constant and the uniforms, in at least some sense, should reflect that.

With a team steeped in tradition - especially a tradition that is know for having both literal and figurative "Golden Domes" - it behooves the designers to realize that ignoring that tradition is the last thing one should do.

What I find “valueless” is your defense of these uniforms as though you were the design meetings, because unless you know something we don’t, I can’t find a single reason to excuse those helmets.

All that said, again, I think those jerseys were fine and are a lateral move, if not better, than the current home unis.

EDIT:

Let me put it mathmatically: If A is the old design B is the reason for the changes and C is the new design, even if I don't know the value of B I think I should be able to figure out how A + B = C

With these ND unis, I can't figure out, for the life of me, what B was other than "change" and "bizarre" for "change" and "Bizarre"'s sake...

I think it was a good choice to use white logos because all the other trim is white, and the uniform maintains that continuity as a result of that choice. That's why every logo has a one-color option; occasionally you need to use it because a full color logo just doesn't fit the bill 100% of the time. The uniform as a whole would have too much visual noise if the logos were full color.

I think your theory about what makes a good uniform there is spot on, but I think it's off-base when it comes to this uniform. In my eyes, as an alternate uniform this is actually one of the best examples we've seen when it comes to maintaining continuity, but I think you have to look at it a bit differently. Certainly it's easy to get caught up in and focus on the asymmetry, the large blue fields and the oversized logos and say, "How does any of that say Notre Dame? I think the choice to essentially only change half the uniform, however, is what keeps that link to Notre Dame tradition. I mean, they still do have golden domes, but the catch it that it depends on your perspective. It's an extreme departure when you look at it from the right, but it's familiar and classic on the other side, as if to say, "What might the Notre Dame of the future look like? Is it the sleek all blue with gold trim, or is it the same old Irish you've always loved?" It's a pretty innovative way of approaching the concept, and the result is a dynamic look that changes depending on your viewpoint. That's something we haven't seen all too often, which I found refreshing. I think on the surface, it's not hard to dismiss it as a clunker, but when you think a little deeper about it and what the overarching concept might represent, the amount of 'thought' there becomes readily apparent.

I think it all comes down to this: does underrated mean, 'doesn't get the recognition it deserves' or does it mean, 'is evauated lower than it should be.'

Uniforms we will, unfortunately, wear this weekend against LSU:

669209753_zps07571ced.jpg

Very disappointing. How come a company like Under Armour can't put together a competent design staff and compete with at least the cohesive things Nike brings to the table?

There is no connectivity in this design at all. Standard jersey with grey replaced...same exact classic helmet...and then very busy pants that don't mesh well at all with the jersey. Total trainwreck.

2 weeks ago, I did a mock up of what I thought they MAY look like...not exactly what I wanted, but just a guess. You can see them if you'd like:

ua031512usc_zpsc7353dc4.jpg

Archived