College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Couldn't disagree more. Purposly losing an official school color on the uniform for the sake of looking "old school" is trite.

It's not "losing" a school color. The rest of the helmet is still red. The jersey is still red.

And the facemask is no longer red, nor is it yellow. That's the loss of a school color on a uniform element, for a dubious reason.

and the shoes are black, so I guess that counts too? They could be red or yellow but they're not.

Well actually...

505e99bcdff85.preview-620.jpg

Suddenly, the grey facemask makes perfect sense because it's repeated on the shoes. It's now an accent color on the uniform. Grey gloves would complete the perfect ensemble. Simple fixes for perceived problems.

The grey works becaus it makes the Trojan pop. The contrast also draws the eye into the helmet and the red and yellow. The all red facemask is nice, but it makes the uniform blend, and the Trojan logo is sort of adrift and gets lost in the predominant red.

That's a good way of justifying it and it's the reason I love grey facemasks, tan pants, and leather-colored helmets when applicable. Using those neutrals makes the team colors that are there really stand out and seem much more vibrant.

ive held that philosophy for years too, and am surprised by how many people don't feel that way. but, what are ya gonna do . . .

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the gray facemask looks WAYYY better. Not even close IMO especially with the new uniforms. The older set looked like it belonged on the box for those Popsicles, idk what they're called. But my point is they looked generic. Now I think they look great though I'll admit they're one of the teams that looked better without colored socks/cleats.

What was Tommy Trojan?

SC.jpg

tommytrojanicon.jpg

It was an one-and-done helmet; however, the odd thing is that the Tommy logo is used in almost ALL of the merchandise for USC, at least at a higher ratio than the helmet logo.

I believe it lasted for a whole year in the early 90s, but people didn't like the way it looked. If they had used the version in the above logo instead of the inverted color version the ended up using (as you see in the photograph), there would have been less complaints. It's the inverted image the looks weird.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

What was Tommy Trojan?

SC.jpg

tommytrojanicon.jpg

It was an one-and-done helmet; however, the odd thing is that the Tommy logo is used in almost ALL of the merchandise for USC, at least at a higher ratio than the helmet logo.

I believe it lasted for a whole year in the early 90s, but people didn't like the way it looked. If they had used the version in the above logo instead of the inverted color version the ended up using (as you see in the photograph), there would have been less complaints. It's the inverted image the looks weird.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. The helmet looks horrible whereas the logo below is stunning. Maybe a heavier outline would be needed but all in all, a much better version.

Couldn't disagree more. Purposly losing an official school color on the uniform for the sake of looking "old school" is trite.

It's not "losing" a school color. The rest of the helmet is still red. The jersey is still red.

And the facemask is no longer red, nor is it yellow. That's the loss of a school color on a uniform element, for a dubious reason.

and the shoes are black, so I guess that counts too? They could be red or yellow but they're not.

Well actually...

505e99bcdff85.preview-620.jpg

Suddenly, the grey facemask makes perfect sense because it's repeated on the shoes. It's now an accent color on the uniform. Grey gloves would complete the perfect ensemble. Simple fixes for perceived problems.

The grey works becaus it makes the Trojan pop. The contrast also draws the eye into the helmet and the red and yellow. The all red facemask is nice, but it makes the uniform blend, and the Trojan logo is sort of adrift and gets lost in the predominant red.

That's a good way of justifying it and it's the reason I love grey facemasks, tan pants, and leather-colored helmets when applicable. Using those neutrals makes the team colors that are there really stand out and seem much more vibrant.

ive held that philosophy for years too, and am surprised by how many people don't feel that way. but, what are ya gonna do . . .

And this is an odd point but regarding the Trojans the gray makes me think of the color of a sword or armor. I know that doesn't seem very substantial; although as mentioned, it's a neutral color that allows the red and yellow to work.

GR30a5H.png

What was Tommy Trojan?

SC.jpg

tommytrojanicon.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. The helmet looks horrible whereas the logo below is stunning. Maybe a heavier outline would be needed but all in all, a much better version.

The trojans current helmet logo is reversed as well. The current logo, however, seems to maintain a sort of vintage charm in being reversed, whereas the Tommy Trojan logo just looked like a mistake. I don't like the idea of using an outline on Tommy Trojan, either. It just didn't work for me either way .

The 'correct' logo:

USC_helmet.gif

What's actually on the helmet:

uscspeed.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What was Tommy Trojan?

SC.jpg

tommytrojanicon.jpg

The trojans current helmet logo is reversed as well. The current logo, however, seems to maintain a sort of vintage charm in being reversed, whereas the Tommy Trojan logo just looked like a mistake. I don't like the idea of using an outline on Tommy Trojan, either. It just didn't work for me either way .

The 'correct' logo:

USC_helmet.gif

uscspeed.jpg

Actually, it's probably reversed because otherwise the outline of the logo would disappear. I don't think it has anything with USC trying to look vintage.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

What was Tommy Trojan?

SC.jpg

tommytrojanicon.jpg

The 'correct' logo:

USC_helmet.gif

uscspeed.jpg

Actually, it's probably reversed because otherwise the outline of the logo would disappear. I don't think it has anything with USC trying to look vintage.

That might not be why they do it, but that's the only reason it works. The correctly colored logo works fine without an outline.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

looks good to me

usc.png

You can't judge how it would look on the helmet from a close up when you filled in the background on MS Paint.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

looks good to me

usc.png

You can't judge how it would look on the helmet from a close up when you filled in the background on MS Paint.

maybe you cant, but i can. Andrew can. hell, i think most can, i mean what more do you need to see?

. . . and i used PS, c'mon man. but maybe this helps

usc2.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Is this the first time Northwestern has worn the black pants on the road with the new uniforms? It doesn't look bad but they do look a little out of place. And Minnesota loss great with their classic maroon/maroon/good combo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Is this the first time Northwestern has worn the black pants on the road with the new uniforms? It doesn't look bad but they do look a little out of place. And Minnesota loss great with their classic maroon/maroon/good combo.

Yes. And boy am I glad these schools are dressed like this today. Reminds me of this:

I love the black pants on Northwestern and the whole combo on Minnesota.

I hate the combo on Virginia Tech.

I hate the player name color on Rutgers.

Ole Miss needs more than a gray helmet, I believe they could use a new uniform, not modern, but new traditional.

I love the look of Duke (blue-white-white) today.

I like the helmet and pants stripe on Syracuse, but there is something about their uniform that I just hate.

I wish Louisville would break out the red pants on the road as they would look better with a white jersey as compared to this.

spacer.png

Archived