College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

I've read on an Illinois board that the new uniforms next year are part of a rebrand that will be implemented over two years. I haven't seen anything official from Nike or the athletic department on it yet, maybe someone else has.

Yes. There was a tweet about a month ago from some local media where teh AD confirmed they would be starting the process soon (early 2013, I think) and hope to have the new identity and new football uniforms for the 2014 season.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks decent to me. yea black is a school color so they're "allowed" to use it but it still feels like a BFBS uniform because everyone who does black, does it like this. purple pants would be a nice touch here

Actually, it's not one of their school colors. They have used it for much of the last 20 years, but their only offical colors are purple and white.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but why is it so difficult to get the shades of gold on Notre Dame's pants and helmets (along with those of many other teams) to at least look similar? I know they probably can't match perfectly since it's a painted helmet shell vs. a fabric, but still. They could at least try.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

looks decent to me. yea black is a school color so they're "allowed" to use it but it still feels like a BFBS uniform because everyone who does black, does it like this. purple pants would be a nice touch here

Actually, it's not one of their school colors. They have used it for much of the last 20 years, but their only offical colors are purple and white.

Black has been an unofficial official color (basically an official color of the sports department but not the university) for 20 years. Northwestern - in all sports - has a long history in black. It was BFBS but is now just a part of the school's history.

To me it's analogous to the Lady Vols' use of blue.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but why is it so difficult to get the shades of gold on Notre Dame's pants and helmets (along with those of many other teams) to at least look similar? I know they probably can't match perfectly since it's a painted helmet shell vs. a fabric, but still. They could at least try.

Well here I think it would be entirely impractical to try to match them. The new lid was intentionally designed to replicate the Golden Dome which made it much more shiny and vibrant. If they ever tried to match that look on the pants, I would probably be blinded because no pants should ever look that shiny. It would look awful.

We're continuing to tweak our helmet options. This week @ Duke, white w/navy facemask:

A5VyidnCEAEEMcv.jpg

:( I was wondering how far this would go. Win a few games, keeping the white lids is fine. I'd much rather see a Carolina Blue facemask, heck, even a gray facemask before they used a Navy one. The Navy is just to strong of a contrast.

:( I was wondering how far this would go. Win a few games, keeping the white lids is fine. I'd much rather see a Carolina Blue facemask, heck, even a gray facemask before they used a Navy one. The Navy is just to strong of a contrast.

I agree, though I think from straight on it may look better, and with either our navy jerseys and/or pants, the contrast could be lessened.

I could be mistaken, but I believe this is the first time Temple has used red pants with this home uniform set.

2nrf2wl.jpg

2upwinm.jpg

They wear white at home?

No they played at UConn.

I could be mistaken, but I believe this is the first time Temple has used red pants with this home uniform set.

2nrf2wl.jpg

2upwinm.jpg

They wear white at home?

No they played at UConn.

I thought so. That's why I was confused about the statement above the pic.

Well here I think it would be entirely impractical to try to match them. The new lid was intentionally designed to replicate the Golden Dome which made it much more shiny and vibrant. If they ever tried to match that look on the pants, I would probably be blinded because no pants should ever look that shiny. It would look awful.

I think the problem is that the helmets are so shiny they range from almost a white/silver to a dark brown with a few shades in between as opposed to matte helmets which usually dont have a lot of color range. So naturally it's not gonna be simple or even possible to soidly match the helmet and pants.

i could be wrong though, if anyone wants to do a photoshop mockup of them matching that would be interesting to see.

I for one LOVE the pants, they look retro and i totally dig it.

Oh and regarding their facemasks, it appears, and from reading the tweet it seems that they probably just added gold flakes to grey paint or something along those lines to give it a gold shine.

The lighting gives the facemasks a gold hue in that pic, but the facemasks were actually the regular gray facemasks.

http://www.gettyimag...photo/154136747

Nah, they are gold. Here is a photo of the equipment managers putting them on with a grey one right next to it:

A1J96BKCcAEypYy.jpg

Here is the tweet: https://twitter.com/...392165858537475

Interesting. I apologize for being wrong (and if the tweet was already covered).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think what he might be saying is that, if you took the helmet's gold hue and turned that into a flat color, it wouldn't look anything their current pants.

I don't mind the look personally.

The helmet has a nearly chrome-like appearance, which means it's going to be blown out by highlights and reflect very dark shadows. The base color of the helmet is probably the pant color, but the finish gives it a very broad spectrum is all (otherwise, why would it have been advertised before the season that the pant color was changing to a hue that better matches the helmet?). Shiny fabric is evidently not what people want to wear (must not be as breathable, light or whatever; I'm not sure).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think the problem is that the helmets are so shiny they range from almost a white/silver to a dark brown with a few shades in between as opposed to matte helmets which usually dont have a lot of color range. So naturally it's not gonna be simple or even possible to soidly match the helmet and pants.

i could be wrong though, if anyone wants to do a photoshop mockup of them matching that would be interesting to see.

I for one LOVE the pants, they look retro and i totally dig it.

Oh and regarding their facemasks, it appears, and from reading the tweet it seems that they probably just added gold flakes to grey paint or something along those lines to give it a gold shine.

The gold is actually in the "dip" that is used to coat the facemasks. USC and Baylor have also used this glitter dip on their masks. There's a company out of SC who is reconditioning helmet masks for many NCAA and NFL teams doing this.

StadiumSig.gif

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Hawaii wore their green jerseys for the first time this season (of the current UA design) this past Saturday. Since Norm Chow became the head coach, he removed the player's names from the back of the jersey and for this past game had "Imua" in its place (Hawaiian for "go forward") in huge honking letters. I also noticed that the under shirt has the "tattoo" design on the sleeves, just like the shoulders and odd pants panel.

20121013-new-mexico-0250_dsc0342.jpg

20121013-new-mexico-0592_dsc9133.jpg

*Photos from the Nakoa website.

Archived