College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Colorado State to Under Armour

http://www.coloradoa...PORTS/311150040

Instant downgrade, IMO. However, we'll see what kind of direction UA takes...

That brings up the discussion I wish we could have more insight into. Exactly how much do Universities really want to become more like flagships such as Maryland and Oregon? Has the culture changed so much in CFB that teams are actually wanting to pursue being the team with many uniform combinations?

How much does that factor into teams like Colorado jumping ship from manufacturer to manufacturer? Did UA promise Colorado more love than Nike was giving them in that department?

one big difference is that UA also makes shoes/cleats...as others have said they may also have a better support/marketing team that csu found valuable...let's also fact it that russell is not a cool brand in the eyes of collegiate athletes.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Russell set for Ohio is ten-thousand times better than half of the Under Armor monstrosities.

For that matter, it's also better than a bunch of Nike and Adidas schools, too.

134593337_display_image.jpg?1323107584

Tim wins. You can't blindly say that everything by a particular manufacturer is inherently good or bad.

The one thing that needs to be pointed out here is that while this is a great-looking uniform design, it is not a Russell proprietary uniform design—it's a standard square-yoke shoulder hoop jersey Russell just happens to produce. EDIT: guest23 beat me to it.

This, however, IS a Russell proprietary design:

OU_Marshall_07_jh.widea.jpg

And I think that's the point Clif, guest23 and several others have alluded to in terms of an upgrade in visual quality. You have the basic stuff all manufacturers produce (like the first Ohio uniform above)...and then you have the unique proprietary stuff each manufacturer does that sets them apart from each other/distinguishes their "mark" on the field (or court)—and it's our preferences about those aspects that then ranks the manufacturers in our minds, like that list Clif provided.

Based off that line of logic, I think it's fair to assume that Colorado State's next on-field/on-court visual identity will be a marked upgrade over their current ones—especially considering the majority of us pretty much view Russell as tbe bottom rung of the "Big 4" manufacturers.

Now, as for my personal opinion on all this...I don't believe Colorado State has any desire to be the next Maryland, South Carolina, or even Auburn—all three of which are UA's flagships (I think Auburn still is, anyway). I think Russell may have intended for Colorado State to be one of its flagships (the other being Georgia Tech, of course)—and if I remember right, Russell did choose Colorado State to debut that "tesselation" template (the second Ohio uniform above—and "tesselation" is just what I call it for S&Gs). But it's possible Colorado State saw what UA just did for Northwestern and felt UA could produce a similarly effective visual identity for them as well. In fact I HOPE that's the direction UA and Colorado State opt to take...something unique to the program/institution that's simplistic yet distinctive without being overly gaudy (for which by and large UA has a well-established reputation).

One other thing...Miami and FAMU are the only other two programs I know of whose colors are green and orange...I've long hoped Colorado State would reconsider tebranding itself under their unique "pumpkin and alfalfa"—with just a splash of gold worked in. (Think San Francisco Giants to get an idea—they've proven that this can work.) If done right, I think that would be the perfect way to not only distinguish themselves ftom their in-state rivals 20 or 30-something miles south down I-25 (especially since they also use gold as a primary color), but to set themselves apart from every other program in the country and really establish a visual presence that'll force people to find and keep tabs on Fort Collins for once. :P

Perhaps I may get to drumming up some concept ideas next time I have some free time.....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This Russell set for Ohio is ten-thousand times better than half of the Under Armor monstrosities.

Tim wins. You can't blindly say that everything by a particular manufacturer is inherently good or bad.

The Ohio uniforms are one of only two good uniform sets Russell's made in recent memory, the other being Georgia Tech's new look. Even then, Ohio's old Adidas uniforms were better.

Russell barely even tries for most teams. Either they go uber-plain or they lazily fill in one of their ugly templates. It's a shame, because they were one of the better manufacturers back when they kept things simple but experimented with stuff like custom fonts and patterned jacquard trim.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Except not. There's nothing good about Georgia Tech's uniforms.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Ohio uniforms are one of only two good uniform sets Russell's made in recent memory, the other being Georgia Tech's new look. Even then, Ohio's old Adidas uniforms were better.

Russell barely even tries for most teams. Either they go uber-plain or they lazily fill in one of their ugly templates. It's a shame, because they were one of the better manufacturers back when they kept things simple but experimented with stuff like custom fonts and patterned jacquard trim.

Whaaa??

Whaaa??

Actually Ohio and Western Kentucky are arguably Russell's best looks. The are however, exactly the same uniforms.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I actually think Russell improved ULL's look:

ULL.jpg

Which template (and color) wise, look remarkably similar to:

7b4c00c0arrick_dunn.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Personal observations/opinions for this Air Force vs. Hawaii game...

I think if Air Force had a matching gray (or whatever color we're saying that is) helmet, this look would be better. I think the white helmet looks high schoolish with the blue combo.

Also, not a fan of Hawaii's uniforms at all. First time seeing them live, but the different blackish/dark greenish/green sections look off.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Personal observations/opinions for this Air Force vs. Hawaii game...

I think if Air Force had a matching gray (or whatever color we're saying that is) helmet, this look would be better. I think the white helmet looks high schoolish with the blue combo.

Also, not a fan of Hawaii's uniforms at all. First time seeing them live, but the different blackish/dark greenish/green sections look off.

Air Force's uniforms would be improved significantly by reducing the grey/silver to trim.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

But historical track record is not a guarantee of future performance - only an indicator. Russell could conceivably create the best uniform in the history of football. It's unlikely, but it's impossible to tell.

It's like Schrodinger's Cat, only in this case Phil Knight is inside the box.

I instantly wanted to say Bazinga!

the ohio uniform is essentially a generic ucla striped template that is no different from the nike lsu/va tech...in addition ucla stripes have been around since at least the 1940's.

judging by past work russell is good at two designs:

- plain/no stripes

- ucla stripes

pretty sad for a uniform company.

Maybe Russell could carve themselves a niche by signing on with a bunch of traditionally-branded teams, Looking at Ohio makes me REALLY wish they could snag UCLA from adidas.

Archived