College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

I wish Illinois would put the circle "I" on the helmet or just the "I". I have never liked their script.

The university also doesn't have the rights to that logo, Nike owns it...

That may be true, but they could bypass that by going with the very similar 1915 logo which Illinois does actually own. I just feel like a Big Ten school should have something more than their name across the helmet.

k4vxuq.jpg

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish Illinois would put the circle "I" on the helmet or just the "I". I have never liked their script.

The university also doesn't have the rights to that logo, Nike owns it...

That may be true, but they could bypass that by going with the very similar 1915 logo which Illinois does actually own. I just feel like a Big Ten school should have something more than their name across the helmet.

k4vxuq.jpg

I have always liked this Circle I logo more than Nike's. Nike has actually used this logo on some of their apparel. I almost bought a Nike jacket with this logo.

Do any Illinois fans or people in the know think that they'll be getting some sort of new look this year? For a team that's gotten a modern Nike design a while ago, I'm surprised that we haven't seen them give us something new. There have been Pro Combat banners around the stadium in the past, so maybe a new coach is the time to get an upgrade (at least material-wise) for Illinois. And with Beckman's "Only Orange" tagline I wouldn't be surprised to see them wear orange a little more than in the past.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Damnit Baylor...

6736468353_510e9ff6d3_o.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Do any Illinois fans or people in the know think that they'll be getting some sort of new look this year? For a team that's gotten a modern Nike design a while ago, I'm surprised that we haven't seen them give us something new. There have been Pro Combat banners around the stadium in the past, so maybe a new coach is the time to get an upgrade (at least material-wise) for Illinois. And with Beckman's "Only Orange" tagline I wouldn't be surprised to see them wear orange a little more than in the past.

We're definitely due. I believe it's been 5 years since an update.

What's the point of the flywire on the collar? I've always been curious about that.

Also, bravo to BYU for doing what so many other schools should do: taking a design that works and adapting it to fit Nike's template instead of going for some crazy design.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That Minnesota video I think shows a good example of how Nike takes all the proper steps to create nice things, but falls short in the execution because of their overarching philosophy. The designer found a great-looking 4 from the 1940s (Minnesota football's glory era). When he developed the rest of the font, though, instead of staying true to the era and extrapolating the numbers accordingly, he went all square and modern with it and created a Frankenstein set of letters and numbers that don't know what era they belong to. The only reason the black facemask isn't a huge mistake is because they're wearing black socks and shoes to coordinate with it, but it still looks a bit out of sorts given that there's no black anywhere else (even black belts would have helped). If you want black in there, put some freaking black in there. The brick pattern is just not unique enough to warrant its inclusion. The whole thing would be better without; it looks like they put it in there because they had to have something and couldn't think of a better or more unique element. Sometimes less is more. Oftentimes, actually.

This uniform would have been perfect with some crisp retro-block numerals based on that old 4, the old block M without the double outline, and a maroon or grey mask, and the elimination of the brick pattern.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What's the point of the flywire on the collar? I've always been curious about that.

Also, bravo to BYU for doing what so many other schools should do: taking a design that works and adapting it to fit Nike's template instead of going for some crazy design.

Flywire is very lightweight, yet has a higher tensile strength than Kevlar. Nike uses it in shoes and jerseys to add durability and cut weight.

Nobody ... I mean nobody ... circles the wagons like The Buffalo Bills

Flywire is very lightweight, yet has a higher tensile strength than Kevlar. Nike uses it in shoes and jerseys to add durability and cut weight.

Oh, that's good. Thanks.

Is that high-gloss tape they put over the stitching necessary though? It's rather distracting in the overall look of the jersey,

The point of the fly-wire on the collar (of the new speed machine uniforms) is to keep shoulder pads from poping out, which was happening more than normal with the original pro combat uniforms.

The point of the flywire on the shoulders of the original pro combat uniforms was so they could use less material there (to save weight) and still not worry about tearing (which normally happens on shoulders that don't have enough material).

Lots of rumors out there that A&M will be getting new unis for next season. New coach Kevin Sumlin has alluded to it several times, and a 2012 commit tweeted yesterday that Sumlin confirmed with him that the team will have new uniforms next season. Still with Adidas though.

Anyone hear if WVU will be making any uniform changes? With us going to the Big 12 I think now would be the perfect time. Plus we've had our current one's for 5 years! (An eternity in the world of NIKE).

Oh and any ideas or predictions on which teams will get the Pro Combat treatment? I could see USC finally getting one for sure. Especially since they're expected to be back on the map so to speak this fall.

90758391980.gif

Archived