College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

560613_418856701467715_235836003103120_1374267_1160913598_n.jpg

Via Bowling Greens facebook

And the matte trend continues. I actually like this helmet, and I think the matte actually helps here. Shiny orange just looks bad.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the matte trend continues. I actually like this helmet, and I think the matte actually helps here. Shiny orange just looks bad.

I'm suprised bg went matte, I'm hoping new helmets mean new jersey

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

I can't understand why everyone doesn't see how bad a shiney decal looks on a matte helmet. I'd be interested in seeing a flat matte helmet (preferably black, which is about the only color that makes it semi-tolerable) with no decal, just a plain shell.

I can't understand why everyone doesn't see how bad a shiney decal looks on a matte helmet. I'd be interested in seeing a flat matte helmet (preferably black, which is about the only color that makes it semi-tolerable) with no decal, just a plain shell.

Because people have different tastes. I personally like the contrast.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I agree. The matte helmets look awful. I hate the way the decals stick out as obviously being a decal rather than looking like it's a part of the helmet.

I love the matte orange, but the Falcons need to go back to a white facemask and just the BG logo on the helmet, the BG-falcon head combo is just too busy for a helmet decal.

maehl.png

The helmet looks nice in the pic, but I bet it'll look a little weak on the field when you see the glossy logo, bright sun/lights, the shiny parts of the uniform, and the other team's glossy type helmet.

Which is my problem with most, if not all, matte paint jobs.

KISSwall09.jpg

Not a fan of the contrast, either, unless it's a shiny black decal on a matte black helmet, for instance.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yep. I think I've said this before, but I remember an ESPN Oregon broadcast in which the Ducks were wearing the carbon-white w/ silver numbers- grey combo. Todd Blackledge (I think) finally broke out of game commentary in around the 2nd quarter and said something like "I'm sorry, but I've got to say it. This isn't Oregon. Oregon is green and yellow! You've got the AFL Oakland Raiders running around out here instead."

The way I see it, Oregon tries WAY too hard to be cool. The modern design elements they use are truly fantastic. When they wear green and yellow, they are quite possibly the best looking team in the nation. It's when they turn around and go LOOK RECRUITS WE HAZ KEWL CARBON STUFFS AND VOLT STUFFS LOL that the brand really suffers. They don't need it. Green and yellow is an awesome enough scheme that when paired with thier sharp modern elements, they stand out in a good way enough. There's your brand right there. That's it, all you need. Everything else is a gimmick.

This sums up my feelings on the subject. Well said knnhrvy.

I'm tired of this multi-helmet trend.

Really? We couldn't tell. :rolleyes:

How is it a good thing when a team wears a different helmet for every game of the season? When does it become too much?

Now, I know no team has actually worn a different helmet for every game, but Oregon was very close last year. They wore eight different helmets. I'm sure it'll get to the point where they will wear 13 different helmets throughout a season. When is enough enough? Is impressing teenagers with no attention span really worth diluting your brand that much?

If those teenagers are the people who are playing football, then yes, yes it is.

And even so, it's not diluting the brand if it's the same style. Color is not as strong of a brand as it used to be. Many teams use maroon, and many teams use gold. But no other team has the same style uniform as ASU. That's the what's important. Now, if they had 6 different helmets that all had different logos and helmet stripes, then yes, I would call that diluting the brand. But they don't. They're different colors, but the style is the same, which in this day and age, is what matteres. In my opinion, color is an outdated form of identity that is imposible to build around.

Sorry, I disagree. Using this line of thinking, what's stopping Oregon from debuting red and black uniforms? After all, according to your "colour isn't as important as design" theory that should be ok as long as they use the O and wings.

Oregon doesn't necessarily use non school colors, i see it more as broadening their color palette. All their colors have fallen in between black and white which "technically" are neutral colors, and green and yellow, which are the official school colors. Yes, they've used all sorts of shades of green and yellow, and even a combination(volt), but since the wings were introduced, they've been instantly recognizable, and all the color combinations are unique. No one relevant in the NCAA uses a black/gray scheme, or a yellow/gray or a black/yellow or grren/black, etc. If i see a red and black team i'll see all sorts of teams:uga, tech, utah, rutgers(before this year.) New mexico, etc. But if i were to see a black and red team with wings on their shoulders and an o on their helmet my first thought will be "they copied oregon". Why? because oregon has made a strong brand/image.

Yep. I think I've said this before, but I remember an ESPN Oregon broadcast in which the Ducks were wearing the carbon-white w/ silver numbers- grey combo. Todd Blackledge (I think) finally broke out of game commentary in around the 2nd quarter and said something like "I'm sorry, but I've got to say it. This isn't Oregon. Oregon is green and yellow! You've got the AFL Oakland Raiders running around out here instead."

The way I see it, Oregon tries WAY too hard to be cool. The modern design elements they use are truly fantastic. When they wear green and yellow, they are quite possibly the best looking team in the nation. It's when they turn around and go LOOK RECRUITS WE HAZ KEWL CARBON STUFFS AND VOLT STUFFS LOL that the brand really suffers. They don't need it. Green and yellow is an awesome enough scheme that when paired with thier sharp modern elements, they stand out in a good way enough. There's your brand right there. That's it, all you need. Everything else is a gimmick.

This sums up my feelings on the subject. Well said knnhrvy.

I'm tired of this multi-helmet trend.

Really? We couldn't tell. :rolleyes:

How is it a good thing when a team wears a different helmet for every game of the season? When does it become too much?

Now, I know no team has actually worn a different helmet for every game, but Oregon was very close last year. They wore eight different helmets. I'm sure it'll get to the point where they will wear 13 different helmets throughout a season. When is enough enough? Is impressing teenagers with no attention span really worth diluting your brand that much?

If those teenagers are the people who are playing football, then yes, yes it is.

And even so, it's not diluting the brand if it's the same style. Color is not as strong of a brand as it used to be. Many teams use maroon, and many teams use gold. But no other team has the same style uniform as ASU. That's the what's important. Now, if they had 6 different helmets that all had different logos and helmet stripes, then yes, I would call that diluting the brand. But they don't. They're different colors, but the style is the same, which in this day and age, is what matteres. In my opinion, color is an outdated form of identity that is imposible to build around.

Sorry, I disagree. Using this line of thinking, what's stopping Oregon from debuting red and black uniforms? After all, according to your "colour isn't as important as design" theory that should be ok as long as they use the O and wings.

Nothing apparently. Just look at my picture. :P

In all seriousness, it's because it would be rejected by just about every single person in the University. Nike is not stupid. But actually, i think my picture proves a point. Even though it's black and red, I can't think of anyone else but Oregon when I see that. That's how powerful their identity is.

Maybe Oregon should just change uniforms for every drive. I mean, color is meaningless, so why not?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Maybe Oregon should just change uniforms for every drive. I mean, color is meaningless, so why not?

Because it's inconvinient. I bet you that in the future, someone will wear a uniform that changes color, and it'll probabley be Oregon.

No, because I'm pretty sure that would violate some NCAA rule.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

i didnt realize what color you wore determined whether you won a game or not ; its really not that big of a deal ; they thought it was boring wearing the same color and combo every week andd decided to differentiate whether its wearing pink, carbon, purple, or whatever ; they built a brand around that and plus nike is paying them big to advertise all of their new "enhancements"

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

No, because I'm pretty sure that would violate some NCAA rule.

And changing uniform each drive wouldn't?

In all seriousness, it's because it would be rejected by just about every single person in the University. Nike is not stupid. But actually, i think my picture proves a point. Even though it's black and red, I can't think of anyone else but Oregon when I see that. That's how powerful their identity is.

Well if you watched any other spring games, most teams had there QB's wearing red.....and if the only team you think of when you see a team wearing red and black then you need to start watching more football other then Oregon

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

Well if you watched any other spring games, most teams had there QB's wearing red.....and if the only team you think of when you see a team wearing red and black then you need to start watching more football other then Oregon

But nobody just looks at the colors. Uniforms are not just colors. You're asking me how I can look at red and black and think of Oregon. It's because it's isn't red and black. That is only part of the uniform. The main part is the design. It's red and black with an Oregon O, belloti bold numbers, and a wing pattern. I don't know how that's anyone else but Oregon.

But nobody just looks at the colors. Uniforms are not just colors. You're asking me how I can look at red and black and think of Oregon. It's because it's isn't red and black. That is only part of the uniform. The main part is the design. It's red and black with an Oregon O, belloti bold numbers, and a wing pattern. I don't know how that's anyone else but Oregon.

you must not watch high school football at all, where teams copy college logos and brands for their own

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Archived