College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Nothing apparently. Just look at my picture. :P

In all seriousness, it's because it would be rejected by just about every single person in the University. Nike is not stupid. But actually, i think my picture proves a point. Even though it's black and red, I can't think of anyone else but Oregon when I see that. That's how powerful their identity is.

Well if you watched any other spring games, most teams had there QB's wearing red.....and if the only team you think of when you see a team wearing red and black then you need to start watching more football other then Oregon

It's not just spring games. 99% of QBs at the college and pro levels wear red jerseys in practice.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, it's because it would be rejected by just about every single person in the University. Nike is not stupid. But actually, i think my picture proves a point. Even though it's black and red, I can't think of anyone else but Oregon when I see that. That's how powerful their identity is.

Well if you watched any other spring games, most teams had there QB's wearing red.....and if the only team you think of when you see a team wearing red and black then you need to start watching more football other then Oregon

But nobody just looks at the colors. Uniforms are not just colors. You're asking me how I can look at red and black and think of Oregon. It's because it's isn't red and black. That is only part of the uniform. The main part is the design. It's red and black with an Oregon O, belloti bold numbers, and a wing pattern. I don't know how that's anyone else but Oregon.

you must not watch high school football at all, where teams copy college logos and brands for their own

But that's high school. And I seriously can't tell which team is which most of the time (if the game is on TV).

But that is irrelevent. We're talking about college. Would you agree that color is not as strong of a uniform element now than it was 20-30 years ago? Back then, they NEEDED color to tell the teams apart. Now, there are schools that don't have to. Schools like Boise, Oregon, ASU, and now Mizzouri don't necessarily need to have uniforms in school colors because they have designs that are unique to them. School like Alabama, Penn State, and Houston (which has the cookie cutter old Missou template) NEED to have uniforms in school colors because otherwise, they could be mistaken for other schools. For example, if Alabama wore dark blue uniforms, they would look exaclty like Georgia Southern.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The Big Ten is going to add its logo to uniforms in the Fall, according to this article.

"Besides, she added, those clean, traditionally designed uniforms will be mucked up with a Big Ten logo this year. She didn?t exactly say mucked up. ?We have to have Big Ten branding on the uniforms this year moving forward. It was voted on by the member ADs,? is what she actually said, but the message was pretty clear: No one wants to start putting patches all over the place. Next thing you know, the Buckeyes jerseys will look like a NASCAR driver?s jumpsuit."

That disappoints me since I don't think it is necessary, but oh well, everyone else has done it.

Whats wrong with having the B1G decal on the front of them helmets like Ohio State does, and I know others do aswell

I'm guessing this means all teams will have the B1G patch on the front of the jersey as well as the helmet.

Yeah it just doesn't make sense...As long as the logo is the plain logo with no boxes or footballs or pennants etc.

Here is a pic of the new patch I came across:

ApvEYL4CIAEBCyD.jpg

But nobody just looks at the colors. Uniforms are not just colors. You're asking me how I can look at red and black and think of Oregon. It's because it's isn't red and black. That is only part of the uniform. The main part is the design. It's red and black with an Oregon O, belloti bold numbers, and a wing pattern. I don't know how that's anyone else but Oregon.

That's complete nonsense. That is exactly the very first thing everyone does when they turn on the TV. Who's playing? Cardinal and gold? Oh, USC. Navy blue and old gold? Right, Notre Dame. Carbon, black, and silver? Ummmmmm... huh? Well, if you're a member of this board, and think about this stuff a lot like we all do, you'd say "Oregon", and follow that up with "cool!" or "garbage!", depending on what you like in a uniform.

But if you're an average (meaning non-uniform obsessed) sports fan, you don't give two craps about branding, you haven't spent way too much time discussing this stuff on this board, you just want to know who's playing. And I assure you, many MANY of them have no idea who the hell they're looking at.

Does anyone want to jump back on the topic of what this thread is supposed to be about, College Football 2012 Season, and stop the argument that has lived in countless threads before this about "non-school colors" and Oregon... this is supposed to be an update to any new info about this upcoming season, not about bashing Oregon or any other school that tries something different...

That's complete nonsense. That is exactly the very first thing everyone does when they turn on the TV. Who's playing? Cardinal and gold? Oh, USC. Navy blue and old gold? Right, Notre Dame. Carbon, black, and silver? Ummmmmm... huh? Well, if you're a member of this board, and think about this stuff a lot like we all do, you'd say "Oregon", and follow that up with "cool!" or "garbage!", depending on what you like in a uniform.

But if you're an average (meaning non-uniform obsessed) sports fan, you don't give two craps about branding, you haven't spent way too much time discussing this stuff on this board, you just want to know who's playing. And I assure you, many MANY of them have no idea who the hell they're looking at.

ivar-vong-oregon-ducks-football-arizona-state-05.jpg

You're going to tell me that people are going to confuse that look with another team? The wings will instantly tell them it's Oregon.

But even then, the more I think about it, the more I think that's it's a moot point anyway. Do you actually think that the average fan is going to spend more then 8 seconds (at the very most) determining which team is playing? The first place most people look is the scoreboard. They instantly know whos playing because of that, and unless both teams are wearing uniforms that are compeltely devoid of school colors or unique design elements (which I don't think has ever happened), by simple process of elimination (which would take literally 2 seconds) they can determine "Oh, well ASU is wearing maroon, and they have the pitchfork on their helmet, so the other team must be Oregon.". And please for the love of god, don't say "Well, that makes them do extra work!". Are you really arguing that 2 seconds to determine which team is playing is actually of any signifigance? Really?

Does anyone want to jump back on the topic of what this thread is supposed to be about, College Football 2012 Season, and stop the argument that has lived in countless threads before this about "non-school colors" and Oregon... this is supposed to be an update to any new info about this upcoming season, not about bashing Oregon or any other school that tries something different...

Now, i know this might be a bit rude, but

U-must-be-new-here.jpg

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

No, just fed up with the same argument any time a team has more than three uniform combos. And looking at that ASU look, the copper helmet will fit pretty well. Much better than the white helmet which may be banned by now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

No, because I'm pretty sure that would violate some NCAA rule.

And the unis would cost a year's wages to replace.

And they'd need replacement after every game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Regarding Arizona copper helmet: What...the...heck. No. No. No.

Regarding Oregon identity argument: 1) Can we please start another thread for this aimless nonsense? 2) I don't think anyone needs to complain about the inconsistency of uniforms because people won't know who they are looking at. Scorebugs exist on every telecast, so that argument really holds no ground at all. My problem is with all of the recurring white, black, and anthricate/grey elements that are melting so many identities together. It dilutes the justification for identity that we all on this board enjoy. Oregon, to me, is an exception because it was the first to build its brand on change. I guess some other teams can get away with it too, and its hard to see where to draw the line.

In isolation, the ideal situation would be for teams to have more awareness for what makes them them. A lot of teams are making generic changes for the sake of change, instead of taking time to look back and make changes that complement the team identity.

Well no :censored: you can tell when you see the O on the helmet...and the numbers used in the spring game weren't Belloti Bold :D

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

Maybe Nike is planning a copper vs. copper matchup for Arizona and Arizona St.?

Copper uniforms would make sense for both Arizona and Arizona State since 2012 is Arizona's centennial. I'm guessing that's what these are for.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

...Schools like Alabama, Penn State, and Houston (which has the cookie cutter old Missou template) NEED to have uniforms in school colors because otherwise, they could be mistaken for other schools. For example, if Alabama wore dark blue uniforms, they would look exactly like Georgia Southern.

Which is precisely why the wearing of non-school color is ridiculous. It's just a way to flash some capitalism. It's not respectful of the institution that the team represents. Oregon football does a hell of a lot of advertising for Nike, but they aren't doing the University of Oregon's brand any favors by eschewing their green and yellow color palette week in and week out, which is backwards. They should be representing the university before they can even think about pimping the company that sends them shirts. It's just getting to a point that's so far beyond acceptable that it's become a parody of itself.

And I really don't want to hear, "Well, Nike pays them a lot of money, so they *should* get some free advertising out of the deal!" Guess what? The University pays them as well, by providing the framework for the team to even exist.

You're going to tell me that people are going to confuse that look with another team? The wings will instantly tell them it's Oregon.

People don't generally watch games from this range. This is what your average legendary alumnus or line judge sees. many people watch these games at houses. Many watch them at bars where they only see the highlights, just the standard zoomed out shot of the action, and without the ability to hear the sound. Not everyone has the luxury of watching every game at home on his 42-incher with Brent Musberger in his ear. That's why color is important for everyone. If I would have seen these highlights from across the bar, I would have wondered why the Raiders were playing on Saturday.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

ApvEYL4CIAEBCyD.jpg

OK... what the hell??

Apparently Donald's been hitting the gym! The patch is what I expect all Big Ten teams to wear. Those using the flash should switch over too. This looks better than that.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

...Schools like Alabama, Penn State, and Houston (which has the cookie cutter old Missou template) NEED to have uniforms in school colors because otherwise, they could be mistaken for other schools. For example, if Alabama wore dark blue uniforms, they would look exactly like Georgia Southern.

Which is precisely why the wearing of non-school color is ridiculous. It's just a way to flash some capitalism. It's not respectful of the institution that the team represents. Oregon football does a hell of a lot of advertising for Nike, but they aren't doing the University of Oregon's brand any favors by eschewing their green and yellow color palette week in and week out, which is backwards. They should be representing the university before they can even think about pimping the company that sends them shirts. It's just getting to a point that's so far beyond acceptable that it's become a parody of itself.

People don't generally watch games from this range. This is what your average legendary alumnus or line judge sees. many people watch these games at houses. Many watch them at bars where they only see the highlights, just the standard zoomed out shot of the action, and without the ability to hear the sound. Not everyone has the luxury of watching every game at home on his 42-incher with Brent Musberger in his ear. That's why color is important for everyone. If I would have seen these highlights from across the bar, I would have wondered why the Raiders were playing on Saturday.

I wasn't saying that it was good, i was just saying that's how it is.

As to the other point, here's a more realistic photo

0.jpg

Now let's compare that to the Raiders (best picture I could find to illustrate my point)

681746.jpg

I don't know about you, but they look nothing a like to me. The big neon piping around Oregons numbers are very visable, and instantly destroy any thought that the Raiders could be playing. Not only that, but the yellow O is very visable and very un-Raider like.

Archived