College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

The patch looks alright on the gophers jersey

The fact that there is not a trace of white anywhere else on the jersey makes it look terrible.

Kevin W. would flip :censored:.

I want to see Arizona go with an Arizona Wranglers type look. They'd be able to include school colors and copper in one look.

I've thought for a long time that either one of the Arizona schools should try to incorporate all of the flag's colors into their uniforms... hell, both of them already use two of the colors.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N/m, I've been beat to it.

Btw, is it too far fetched to just say black is in fact now one of Oregon's school colors? Their basketball team wears black also, it's not like this is just a football thing. The day Oregon comes out in orange I'll agree with you Oregon bashers that they should stick with their school colors. But as of right now, I think they are.

They don't need to come out in orange...volt already took 'em overboard.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Whoever photoshopped that Arizona helmet did a terrible job. That decal is slanted forward way too much.

Agreed. I'm sure it was a fan (as opposed to someone actually affiliated with the project) that did it after news broke, bc why would Arizona use an internet template to do it?

a3d843ef_display_image.png

Man, I was confused as to why the Raiders were playing a college team on Oregon's field, with the ticker saying it's Oregon, the commentators saying it's Oregon, and the fans dressed up for an Oregon game

THEN I REALIZED IT WAS OREGON

My mind is blown. Took me like 8 minutes. Terrible brand identity if I do say so myself.

Again with this nonsense... Look, the goal of branding is to have a distinctive look. The whole "you can tell the teams apart by helmet logos/field/score bug" argument is dumb because teams should strive to look distinctive BECAUSE THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. Oregon gets a massive fail from that perspectvie with their kaleidoscope of colors. A fan looking at the game should instantly be able to recognize which teams are playing without even having to look at the helmet decal or score bug.

Otherwise, everyone could just wear "kewl" black monochromes with no striping at all and it would be just as good.

By the way, how would the fans dress up for an Oregon game? By wearing actual school colors? No, probably by wearing whatever colors they felt like because they were at Autzen and if you couldn't that they were cheering for Oregon you were dumb.

That's actually not true. Every home game, there is an anouncment of what color to wear. It alternates between Green, Yellow, and Black. We're not as color cooridinated as Boise State, but we do have most of the fans comply. Even then, if you're wearing anything other than Green or Yellow (Or black with Oregon stuff on it) then you'll get some peeved looks.

In the future, please refrain from assumptions when you have literally 0 idea what you're talking about.

Too bad their biggest branding failure was the biggest game in school history. Team comes out in volt and gray, coach is wearing green and black. Rest of the staff is wearing green and white. Cheerleaders, mascot, and the vast majority fans are wearing green and yellow.

To say that branding is not tied to color is utter nonsense. The world's two largest beverage brands tie themselves to color. So much so one resorted to emphasizing more blue to distance itself even more from the one that is predominately red.

The biggest problem with oregon and nike is that nike is diluting oregon's alternate colors. ASU's all black is very similar to the ducks and now rutgers with a silver helmet and all black uniform is a scheme familiar to the ducks as well. The only real differentiation between these black/black and black/silver color schemes is the small amount of accent colors which ends up being relegated to decals and outlines. At the current rate 50% of all D1 will have some black/gray/silver dominated alternate set.

Man, I was confused as to why the Raiders were playing a college team on Oregon's field, with the ticker saying it's Oregon, the commentators saying it's Oregon, and the fans dressed up for an Oregon game

My mind is blown. Took me like 8 minutes. Terrible brand identity if I do say so myself.

Again with this nonsense... Look, the goal of branding is to have a distinctive look. The whole "you can tell the teams apart by helmet logos/field/score bug" argument is dumb because teams should strive to look distinctive BECAUSE THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. Oregon gets a massive fail from that perspectvie with their kaleidoscope of colors. A fan looking at the game should instantly be able to recognize which teams are playing without even having to look at the helmet decal or score bug.

Otherwise, everyone could just wear "kewl" black monochromes with no striping at all and it would be just as good.

By the way, how would the fans dress up for an Oregon game? By wearing actual school colors? No, probably by wearing whatever colors they felt like because they were at Autzen and if you couldn't that they were cheering for Oregon you were dumb.

That's actually not true. Every home game, there is an anouncment of what color to wear. It alternates between Green, Yellow, and Black. We're not as color cooridinated as Boise State, but we do have most of the fans comply. Even then, if you're wearing anything other than Green or Yellow (Or black with Oregon stuff on it) then you'll get some peeved looks.

In the future, please refrain from assumptions when you have literally 0 idea what you're talking about.

Too bad their biggest branding failure was the biggest game in school history. Team comes out in volt and gray, coach is wearing green and black. Rest of the staff is wearing green and white. Cheerleaders, mascot, and the vast majority fans are wearing green and yellow.

To say that branding is not tied to color is utter nonsense. The world's two largest beverage brands tie themselves to color. So much so one resorted to emphasizing more blue to distance itself even more from the one that is predominately red.

The biggest problem with oregon and nike is that nike is diluting oregon's alternate colors. ASU's all black is very similar to the ducks and now rutgers with a silver helmet and all black uniform is a scheme familiar to the ducks as well. The only real differentiation between these black/black and black/silver color schemes is the small amount of accent colors which ends up being relegated to decals and outlines. At the current rate 50% of all D1 will have some black/gray/silver dominated alternate set.

To further this point, there's a brand up here called President's Choice. They make so-called generic brands you see next to the name brand stuff at grocery stores. They actually make two variations of their cola. Red label PC cola and blue label PC cola. Red label tastes more like Coke, blue label tastes more like Pepsi. It really speaks to how ingrained those colours are when it comes to the branding of those two companies.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat40002&catIds=109&next=25&productId=3933

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat40002&catIds=109&next=25&productId=16869

Another case of cola branding that busts the "colour isn't important to branding" myth would be the polar bear cans Coke released. People were complaining that they couldn't recognize the white cans as Coke. They had the iconic Coca-Cola logo, but because the colours weren't right the brand wasn't as strong.

Oh, Crichardson, your constant affinity for bashing Oregon and arguing with Spleen tells us all you're really KevinW.

We all know it, mods know it I'm sure. Tell me I'm wrong.

I bet this UA helmet has him seething too? just can't post anything about it or he'll give himself away. But the Oregon hatred is obvious enough.

To further this point, there's a brand up here called President's Choice. They make so-called generic brands you see next to the name brand stuff at grocery stores. They actually make two variations of their cola. Red label PC cola and blue label PC cola. Red label tastes more like Coke, blue label tastes more like Pepsi. It really speaks to how ingrained those colours are when it comes to the branding of those two companies.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat40002&catIds=109&next=25&productId=3933

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat40002&catIds=109&next=25&productId=16869

Another case of cola branding that busts the "colour isn't important to branding" myth would be the polar bear cans Coke released. People were complaining that they couldn't recognize the white cans as Coke. They had the iconic Coca-Cola logo, but because the colours weren't right the brand wasn't as strong.

I was specifically talking about college football. I would agree, that color is a large part of branding in most of the world. However, in College football, you can get away with using multiple colors.

Answer me this: if everyone recognized Oregon in the grey and volt, why was it a bad branding job? Isn't that what branding is supposed to do? Make them recognizable?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The problem is that they already had a colour scheme. Green and athletic gold/yellow. The Montreal Canadiens have worn red, white, and blue for a hundred years. They could switch to volt and grey next season and come up with an extensive marketing campaign to hype the new colours.

From a strictly branding perspective, sure it's ok. They would still be wearing the wrong colours though.

Also, I'm not sure the rules of branding suddenly change just because it's university football.

I was specifically talking about college football. I would agree, that color is a large part of branding in most of the world. However, in College football, you can get away with using multiple colors.

Answer me this: if everyone recognized Oregon in the grey and volt, why was it a bad branding job? Isn't that what branding is supposed to do? Make them recognizable?

Please explain how a college football team can get away with multiple colors and be as identifiable as before, but a soda company cannot. Much of your argument has been based on the "O" and the wings. How will you support your arguments when next year's jerseys come out and the tonal wings are barely visible?

DSC1107.jpg

At that point, Oregon looks just like any other team with a generic modernized number font and no other distinguishing traits. There is loads of brand equity in that "O" logo, but just to bank on that when you're wearing a new look every game does not sound like it equals a stable brand identity. They have an identity, yes, but not a clear cut, identifiable one.

Please explain how a college football team can get away with multiple colors and be as identifiable as before, but a soda company cannot. Much of your argument has been based on the "O" and the wings. How will you support your arguments when next year's jerseys come out and the tonal wings are barely visible?

DSC1107.jpg

At that point, Oregon looks just like any other team with a generic modernized number font and no other distinguishing traits. There is loads of brand equity in that "O" logo, but just to bank on that when you're wearing a new look every game does not sound like it equals a stable brand identity. They have an identity, yes, but not a clear cut, identifiable one.

You're telling me you would confuse that uniform with another school?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Whoever photoshopped that Arizona helmet did a terrible job. That decal is slanted forward way too much.

Agreed. I'm sure it was a fan (as opposed to someone actually affiliated with the project) that did it after news broke, bc why would Arizona use an internet template to do it?

Nope. That photo accompanied the announcement in the AD's weekly email.

Nope. That photo accompanied the announcement in the AD's weekly email.

Embarrassing. Maybe one of the athlet department interns made it then. You can easily tell it is from the same template used for 100s of photoshops. Odd choice.

DSC1107.jpg

No, because I pay attention to details and read this forum frequently. John Doe, who doesn't post daily on uniforms, however, does not know what to expect every week. Nor does he see the things he has grown to recognize the last few years. He sees no familiar wings from his zoomed out, standard TV view. Instead, he sees some sort of transparent glaze over the shoulders (which are unidentifiable until you're 10 feet away). He sees no green, no yellow, instead it's black, volt, and washed out urine. What part of that is representative of a recognizable brand?

At that point Oregon still has a unique color scheme.

While that new color may be unique, unless you watched the spring game, you've never seen this color for Oregon, and yet again, it just becomes another color that fans have to learn to associate with Oregon. When does it stop? As fans, we have to remember green, yellow, black, gray, silver, carbon, anthracite, volt, urine, etc... Unique does not mean recognizable. Especially when the unique set will be worn for one game, and then swapped out the following week.

Without a close up on the O, yes I would confuse that uniform for a gold/black team like Colorado or Purdue.

249663c25ca6b32c943b615281794c00-getty-89185856dp004_wyoming_v_col_medium.jpg

pair these jerseys up with black pants and helmets and yes honestly I'd probably confuse Oregon for Colorado. I love some of Oregon's uniforms, but they just have way too many combinations that dilute the identity. To me, you shouldn't build an identity off of not having one. I get that that's what they're going for, but it's just stupid. Fine add black all you want because black is a neutral color anyways (and I've given up on complaining about it. Not worth it), but once you get into the five different white jerseys and a billion helmets of three of the same color with just different textures, it gets old. I want to see Oregon represent their school; not Nike.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Without a close up on the O, yes I would confuse that uniform for a gold/black team like Colorado or Purdue.

Of course these are military uniforms so these fall outside of the norm, slightly.

But any of their regular uniforms are pretty unique schemes.

Holy crap, this discussion is downright unbearable. By this point everyone on this board already knows the arguments on both sides of the "Oregon branding strength" issue. Can we just accept at some point that some people think it's good and some think it's bad? It's not like there is some killer argument out there that is going to make one side agree with the other.

duty_calls.png

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

So has it been confirmed at this point that Oregon is indeed switching to the modified Belotti Bold font from the Rose Bowl?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived