Joe Paterno: Dead

Cujo

The topic at hand is Joe Paterno and the role he played in Jerry Sandusky's rape of children.

No its about Joe Paterno and all he has done. Don''t dismiss all he did for Penn State University and countless young men for almost half a century

Don't minimize all he didn't do for an ever increasing number of young boys for over a decade.

I'm not minimizing that at all, but everyone on here is completely ignoring the countless great things he did over the last 46 years.

Also, the initial reports said that when Paterno was told what happened with Sandusky in the football facility showers, Paterno told his superiors, which is who should handle the issue. Paterno could've done more, but he reportedly did what he was obligated to do.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a situation like that, you should do more than just your professional obligations. If you know a crime is being committed, you have a moral obligation to go to the police.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Again, what is "all the good" he did? He nominally coached a football team some really good athletes played on while delegating actual coaching tasks to assistants? So what?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Again, what is "all the good" he did? He nominally coached a football team some really good athletes played on while delegating actual coaching tasks to assistants? So what?

Dammit admiral, he was old. Old!

And he coached there for a very long time, like seriously crazy long. And he was SO nice, like seriously crazy nice. AND HE WAS SICK, you're so mean, admiral. You just don't understand.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It was the word of a 28 year old vs the word of a close friend of more than 28 years. Paterno did what he believed he should do. Joe paterno certainly wasn't a "scum bag" as has been said on this board

In his grand jury testimony, the GJ public report says that:

"Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report (about Sandusky) at his home on a Saturday morning (March 2). Paterno testified the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."

That does not include the lack of time reported by both McQuery and Paterno. Plus, the report says that Paterno talked to Curley not Schultz. And even if Schultz was told directly by Paterno on the situation, Schultz was just VP of Finance and Business Ops. He just was in oversight of the police budget and was still not a peace officer with investigative duties. Paterno telling Schultz was like if your neighbor was on the city council and you knew of a meth operation five houses away, in the backyard from your residence.

Honestly, I hate to say this, but Paterno was fired from the school while he had tenure and the cause was not specific for why he was fired. That is a basic "no-no", football coach or not. Part of the issue with the family was that fact. If he was not given tenure, the it would be much easier.

There are many other issues here too, but it is not worth debating about.

On the other side, the family donated $200K to Penn State after his firing. Was that donating back "blood money" as the family was doing for years? IDK.

Listen to the way Paterno's former players speak about him. Listen to anyone who knew Paterno speak of him with great revere. Joe Paterno made an undeniable positive impact on everyone he was around.

The way you guys ignore all Joe Paterno has done over the last 46 years at Penn State and during his entire life is disgraceful and pathetic

Listen to the way Paterno's former players speak about him. Listen to anyone who knew Paterno speak of him with great revere. Joe Paterno made an undeniable positive impact on everyone he was around.

The way you guys ignore all Joe Paterno has done over the last 46 years at Penn State and during his entire life is disgraceful and pathetic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

there you go

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Since Jerry Sandusky was Penn State Class of 1965 yet Paterno became Head Coach there in 1966 after 15 years as an assistant there, his legacy does not "reach" Jerry, huh?

Again you only focus on that incident. Yes, Paterno made a mistake, but it certainly doesn't diminish all he did in his time in State College

I hope you all don't truly feel they way you are posting

If one does 99 great things in life (that we know of) and one bad thing, which turns our to be egregious, than what?

Say the years of Sandusky molestation goes back past the 2002 incident(s) in which is now indicted for and Paterno knew about those like other Penn State cabinet members, then what? Spanier was there as a professor until 1982, but only as an executive since 1995. It is fair to say that there was an issue with Sandusky since there were three Grand Jury investigations on him before this latest one. Three.

There was surely smoke in Happy Valley...many people, including Paterno, decided not to smell it.

Again you only focus on that incident. Yes, Paterno made a mistake, but it certainly doesn't diminish all he did in his time in State College

Obviously Paterno has positively affected the lives of countless students and families. But any semi-decent coach could have positively influenced those players' careers. The kids getting their lives taken away from them in the shower? Well, only one man had enough power to put a stop to the conspiracy. He failed, and those kids will likely never recover from the trauma.

Your use of the word "incident" implies that you think this was just a one-off thing. In reality, this "incident" was really spread out over many years that involved many families. We choose to focus on this "incident" because it is a major factor in what this man's legacy will be. You can't just go passing serial child rape as some one-off accident.

In this situation, the bad undoubtedly outweighs the good, which is why many are taking the stance that they are.

A man can build 1000 bridges and :censored: one goat, he will not be known as a bridge builder, he'll be known as a goat :censored: er.

twitter

Yeah Mussolini got the trains running on time. Really, of all things are we gonna let something as trivial as covering up for a child rapist take aways from "all the good he did" (his job)? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Yeah Mussolini got the trains running on time. Really, of all things are we gonna let something as trivial as covering up for a child rapist take aways from "all the good he did" (his job)? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

First off did he 'cover up' for a child rapist, he did after all take the matter to a superior. Sure he could have done more, but that wording is troublesome to me.

Secondly 'take away from' is not the same as 'completely obliterate' which appears to be what some people around here want to happen. As if the Penn State Football program didn't exist in the 60s, 70s or 80s. It has taken away from his reputation, rightly so, but his actions over the Sanduskey situation shouldn't make us forget that he was a damned good football coach at his best.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

First off did he 'cover up' for a child rapist, he did after all take the matter to a superior. Sure he could have done more, but that wording is troublesome to me.

Secondly 'take away from' is not the same as 'completely obliterate' which appears to be what some people around here want to happen. As if the Penn State Football program didn't exist in the 60s, 70s or 80s. It has taken away from his reputation, rightly so, but his actions over the Sanduskey situation shouldn't make us forget that he was a damned good football coach at his best.

Yes, he did cover up for a rapist. His halfassed answer of "I told my bosses once" is complete crap. As mentioned here before, this is a mistake (if you could even call it a mistake) he knowingly and willing made each and every day from the time he found out until the time he got busted... to be clear Paterno did not have a moment of clarity and do the right thing... he got busted thats how we found out.

That "he did take it to his superiors" line is total crap If I reported to my boss something of this magnitude and nothing happened, you can be damn sure I would go to the college President and if nothing happened then I'd go to the news. Paterno did the "most he could do" so he could say "at least I did something" but at the same time would draw zero attention to the program (or himself). As said before, if Paterno exposed, fired and threw Sandusky to the wolves the moment he found out, Paterno in life and in death would be celebrated as a hero that did the right thing, and I promise you that I would be celebrating him as well. However, he decided to do the opposite and is reaping the results of it.

Secondly, to me, and clearly to many here, covering up for a child rapist in order to protect his own name, job and football program will completely obliterate his legacy to me and many. Yeah he was a good football coach, but he did cover up for a child rapist. Just like OJ will be known for murder, Vick for dog fighting, Tressel for scandal and McGwire for steroids, Paterno will be know as the great coach that ruined his legacy by covering up for a child rapist. We live and will be remembered by the decisions we make, Paterno decided to cover up for a child rapist.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Saintsfan, how do you repeatedly and continuously find yourself on the wrong side of issues? Is there a map?

I don't believe I am on the wrong side. I genuinely think the hounding of Paterno's legacy does a couple of things. First off it makes whatever Paterno did or didn't do worse than Sanduskey's actions by taking the heat off Sanduskey, secondly it allows people to make a judgement on whatever Paterno did, or didn't do, without knowing the full facts of the case.

None of which is to say that Paterno is blameless or faultless or that his legacy hasn't been rightly damaged.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The topic at hand is Joe Paterno and the role he played in Jerry Sandusky's rape of children.

No its about Joe Paterno and all he has done. Don''t dismiss all he did for Penn State University and countless young men for almost half a century

Knowingly allowing a child rapist to rape kids should overshadow being a good football coach.

I wonder how comforting that sentiment is to the kids who he allowed to get raped through his inaction?

Knowingly allowing a child rapist to rape kids should overshadow being a good football coach.

But what if he was really, really good and you were a fan of the team? :wacko:

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Archived