Joe Paterno: Dead

Cujo

I appreciate how everybody ignored the second part of that post. No, I wasn't condemning Republicans, I was just trying to point out that if we take some folks' logic to its ultimate conclusion we're going to condemn something in the high 90s percentage-wise of Americans to hell. And I'd rather not do that. Hence the call for maybe some backing off from utter blackness into a more fitting ambiguous gray.

There really is no grey area when it comes to this kind of thing. Sexually preying on children is pretty heinous. Paterno knowingly allowed it to happen. Not a lot of moral ambiguity here.

The topic at hand is Joe Paterno and the role he played in Jerry Sandusky's rape of children.

No its about Joe Paterno and all he has done. Don''t dismiss all he did for Penn State University and countless young men for almost half a century

Knowingly allowing a child rapist to rape kids should overshadow being a good football coach.

But what if he was really, really good and you were a fan of the team? :wacko:

It seems you don't even need to be a fan of Penn State to fall into the "JoPa was a saint!" camp. Turns out he was a bunch of people's proxy grandpa.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A year ago, could anyone outside of the football program have seen this as the endgame? I think this is probably the worst possible way the guy's career and life could've ended. Even covering up a murder (and who knows, with the reports of the crimes he let his players get away with, maybe he did) would've better than a child rape scandal.

and Penn State students rioting over the firing of a pedophilia enabler looks even dumber in retrospect now that he's dead only two months later. Essentially their stupid riot was even more vain.

I'm glad the news came out before Paterno croaked because if he had passed, say, a year ago, the media reports and drippy Tom Rinaldi stories would've been unbearably cloying. And we've learned that he doesn't deserve that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A man can build 1000 bridges and :censored: one goat, he will not be known as a bridge builder, he'll be known as a goat :censored: er.

OK, this is now the best post in this thread.

I read a quote by Eric Karros a few years back in Penthouse. He said "Hit one home run and you're not a home run hitter, but suck one dick and your a dick sucker".

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

drippy Tom Rinaldi

Jesus, man, in the name of privacy, you're supposed to call him "Victim 11".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Again you only focus on that incident. Yes, Paterno made a mistake, but it certainly doesn't diminish all he did in his time in State College

I hope you all don't truly feel they way you are posting

I'm sorry but, yes it does. He let a man he knew was a sick and twisted individual continue to molest little boys to his hearts content rather than do something about it. It couldn't have been much worse if Sandusky was murdering little boys on campus and Paterno knew about it (and who knows, killing them might have been more merciful than what Sandusky did). That is one of those acts that is so bad that it outweighs ALL the good you've done in your life. Not saying he was as bad as Sandusky, he clearly wasn't, but Paterno also made a heinous mistake that has destroyed his reputation and his credibility as a "good person". A good person would not have just passed a report like that "up the chain" and never followed up with it or not been appalled when Sandusky kept coming on campus. About the only excuse would have been that Paterno was senile, and last I checked he'd never been diagnosed as such. And even that would have been a questionable excuse.

I look at it this way, Sandusky was State College's pedophile priest. Paterno was the bishop that harbored him. And the school president was the cardinal who harbored them both. And we know how crap like this played out in the Catholic Church.

I look at it this way, Sandusky was State College's pedophile priest. Paterno was the bishop that harbored him. And the school president was the cardinal who harbored them both. And we know how crap like this played out in the Catholic Church.

A word of warning: this user is a practicing Catholic, and unlike several others, he is QUICK to report violations.

That said, I have reported any posts with such anti-Catholic bigotry in them...

bYhYmxh.png

A word of warning: this user is a practicing Catholic, and unlike several others, he is QUICK to report violations.

I think it's a very apt comparison. It's just not as broad as the church's.

Bill O'Brien is Penn State's version of Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston...he has to try to clean up the mess left by the previous regime, to restore honor and credibility where it was horribly broken, and attempt to heal the "flock" (football fans especially, but gradually this would spread to alumni as well) in the years to come.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think it's a very apt comparison. It's just not as broad as the church's.

Bill O'Brien is Penn State's version of Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston...he has to try to clean up the mess left by the previous regime, to restore honor and credibility where it was horribly broken, and attempt to heal the "flock" (football fans especially, but gradually this would spread to alumni as well) in the years to come.

That comparison I can respect.

bYhYmxh.png

2rzcunr.gif

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2rzcunr.gif

And :censored: us all for the limber- :censored: ed :censored: :censored: ers we are anyway.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just a warning, this lifetime Catholic whose own childhood parish priest turned out to be one of the pedophiles who was then spirited away and hidden by the diocese bishop really doesn't care if you don't like the truth of our church's dirty laundry... As someone mentioned above the comparison is apt. Talking about it isn't wrong and certainly isn't "bigotry". What IS wrong is not talking about it or pretending it doesn't exist. Much like the folks in State College have been doing this week and much like they did for most of the last two decades. Not talking about it is how crap like this spreads so far and gets so out of control.

And I do like the O'Malley comparison as well. It also fits quite nicely with what O'Brien is going to have to do.

I think it's truly unfortunate that you all let the man's inaction on one occasion cloud your judgment of what he did for the town of State College and for the University. Before JoePa arrived, Penn State was a second-tier agricultural school. Now they are an AAU Member Institution and a renowned research university. Much of that can be attributed by the rise of the football program along with the academic standards of integrity that Paterno held his players to.

Regardless of what you think about JoePa's inaction during the Sandusky travesty, at least let the man have some peace in his death.

One occasion of ignoring child rape makes anything else you did in your life meaningless.

Does this extend to other forms of child abuse? And would you agree that forcing a child to go through food insecurity constitutes child abuse?

What do you mean by "food insecurity"? The only food related comparable to ignoring reports of anal rape of a child by someone you knew I can think of is ignoring reports of a child locked up somewhere being intentionally starved.

So you're cool with the whole 1 in 6 American children (yeah it's that high folks!) who, with the structural support programs we have to combat said problems, still will experience genuine, our house has no food, hunger at some or multiple points in their childhood. I don't know about you, but I think that is quite abusive as well and certainly as damaging to that much idealized notion of childhood innocence as an authority figure sticking their dick up your ass.

Yeah, you're not really convincing me of the equivalency of these issues. There is a major difference between direct abuse and indirect systemic issues.

Abuse and neglect are not always the same thing.

Paterno's beginning his long term investment in subterranean real estate today, and Deadspin has featured a tremendous call out to one of the worst Paterno apologists, Joe Posnanski.

http://deadspin.com/5879169/a-plea-to-joe-posnanski-stop-writing-mealy+mouthed-nonsense-about-joe-paterno

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Posnanski had been living in State College for like a year to write about Paterno before all this went down; there's a certain level of Stockholm Syndrome that you have to account for when you spend that much time in Rapey Valley. He's really a good writer otherwise. I forgive him.

So how many of us are getting lots of Joe Paterno garbage on our facebook feeds? It inspired this conversation with a pal:

friend: DON'T DISAGREE OR WE'RE NOT FRIENDS ANYMORE

THIS IS HOW MUCH I CARE ABOUT DEFENDING SOMEONE I NEVER MET

me: Thank your lucky stars this wasn't in Champaign! Imagine [other friend's name redacted]!

friend: thank god it wasn't the chief raping children. imagine.

me: Now that's a mental picture!

friend: well, as long as he was trained in how to do it by real pedophiles

I'm a bad guy :(

http://deadspin.com/5879688/

Phil Knight doing some huckstering to the jonestown idiots to keep them buying that merch.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/penn_state/138095758.html

Bill Lyon of the Philadelphia Inquirer writes .... that. Just read it.

twitter

So how many of us are getting lots of Joe Paterno garbage on our facebook feeds? It inspired this conversation with a pal:

friend: DON'T DISAGREE OR WE'RE NOT FRIENDS ANYMORE

THIS IS HOW MUCH I CARE ABOUT DEFENDING SOMEONE I NEVER MET

me: Thank your lucky stars this wasn't in Champaign! Imagine [other friend's name redacted]!

friend: thank god it wasn't the chief raping children. imagine.

me: Now that's a mental picture!

friend: well, as long as he was trained in how to do it by real pedophiles

I'm a bad guy :(

I am. Two of my cousins went to Penn State and they and their parent all drank the Koolaid. What's worse is that their father went to Ohio State and drank the Tressel koolaid as well. Very delusional my family...

Archived