Joe Paterno: Dead

Cujo

I believe Paterno should've been gone a long time ago, due to his age. Yes, he did not do more once he found out, but he did do what he was supposed to. My view of him definately did change after everything came to light, but I don't necessarily think he's responsible for it all. It's a little confusing, I guess. I really don't wish his death. I truly believe his old age just complicated things so much, and a lot of the mess happened due to it. Again, he probably should have retired a long time ago and the administration should've pushed for that. He may very well have not been in his right mind and football seemed to be the only thing that got through to him. That's a sign it's time to go. But it was Sandusky who did these horrific crimes, not Paterno. And while he should've done more, I don't believe he enabled Sandusky to continue. Again, it's a little mixed emotion, in regards to Paterno. But I certainly do not celebrate his passing.

Sandusky on the other hand, he can rot in hell. Send him to prison and let his fellow inmates show him what they think of child molestors/abusers.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's truly unfortunate that you all let the man's inaction on one occasion cloud your judgment of what he did for the town of State College and for the University. Before JoePa arrived, Penn State was a second-tier agricultural school. Now they are an AAU Member Institution and a renowned research university. Much of that can be attributed by the rise of the football program along with the academic standards of integrity that Paterno held his players to.

Regardless of what you think about JoePa's inaction during the Sandusky travesty, at least let the man have some peace in his death.

+1

what some other people have said makes me sick

rip jo pa

today we all are penn st

Shouldn't you be making a "Mediocre NASLers of the 1970s" thread? That seems a bit more on your level.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I agree with what Matt Millen said. This whole thing is probably what truly killed him. I do believe he fully regrets not doing more. And like I said before, it's truly a bag of mixed emotions. With the severity of the crimes, it's so hard to get past it, but he was not the one who committed them. He did do what he was supposed to, but failed to go beyond. It's difficult to overlook that. It's really just a big confusion. BUT, I do NOT celebrate his passing. He was not a terrible person, just someone who did not do more. That can't be easy to live with. And it may very well have been what eventually took his life, disguised as an illness.

This reminds me of airline pilots. They have to get health checks twice a year and until recently, could fly until age 60. So we can conclude they were in good health until that age. Yet many only live a few years after retirement and one theory is that their profession is so much of who they are that they just nosedive (pardon the expression) when that goes away.

I knew an executive at American who was a company man in the best way. He really loved it. His father worked there too and one or the other of them had worked at AA from 1934 to when this man died in 2003. We used to joke that he probably wore his company service pin on his pajamas. He was battling cancer when 9/11 happened and it gutted him. I will always believe those terrorists killed him too because it was so hard for all of us, and especially someone like him, to deal with our company being used as a weapon against America.

So it's totally possible that the Sandusky scandal and the resulting kick to the curb figured into Paterno's rapid decline and death. We'll never know.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I believe Paterno should've been gone a long time ago, due to his age. Yes, he did not do more once he found out, but he did do what he was supposed to. My view of him definately did change after everything came to light, but I don't necessarily think he's responsible for it all. It's a little confusing, I guess. I really don't wish his death. I truly believe his old age just complicated things so much, and a lot of the mess happened due to it. Again, he probably should have retired a long time ago and the administration should've pushed for that. He may very well have not been in his right mind and football seemed to be the only thing that got through to him. That's a sign it's time to go. But it was Sandusky who did these horrific crimes, not Paterno. And while he should've done more, I don't believe he enabled Sandusky to continue. Again, it's a little mixed emotion, in regards to Paterno. But I certainly do not celebrate his passing.

Sandusky on the other hand, he can rot in hell. Send him to prison and let his fellow inmates show him what they think of child molestors/abusers.

In 2004, administrators, including the school president, went to Joe Paterno after a 4-7 season and asked him to step down. He told them in no uncertain terms that he would not, and that was that. That tells you, official titles be damned, what the real power structure at Penn State was, and what Joe Paterno could have done if he could have been bothered, or if he had ever heard of rape and a man.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think it's truly unfortunate that you all let the man's inaction on one occasion cloud your judgment of what he did for the town of State College and for the University. Before JoePa arrived, Penn State was a second-tier agricultural school. Now they are an AAU Member Institution and a renowned research university. Much of that can be attributed by the rise of the football program along with the academic standards of integrity that Paterno held his players to.

Regardless of what you think about JoePa's inaction during the Sandusky travesty, at least let the man have some peace in his death.

+1

rip jo pa

today we all are penn st

Sorry, but I am not an enabler of child molestation who later tried to pass the predator on to another Penn State campus.

I hope that Ann and Bobby Bowden woke up today and said, "Scoreboard!"

Sorry, but I am not an enabler of child molestation who later tried to pass the predator on to another Penn State campus.

exactly.

The man was a willful enabler and protector of a child rapist, and no amount of "PENN STATE WOO!" can ever wash that away.

Even when the scandal came out, he continued to think of nobody but himself. The man was a disgraceful human being wrapped up in rhetoric as lofty as it was hollow.

New definition for "Paterno": Scumbag.

exactly.

The man was a willful enabler and protector of a child rapist, and no amount of "PENN STATE WOO!" can ever wash that away.

Even when the scandal came out, he continued to think of nobody but himself. The man was a disgraceful human being wrapped up in rhetoric as lofty as it was hollow.

New definition for "Paterno": Scumbag.

THIS. I will not dance on the man's grave, but I will not mourn him either.

He did not die, as Matt Millen (among others) said, "a broken heart". He died of a guilty conscience.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I agree with what Matt Millen said. This whole thing is probably what truly killed him. I do believe he fully regrets not doing more. And like I said before, it's truly a bag of mixed emotions. With the severity of the crimes, it's so hard to get past it, but he was not the one who committed them. He did do what he was supposed to, but failed to go beyond. It's difficult to overlook that. It's really just a big confusion. BUT, I do NOT celebrate his passing. He was not a terrible person, just someone who did not do more. That can't be easy to live with. And it may very well have been what eventually took his life, disguised as an illness.

Completely agree on both counts.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I won't remember Joe Paterno for the Jerry Sandusky scandal. I'll remember him from my seat in the upper deck of Ohio Stadium in 2006 as I watched him charge across the field because he had diarrhea.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Today we are all pants- :censored: ters.

Wow, I didn't think he would go this soon.

He had cancer. And was 85 years old.

What, did you think JoePa was going to live to see 100? Come on man.

I'm sure it's in relation to how quickly this has come after being fired.

46 years at Penn State, then (in all likelihood) dies about four months after being fired.

Well, I always thought that death would follow quickly after Paterno was relieved of his coaching duties. I guess not everyone thought that way.

All of this.

spacer.png

+1

What Paterno did, enabling a child rapist for a decade, makes me sick.

Priorities, man.

rip jo pa

today we all are penn st

Nope.

Such a horrible way to pass away.

Surrounded by family, feted by millions. The sheer horror of it all.

Somewhere in a prison cell, Orenthal James Simpson is keeping hope that he'll be remembered for his football career, rather than what happened after it.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived