Sochi 2014 Olympic Hockey

TimEOBrien

I think sometimes it's tough for people to comment on so many concepts. Also, some people only comment on stuff they think sucks. Others only comment on things they really like. Many people only comment on things that involve some sort of crazy, polarizing idea. If you want more comments, stir the pot with something more controversial.

Helvetica doesn't work well for the numerals on the Swiss set. Maybe you can pull it off by customizing them a bit, making them bolder and slightly more even in line weight and character, but they don't work well for uniform numbers right out of the box.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think sometimes it's tough for people to comment on so many concepts. Also, some people only comment on stuff they think sucks. Others only comment on things they really like. Many people only comment on things that involve some sort of crazy, polarizing idea. If you want more comments, stir the pot with something more controversial.

I agree with andrew. I feel like I've seen almost all of this stuff before, not only on your thread here Tim, but on the concepts boards in general.

In the flood of material that rushes through these pages, your work could be excellent, but if it doesn't "stand out" in some way, (either positively, negatively or uniquely), it's gonna fly through.

Fregus just recently posted almost identical Swedish uniforms, with the 3-stripe look.

So far your Russian unis IMO are the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates:

OK, so I've made some changes:

Canada

Canada_Display_2.jpg

New helmets for both home and road but the sleeves on the home also change to mimic those on the road.

Czech Republic

CzechRep_Display_2.jpg

New uniforms from top to bottom, home and road. No more yellow and black striping on the hems, no more checkerboard. Now, plainer colors and the pants get replaced by black breezers with a gold stripe.

Minor fixes to Russia and Finland. Russia's eagle was the wrong eagle (which I was informed would've been illegal by Russian law) and I fixed the layout of "Suomi" on the Finish unis.

Interesting helmet idea, but that would look really bad on the ice. Too much individuality for a 'uniform', IMO. Patches, maybe. But a whole helmet would look weird.

As far as the jerseys, I feel like they're a bit 'blah' for such a powerhouse. I would look at some font modifications as well. The typography you used looks like it's designed to be used for print, and not on a jersey-- in short, it should be more of a block version.

I've been saying for years that national teams should have flags of the players' home states/home provinces as patches somewhere on the uniform, regardless of sport.

Tim, I like Canada and love the USA, Russia and Sweden.

spacer.png

Archived