2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Thing is Notre Dame vs Alabama sells. Thats how the BCS determines championship games.

The thing that sells isn't necessarily the actual matchup; it's more of "can the underdog [insert non-SEC team] beat the favorite [insert SEC team] and end the SEC's reign?"

The thing that sells is the selling of the social/cultural polarization aspect of the game.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit, UGA could easily have been playing in this game and winning the NC right now. Argh, the agony of sports.

I honestly think Georgia would've lost to Notre Dame. I still remember the smacking South Carolina laid on them, and look at how many points Georgia happened to play their best game of the year at the right time. Also look at how many points they let Nebraska score. Georgia - ND would've been much closer.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wherein the REAL solution lies is teams actually playing top non-conference opponents. Props to the schools like Alabama this year, LSU last year, and Oregon last year who scheduled big games in their non-conference schedule rather than attempt to go undefeated against a weak schedule and sneak in.

Thing is Notre Dame vs Alabama sells. Thats how the BCS deterkines championship games. You can only imagine the revenue gained in this one game

Or maybe, just maybe, there wasn't an alternative to ND in this game? A reminder that everyone's favorite suggestion of Oregon in the game lost to Stanford at home where Notre Dame beat Stanford at home...

Notre Dame draws casual fans into the game who support underdogs. I doubt Oregon would draw as many fans since it's a familiar scenario that no ones wants to see. Or at least, the majority among casual fans

Midway.png

That is the problem I have with your idea and the proposed. Conference tie-ins are what is wrong with BCS now. Who says the #1 team in the Big East is better than the #3 in the Big 12? Your last statement is confusing and cancels out your first.

Unless each conference adopts a scheduling format like the Big 12 where everyone plays everyone, then the system will be faulty and room for complaining will exist. How can we let a #1 from the ACC make it to a BCS bowl game (or in this case, the playoffs), when they were crushed by a #5 SEC team at the end of the season?

There has to be room for more than 2 teams from each conference. The poll system sucks because of human bias...and the computer system is no good because humans don't trust it. Crappy situation that we can only hope to find the best of.

1. I don't care. No it's not. It doesn't.

2. There are going to be complaints no matter what - not the least of which would be your annual whining over the SEC getting no more than two teams in the playoff. Any playoff is going to have "faults." There is simply no way to get rid of people complaining about teams being left out of a playoff. Think I'm wrong? Take a look at the basketball tournament. 65 teams get in and people still bitch about who got left out. If the #5 SEC team wants in, they'll need to find a way to be better than #5. A fifth place team has no business playing for the national championship anyway.

3. Why? So teams like South Carolina will still get a shot even thought they finished 5th? If you want better odds, change conferences. Or get better.

Two of the biggest arguments against a playoff are a.) it would diminish the regular season. Under my playoff, the regular season is even more important than it is now. b.) the bowls don't want it because of their conference tie-ins. My playoffs address both of those arguments.

Finally, you'll have to do better than "I don't like it because my favorite team conference might not get 5 teams in the playoff.

BB52Big.jpg

A playoff system would certainly help curb some of the SEC bias, so I'm all for that. If Florida's the #3 team in the nation this regular season, I'm a god damned astronaut.

FCS does it right. I had more fun watching Georgia Southern v. Old Dominion than I did most of the bowl games this season. Playoffs mean more IMO, because you have to be consistently good over the course of a few games. 16 would be great, but it could be a nightmare to schedule with all the tie ins. Solution: Eff the bowls, and do playoffs like every other league (and every level of college football) does in this country. What true CFB fan WOULDN'T want to see a home playoff game at a place like Camp Randall or Autzen?

Then again, the Sun Bowl is just... You can't beat the scenery.

That is the problem I have with your idea and the proposed. Conference tie-ins are what is wrong with BCS now. Who says the #1 team in the Big East is better than the #3 in the Big 12? Your last statement is confusing and cancels out your first.

Unless each conference adopts a scheduling format like the Big 12 where everyone plays everyone, then the system will be faulty and room for complaining will exist. How can we let a #1 from the ACC make it to a BCS bowl game (or in this case, the playoffs), when they were crushed by a #5 SEC team at the end of the season?

There has to be room for more than 2 teams from each conference. The poll system sucks because of human bias...and the computer system is no good because humans don't trust it. Crappy situation that we can only hope to find the best of.

1. We don't. But we also don't know if the #3 Big 12 team is better than the #1 Big East team ether. And considering the Big East team won their conference and the Big 12 team didn't, I'm okay with assuming that they were a better team.

2. If the poll systems (human and computer) suck because of bias and lack of trust, then we're left with nothing and conference tie-ins are all that's left.

If you're not the best in your conference, then why should you have a claim to a chance at a national title?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I'm just saying that in your scenarios, I would prefer South Carolina drop out of the SEC and join the Big East or ACC...while scheduling Coastal Carolina and SC State as their out of conference opponents every year. Why make it difficult? It will give them the best chance at more wins and winning their conference. Doesn't mean they are necessarily any better of a team, though...just that they are more successful in the win column. See how that works?

All I am saying is that if we are focused on having great matchups and worthy teams and PREVENTING something like last night happening again (like you are all complaining about), then why setup yourself up for it again? If a conference has a champion but two other stud 1-loss teams (neither who played the conference champion)...and they get passed over in the playoff system by champion from another conference who beat zero ranked teams. How is that proactive in determining who the champion is...which, should ultimately be "who the best team in college football is"?

How come we can't keep the BCS but just take the Top 10 teams period...give #1 and #2 a bye and go 3vs10, 4vs9, 5vs8, 6vs7 to start it all off?

Or, South Carolina should just go Independent. Let the NCAA make up some special rules for them, too.

If you're not the best in your conference, then why should you have a claim to a chance at a national title?

Because there is the possibility that you didn't play your conference champion and there are 2-3 really great teams in that conference...in comparison to a conference whose champion may not snuff .500 in the aforementioned.

FYI, when I said "there has to be room for more than 2 teams from a conference"...I didn't mean that must happen each year. I meant the language has to leave space for it to happen, should the quality of teams support it.

I don't quite get why folks are saying "The BCS is flawed", especially after a game is played. If it were a 1-point game, would folks still be saying that? Doubt it.

Anyway, the BCS isn't as flawed as some think it is. The BCS's lone responsibility is to come up with the two best teams for a NCG, and that's it. Folks complained that human voters had too much say, so they use computers and various formulas for the different computers. Notre Dame was the lone undefeated team left, and the computers felt that Notre Dame played a strong enough schedule to warrant inclusion into the championship game. It wasn't like Notre Dame played a WAC or Mountain West schedule....they did beat Stanford, Oklahoma, and Michigan (three teams that finished the season ranked).

Once the polls decide which teams are #1 and #2, responsibility falls into the various bowl committee's hands as far as picking teams to play in their bowls.

I don't quite get why folks are saying "The BCS is flawed", especially after a game is played. If it were a 1-point game, would folks still be saying that? Doubt it.

Anyway, the BCS isn't as flawed as some think it is. The BCS's lone responsibility is to come up with the two best teams for a NCG, and that's it. Folks complained that human voters had too much say, so they use computers and various formulas for the different computers. Notre Dame was the lone undefeated team left, and the computers felt that Notre Dame played a strong enough schedule to warrant inclusion into the championship game. It wasn't like Notre Dame played a WAC or Mountain West schedule....they did beat Stanford, Oklahoma, and Michigan (three teams that finished the season ranked).

Once the polls decide which teams are #1 and #2, responsibility falls into the various bowl committee's hands as far as picking teams to play in their bowls.

That's what I don't get. Notre Dame (for once) actually played a legit schedule. Granted, some might say that they were extremely fortunate to get through that schedule undefeated, but lucky or not, they finished the regular season with a 0 in the L column (& didn't have any sanctions on them like our friends in Columbus) & they deserved to be there. And just like they legitimately deserved to be there, they got legitimately crushed by the best team in the nation. Sometimes we get classics like the Texas-USC Rose Bowl, sometimes we get competitive-yet-bad games like Auburn-Oregon, and sometimes we get DUDS like we got last night. It happens. Doesn't mean the system is broken beyond all belief.

I could understand this talk last year when Oklahoma State arguably should've been in the title game over LSU or even Alabama, but this year the system did its job. Also don't get why people are complaining about a system that will eventually be phased out in favor of a (small) playoff, but that's another story for another day.

It's flawed because it's not a playoff. It did it's job. But it's job is not enough. We need more than that. In a playoff, Notre Dame, would've rightfully been knocked out in the first round.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The biggest flaw is the month-plus off between games. At the professional level there's usually concern about how a team is going to look after a single week off in the playoffs, and here these kids are with an entire month off.

My big take away from this game, in addition to last years game, is that if you give Nick Saban a month to prepare for a game, there's no beating him. The man can coach.

I'd be curious to see how the game might've gone had Notre Dame been given the recovery on the muffed punt following their first drive instead of that penalty being, in my opinion, wrongly called. Surely they would've lost the game, but maybe had they gotten a score and made it 7-7 or 7-3 instead of Alabama driving to go up 14-0 they'd have gained a little confidence and made more of a game of it.

IUe6Hvh.png

Agreed. Alabama was clearly the better team, but it seemed like ND never really recovered from that call. Although it could be a cute symbol of the Irish's luck finally running out. (groan)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I have been seeing this on this thread for a while, but I don't know it's origin. Can someone explain to me the whole PAWWWWLLLLL thing? I googled it (as best I could) and I think it has to do with Paul Finebaum, Alabama-based sports reporter/author, but is there some story behind it?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I have been seeing this on this thread for a while, but I don't know it's origin. Can someone explain to me the whole PAWWWWLLLLL thing? I googled it (as best I could) and I think it has to do with Paul Finebaum, Alabama-based sports reporter/author, but is there some story behind it?

That is pretty much it. Finebaum has a syndicated radio show focused primarily completely on the SEC. LightsOut like to allude to the strong Southern accent of many callers and how they pronounce Paul's name with a drawl.

That is pretty much it. Finebaum has a syndicated radio show focused primarily on the SEC and LightsOut like to allude to the strong Southern accent of many callers and how they pronounce Paul's name with a drawl.

Actually, I did think it was a "CCSLC" thing until I saw it elsewhere today...but if that answer is that it represents the drawl, then I guess that answers my question. When I read it, I always envisioned more of a scream and I'd thought it referenced some vigorous or angry SEC fan making a particular call to Paul's radio show or something. Thanks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That is pretty much it. Finebaum has a syndicated radio show focused primarily on the SEC and LightsOut like to allude to the strong Southern accent of many callers and how they pronounce Paul's name with a drawl.

Actually, I did think it was a "CCSLC" thing until I saw it elsewhere today...but if that answer is that it represents the drawl, then I guess that answers my question. When I read it, I always envisioned more of a scream and I'd thought it referenced some vigorous or angry SEC fan making a particular call to Paul's radio show or something. Thanks.

Yeah, I don't know why the caps are always used by LightsOut. Makes sense for the ESS EEE SEE thing because it's a chant, so I dunno. Some guys do get really fired up when they call in, so that could be it.

To help you place his show, the guy who poisoned the trees at Toomer's Corner first admitted to doing it on the air with Finebaum.

Why is everyone (not just here) acting like this was the first time there was a blowout in a NCG?

There have been 7 "blowouts" (2 touchdowns or more) since the BCS started vs. 8 non blowouts. This is hardly a "new" problem having 2 mismatched teams.

Archived